Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Headlight rattle
08/02/07 at 16:04:18

I seem to have developed quite a headlight rattle. If I press the lens in at speed it quiets. Everything seems to be tight, and I'm not sure just what it is that's ratteling.
Checked the tech/fixes section and I don't seem to see anything about a fix.
I can get the light assembly apart with no trouble, so has anyone had this problem and successfully fixed it?
Thanks.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Re: Headlight rattle
Reply #1 - 08/02/07 at 16:07:04

There is a headlight rattle -- take the two screws off on the bottom of the headlight and take the ring assembly off the hollow housing.  First, make sure all your loose wires, guts and connectors are being held down correctly by the wire ties & such and are not kicking around loose.   Tuck them in nicely and tighten those wire ties down over them to hold them properly in place.

Posted bt  Oldfeller2 - Jul 5th, 2007

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/02/07 at 16:10:09

My rattle is the outter ring.  When I took it apart after buying it (to change the light bulb) I noticed there was electrical tape on the top, inside, of the ring.  I took it off and now I get a bad rattle.  I plan to put tape back on to fill the gap.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #3 - 08/02/07 at 16:14:00

Heres another fix
Dr_Jim   Jul 12th, 2007

Turns out that the lamp and glass are mounted in a flexible holder which secures them to the plastic headlight bucket. This holder may not seat properly against the blessed bucket - especially if the bucket has gotten hot - and then it works back & forth against the three small seating shoulders cast into the bucket.

My solution was crude, but effective, three narrow strips of double-sticky foam tape between the holder and the bucket's shoulders seem to have cured the buzz. I also taped the internal connectors to each other and stuck them firmly down to the holder too.
Dr_Jim   Jul 12th, 2007

straffordguy   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #4 - 08/02/07 at 18:46:30

Thanks for all the info, I'll start on the fix in the morning.  Cheesy

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 08/02/07 at 18:52:44

You can try various thicknesses of the foam tape or rubber bumper tape used to draft seal windows and doors.

They come in small rolls and you can use the remaining for any future rattling.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 08/02/07 at 20:41:34

Great idea! I have a roll of that in the garage now.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 08/03/07 at 09:47:40

I just fixed my headlight rattle about a month ago. I had a strip or foam weather stripping laying around, so I used that. the strip was about 1 1/2" w x 1/2" thick about 15" long. I was able to cut up several pieces to fit arount the headlight bracket and another strip across the back of the bucket. From what I could see, it looked like the wiring harness was smacking the back of the plastic bucket, as there were a number of wear spots there. Put it all back together, not a peep. The rattle was so loud before, it drowned out the engine noise, and probably any noise coming from my drive pulley that now needs replacing. See my post on Got The Drive Pulley Blues.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 08/03/07 at 10:05:09

I used clear silicon sealant as a rubber vibration insulator, especially since I have a visor installed.  It vibrates badly otherwise.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 08/03/07 at 13:42:38

There are some very good and practical fixes here for the headlight rattle problem.
I wonder if we can get these responses/fixes moved to the Tech/Ref section for future reference for others.
Thanks to everyone for their input. Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 08/03/07 at 16:36:38

Don't quote the boy half the fix, half of it won't always fix what he's got -- a loose hook fit up.

====================

There is a headlight rattle -- take the two screws off on the bottom of the headlight and take the ring assembly off the hollow housing.  First, make sure all your loose wires, guts and connectors are being held down correctly by the wire ties & such and are not kicking around loose.   Tuck them in nicely and tighten those wire ties down over them to hold them properly in place.

Any remaining headlight rattle most likely comes from the single steel hook on the top side of the ring assembly where it has made itself some vibratory clearance to the single ribbed boss on the top of the plastic hollow housing.  Apply a dab of red silicone gasket sealant to the sheet metal hook so when you put it together it makes a silicone rubber buffered seal to the ribbed plastic boss.   You will be able to take this apart later, just go gently when you go about doing it as that piece of plastic is worth WAY TOO MUCH MONEY -- so please don't force it and break it.   The silicone will let go first, be patient.

====================

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #11 - 08/04/07 at 10:38:04

"Don't quote the boy half the fix, half of it won't always fix what he's got -- a loose hook fit up"

Sorry Oldfeller2,  I am not sure why I did not offer the complete information. An oversite on my part. Could have been disctracted bt the rattle in the keyboard  Roll Eyes

straffordguy   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #12 - 06/17/10 at 07:06:35

Another great fix guys, thanks very much, that rattle was driving me crazy! Oldfeller you were right, the weather stripping didn't quite do it but some gasket sealant quickly eliminated the problem. You guys are awesome!

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #13 - 05/22/14 at 12:05:26

I didn't have any foam tape or weatherstripping around, but I did have a package of those little self-adhesive felt pads you'd put on the inside surface of a cupboard door at the corners. I placed five of those roughly equidistant around the inside rim of the housing where the outer ring seats, and it seems to have done the job nicely.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:12:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!