New LS650 maybe (Read 10 times)
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New LS650 maybe
08/31/07 at 07:41:29

Hey folks, longtime lurker here.

Am looking at a 98 Ls650 for 1200.    seems in fair shape, a little rust...paints a bit faded.    Seems to run well, and the guy that is selling it is an actual bike mechanic. *hopes fervently he's already done the carb work*

I saw it start up cold this am, idled within a minute with no choke.   No weird noises etc.

Belt looked alright, tires are good.   One lil dent in the tank. No biggie.    It's seen some weather here and there though.     Anything in particular i should look for other than the usual?   10k on the clock. Bike would be for a newbie, my GF (she had her eye firmly glued on a 1100 spirit)    I didn't notice any oil seeping anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New LS650 maybe
Reply #1 - 08/31/07 at 08:34:53

I bought a '96 for that.  And the only major issue I've had is cam chain mod after 5k miles for tons of smiles.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/31/07 at 09:04:49

thats a good deal. i got my 98 for the same $ but it had 17k on the odo. all i had to do was a clutch and cam chain and plug cap leak and carb jets. sounds like alot but it wasn't so bad.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 08/31/07 at 09:59:35

That's what I bought my 2000 LS650 for with just over 12000 on the odometer. Now I have almost 14000 and needs a new camchain.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/31/07 at 11:28:44

I bought a 98 three years ago with 1640 on her for $2200 and have been quite happy.  I installed the modded cam chain adjuster at just shy of 10K miles and would suggest you check yours to know where you stand since there seems to be wide variance in the wear.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/31/07 at 11:57:47

I am beginning to think the cam chain can go be hanged on this one.

The GF is blowing hot and cold. Enthusiastic one minute...absolutely doesn't care at all the next.    No true biker I know would Not be all butterflied up and unwilling to get into the buying process.    Which she is.    And that's fine.     But i'm sick of doing her legwork for her, and getting nothing but...oh just let it go everytime a small hurdle pops up.

If she doesn't want to ride her own ride...I'm totally for that.    If she does I'm 100% for that too.    She protests that "it's too much hassle" and "I don't really think it's worth all the hassle" or even once "I just don't care right now"   Can you find me one new biker, contemplating their first bike that would say these blasphemous things?

On her enthusiastic side I get, "Ohhh it fits me just right", "I Really like the way it looks" and "I can have that paid off in no time flat" or "Ohhh I want it, when can we get it home.    I want to try some parking lot stuff on it!"   gyah!

Women confuse me.    Confuse me very bad.     yes or no. sheesh.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/31/07 at 12:06:21

Might want to show her some of islandwahine's, FreeSpirit's and skatnbnc's  posts.  

As for see-sawing,  don't we all do that once in a while on big purchases.  The "I gotta have it" then look at bills and say "Wow that's soooo much"  then see a picture of it again and say "gotta have it" all over again.....

As for confusion,  wait till you marry one.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/31/07 at 13:13:07

beware the wishy washy, but it will be your fault anyway.

as for the bike, if I came accross one that died due to laziness, cheap, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

You found a living one for a reasonable price, go forth and smile.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/31/07 at 14:23:53

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Might want to show her some of islandwahine's, FreeSpirit's and skatnbnc's  posts.  

As for see-sawing,  don't we all do that once in a while on big purchases.  The "I gotta have it" then look at bills and say "Wow that's soooo much"  then see a picture of it again and say "gotta have it" all over again.....

As for confusion,  wait till you marry one.......

And, for the Mormons of old & the Sheiks who still have more than one wife, How the heck can ya DOOO that?

I can understand someone who has never owned a bike waffling on the idea. Once she has it & gets comfortable with it, she wont ever want to be without one. Theres just something about the smell of the air early in the morning, & even thru a helmet visor, the world feels closer than thru a windshield. I just finished getting creamed, but I know I am still gonna be riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 08/31/07 at 16:17:49

Yes piloting a bike is the closest thing to flying an open cockpit airplane as you can come, without leaving the ground.  Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/01/07 at 16:38:13

95 savage was my training bike for the first time, and i couldnt think of a better bike to start on. Thats a good price and tell your girly she dont need an 1100 to start on. Bad idea. somthing cheep that can be droped (god forbid) because newbees do that at least once.

Ive been tring to talk my girly into it but she is looken at bandit 600's or SV 650's. So i guess im glad she is staying in the Suzuki family. I myself moved up to a bandit 1200 and i think she just wants to keep up.

Keep pushen her on the savage, shell love it. i promise

IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 09/04/07 at 11:36:28

I understand the wishy-washy in the sense that....oh it's not really practical for carrying all my junk yadda yadda that non-riders don't really know about until they try it.

This wasn't that kind of thing....It was complete apathy.    Not...ohhh i want it but.... it was....I don't give a crap.    Lets go read a book about partridges.

I think *read that as know* that once she gets some pilot time..she'll ride more than I do.    She already pesters hell out of to take her for rides on the back of my horribly uncomfy c50. (bumpy roads, and ive got my suspension set danged stiff.)    Being in CONTROL and riding...will make her ears ring.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 09/04/07 at 11:51:34

My 2 cents! Not all women are wishy washy about decisions!
I've been wanting a bike for so long, but could never afford one (single mom). So then I got these checks in the mail from one of my credit cards, and an idea struck me. Use the check (high APR) then use balance transfer option from other card (low APR) and voila! No hassle bike loan. Then one day someone suggested Craigslist, I left an add saying I was looking for a Virago or Rebel (wanted to start slow). The next day I got an email from a guy I actually knew on the island, saying he had a bike for sale but it was a 650. My first thought was too big, but I was so exited that he only wanted $1000 for it that I hopped into the car (forgot about work) and went to see it. Love at first sight (She needed a lot of work though, very rusty and beat up). He left the keys in the ignition (you can still do that here) and told me to take her out for a spin and see if I liked her. She was easy to ride!
Since then (you can count the posts) I've been  having to do a lot of work on her, but it has been worth it. If I really want something I jump through hoops to get there, no wishywashyness.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 09/04/07 at 14:23:35

roscowgo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The GF is blowing hot and cold.
Can you find me one new biker, contemplating their first bike that would say these blasphemous things?
Women confuse me.    Confuse me very bad.     yes or no. sheesh.

New biker + first bike = she could be excited and SCARED. It's a big thing.

My suggestion would be that she take the MSF class and after she passes it, SHE can look for a bike.

Why are YOU taking on all the responsibility?

Heeheehee. Yeah, women confuse, we can't help it. No offense.  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 09/05/07 at 06:02:54

Well, i had all the responsibility, because she Told me to take over.

I think the direct quote was, "Will, go look at this bike and see what you think, if you can talk them down to a reasonable price and then get the loan, I'll gladly pay for it."   (she has much much better credit than I do, she actually found the spirit first, and i talked her down off of it a little.   I think an 1100 is just too much for that first bike. too heavy, power etc) After that I hear "Well, since that one isn't a good idea would you take the time off and go around town and look around the dealers for a more suitable beginner bike?"

And she would.    If i know her she'd starve herself and pay 300% payments till it was all gone.   To myself I think...ok she wants me to handle the aggravating part, thats fine, I can understand that.

To get through all the aggravating parts, and run my butt off, and take time off work etc etc etc....then get hit with a (another direct quote) "I don't care.   What are we eating for supper?"   is incredibly frustrating.  Especially when you toss in the Oh it fits me greats, and the Ohhhhh i want it so bad, the more i talk about it the more i want it.......

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:12:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New LS650 maybe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.