Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike" (Read 642 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike"
08/23/07 at 05:42:46

I finally got around to lowering the the front end. It only took about 45 min. with the fab work Ill post post a how too but, dont really need pics if you have removed the fork before. follow the manuel until you have l loosend the bottom allen bolt, then pull the fork tube out. pour out oil, take a wooden dowel or broomstick Thanks to max morley for this one. make a square, taped end to fit  in the end of the damper . put the dowel into the damper and with a light tap of hammer your there, now take the allen bolt out. pull the damper out. Add your length spacer to the bottom of the damper after the spring. reinstall. now cut the the metal spacer at the top cut less than the length of the spacer at the bottom to have extra preload or same for stock preload. now add the fork oil or ATF  and put it all back together. The nice thing about doing this is you dont have to pull for seals or anything out of the forks. Its a breeze I'll have pics some time today or tomorrow if you want pics heres is the link to what I used to help me

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5317

Go down about half way to Scrapers' post the theory is the same for all forks but we dont have to cut our springs

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: I DID IT YEA.
Reply #1 - 08/23/07 at 05:57:45

Cool!  I can't wait to see pictures of yours.  The Jockey Journal is a great site, as is it's sister site the Jalopy Journal.  The H.A.M.B. has helped me out with my '58 on more than one occasion.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 08/23/07 at 11:39:13

cFLOW wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I finally got around to lowering the the front end. It only took about 45 min. with the fab work Ill post post a how too but, dont really need pics if you have removed the fork before. follow the manuel until you have l loosend the bottom allen bolt, then pull the fork tube out. pour out oil, take a wooden dowel or broomstick Thanks to max morley for this one. make a square, taped end to fit  in the end of the damper . put the dowel into the damper and with a light tap of hammer your there, now take the allen bolt out. pull the damper out. Add your length spacer to the bottom of the damper after the spring. reinstall. now cut the the metal spacer at the top cut less than the length of the spacer at the bottom to have extra preload or same for stock preload. now add the fork oil or ATF  and put it all back together. The nice thing about doing this is you dont have to pull for seals or anything out of the forks. Its a breeze I'll have pics some time today or tomorrow if you want pics heres is the link to what I used to help me

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5317

Go down about half way to Scrapers' post the theory is the same for all forks but we dont have to cut our springs

Perfect timing!
I need to do this myself this weekend, and desperately wanted some pics to go with it.
I hope I can pull this off as well!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #3 - 08/23/07 at 17:13:32

Here it is

Before:

After:

NOW HOW COOL IS THAT

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: I DID IT YEAH.
Reply #4 - 08/23/07 at 21:28:28

PRETTY COOL!!! Nice job  Roll Eyes (an eyeturner)

Did you run into any problems with the parts inside the shock?
I was planning on ordering the parts (dust and oil seal) from bike bandit seeing our Suzuki dealer can't get them here sooner than 2 weeks. When I saw the order schematics there were a bunch of other little things inside the (??what do you call that tube thing??). Should I order all of those things just in case they might be broken? I'd hate to have my bike sit in the garage until one of those tiny parts finally got in.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/24/07 at 04:23:46

Very nice!  Subtle, yet it changes the stance of the bike.  Has it done anything to sharpen the steering?

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/24/07 at 05:46:35

Wow, a Lowered Savage.. I thought we rode short machines in the first place, that thing IS way short! Looks nice. Doesnt that thing pound you, tho? I thought I saw an offer for a free upholstery job on that bench. Cant call it a seat with no padding!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #7 - 08/24/07 at 06:02:33

I actually havent got a chance to ride it yet, tank have  a crack in it  that i plan to fix today. And to Island all you have to pull out is the damper. nothing else. The seat is actually quite comfortable considering the lack of foam. I covered it myself with free stuff friend gave me. Heres some pics of what it looks like disassembled notice that nothing is taken off the forks. it actually only took about 3 min. to pull the damper out. The  spacer has been added to the damper in the pic

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 08/24/07 at 11:43:06

Actually I need to change the oil in the shocks, and replace the seal, because I have oil leaking out of it. I thought you had to do all that too in order to change the hight, but I guess not. I just didn't want any surprises before starting this, that's why I was asking.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/24/07 at 13:50:28

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Actually I need to change the oil in the shocks, and replace the seal, because I have oil leaking out of it. I thought you had to do all that too in order to change the hight, but I guess not. I just didn't want any surprises before starting this, that's why I was asking.

You're talking about changing the oil in the forks, not the shocks.  These are shocks.

If I remember correctly, in another post you said at least one of your fork seals was leaking.  If that's the case, you do need to change the seals or it/they will continue to leak.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike&qu
Reply #10 - 08/24/07 at 17:48:52

It now rides like a sportbike. yep hugs the corners feels super stable and comfortable. best thing iv done to the savage ever, cept everything else LOL But im really glad i didi it feels completely different.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 08/24/07 at 20:27:43

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You're talking about changing the oil in the forks, not the shocks.  These are shocks.
http://i16.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b0/df/02e9_1.JPG
If I remember correctly, in another post you said at least one of your fork seals was leaking.  If that's the case, you do need to change the seals or it/they will continue to leak.

OOPS! I thought forks and shocks were the same thing! They both stop you from breaking your teeth when hitting another pothole!
And yes I am going to replace the seals, I had wanted to do it this weekend, but did not realize that it is not a common item for our Suzuki store to have in stock. He said it would take two weeks. I'm going to order it through Bike Bandit though, seeing as I just got my chrome toolbox cover, and it took less then a week to get here after I ordered it. Very speedy!!!

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike&am
Reply #12 - 08/25/07 at 13:53:39

cFLOW wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
It now rides like a sportbike. yep hugs the corners feels super stable and comfortable. best thing iv done to the savage ever, cept everything else LOL But im really glad i didi it feels completely different.

Excellent!  Glad somebody pioneered this mod.  Now looks like a serious motorcycle instead of some kinda wannabe (no offense to you chopper guys); and, I bet it does handle well.  Bike shoulda come stock this way (front AND rear lower).  Gotta be better for beginners, too.  Good for yourself, Cflow; hat's off to ya.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike&qu
Reply #13 - 08/25/07 at 15:13:26

Very cool mod there cFlow. Why didn't I think of that when I had my S40? Tongue Looks to have plenty of ground clearance left too.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike&am
Reply #14 - 09/16/07 at 13:16:45

Here we go.  Grin

I'm just starting to attempt this mod since I was needing to change the seals... just waiting for the old oil to drain.

Edit: I know I said something about this another thread, but I wanted to bump this one up so I could find it easier...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:47:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.