Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Every year my battery dies!? why?! (Read 190 times)
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Every year my battery dies!? why?!
05/19/14 at 09:30:50

Angry

Ok Guys, here we go.

I have an aftermarket 8cell, sealed lithium ion battery from ballistic batteries, I have had my bike for 3 years and after every winter when I go to start her up I have to charge my battery, (isn't a big deal) but when It starts it stays running/driving with no problems at all. All the lights work just fine even the horn but after I shut it off, I can immediately restart the bike but if I let is sit for anywhere around a 1/2 hour or more I need to then again charge my battery?  Shocked  these batteries are by no means cheap and def. have enough power to work with the bike which leads me to believe that something else is the cause for the destruction of my batteries, I am on number 3 and if I want to ride this year I have to buy another  Embarrassed  please help me figure this out :'(

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Every year my battery dies!? why?!
Reply #1 - 05/19/14 at 10:13:26

Lithium Ion baterries will last a long time.......but they will not tolerate being discharged or overcharged even a single time.  I am not sure why you need to charge your battery every spring, as the LiIon holds the charge a very long time.  You must have something that is dragging the charge down while the bike is turned off.

The Ballistic battery does not have any internal circuitry to balance the cells, and they recommend that you buy their charger which also balances the cells.

It sounds to me like you are doing something the Ballistic Battery doesn't like.  I suggest you give the EarthX battery a try this year, it has circuitry inside that balances the cells.....and I also suggest that you never hook up a battery maintainier to a LiIon as the instructions for my EarthX suggested that you should not do that....in fact they don't want you charging it unless absolutely necessary.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/19/14 at 10:26:53

so a new battery and you're fine for the riding season?
and winter comes along and it sits for however long and then it's dead.
did you ever think to disconnect it over the winter?
It maybe lith ion batteries are not for you.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 05/19/14 at 10:37:14

I'm with Dave on this one, sounds like there is a drain on the system or an errant ground.

Do you have anything with a relay on it? Every relay i've ever installed draws a small amount of power and if left set will drain a battery over time.

A lot of alarm systems claim to "barely" draw power, but if left set they too will drain a battery.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 05/19/14 at 11:54:31

Dave: That's what was confusing me as to why I had to charge the battery every spring to get it to fire up, the battery is supposed to hold life for over a year with out any type of charging. I would be more than willing to try any other brand of battery at this point because of how bad these have proved to be. (although it could be something I am doing?)  my only concern is the size of a different battery, the ballistic battery is really small and that's exactly what I am looking for. discreet. I have never once put the battery on a charger/maintainer until spring comes along and it is low on juice, too low to start the bike. 1 year I jumped the bike with a car, the next I pop started it and the last one I hooked up to a charger, not sure if a special one is required but it did the trick to get the bike started. all 3 times I drove around plenty long enough to let the bike charge the battery, but all 3 times I have needed to recharge/jump/pop start or replace it. Sad  I will look into the earthX on your recommendation though! Smiley

Verslagen1: Yes, every year I replace the battery and she is a trouble-less beauty. Every morning (given the weather permits) I go out she starts right up with no hesitation. Then I let her sit for 4 months maybe 5 for winter and I find that my battery needs to be charged. I haven't disconnected it yet over winter to see if it survives, if I get another one this year I will definitely be doing just that. I just want something small and sealed that will get me started every morning.

old_rider: The only thing I can say is I haven't changed a thing to the stock electrical layout. I don't know what could be doing it but I am getting really tired of having to buy a new EXPENSIVE battery to ride around for 1 season.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/19/14 at 11:58:09

Yep.....Definetely disconnect the battery at the end of the riding season this year.

My EarthX sat in my bike for 4-5 months this year.....and it fired right up when the time came.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 05/19/14 at 12:01:48

Dave,

It sounds like the EarthX will be worth giving a try this year. Do you happen to have a model number or hyperlink for the same one in your bike? It would be very much appreciated! Thank You!  Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 05/19/14 at 12:02:46

Maybe remove it over the 4 month time frame... I have also gone to a small lithium ion for a later rebuild this year.

I will keep an eye on it though, thanks to your post.

Only thing that I see could be causing your grief is a ground somewhere then. Did you make a new harness for your small battery or just extend it with some other cables? Perhaps one of those newer connections is shorting?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 05/19/14 at 12:08:48

old_rider:

My ground should be the same as the stock ground position. I bridged the wires to reach down lower where the little shelf on the exhaust bracket is. I believe the shelf is for something required in California.

I was also told that my rectifier/regulator could be at fault but I do not know how to tell if this is the case.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 05/19/14 at 12:19:55

Go here for that

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245984387

The tech section has a "table of contents" post... go there for anyting you find is causing problems....lots of answers there.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 05/19/14 at 12:26:19

Thank you, and another thank you to everyone who replied to this thread! I think I will be ordering the EarthX this year and I will follow up at the beginning of next season with comments and comparisons.  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/19/14 at 12:28:52

I used the ET12A....it is $ 169.  I wanted the small size and 12 Amps.  The 6A is the same size - but half the power and $ 40 cheaper.

http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx12a/

IMG_0830_002.JPG

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 05/19/14 at 12:31:22

Dave, Thank you very much!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/19/14 at 12:55:22

RanDaMan wrote on 05/19/14 at 12:08:48:
I was also told that my rectifier/regulator could be at fault but I do not know how to tell if this is the case.  

That's quite possible or it could be another component.
But there's no particular test for current drain while off as far as I know.
If you have a DVM or digital volt meter with an amp setting I'd disconnect the positive lead of the battery and connect the amp meter.
key off the current should be zero.  If not I'd disconnect component at a time till it went to zero.

There's a couple of components that have caused trouble from time to time.  And if the wiring diagram is to believed than they are powered all the time.  The decomp timer over the carb is one.  A few of them have filled up with water, corroded and even activate the starter in the middle of the night.
The rectumfryer usually doesn't give anyone troubles, but will get hot when overcharging.  Don't know if this is a symptom of a battery issue or rectumfryer.

WWW   IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Reply #14 - 05/20/14 at 12:34:01

Ok the old myth about the "concrete will drain a battery" has come up again in some local conversation. Old timers (I'm 52) were convinced that if you sat an automobile battery on concrete, it would kill the battery. I had thought this was just a myth or maybe something to do with older battery design but today's batteries are encased in plastic so I didn't think it's an issue. A buddy of mine (younger than me) told me the other day to put a block of wood under my stand or I'll be buying a new battery. The kickstand on concrete will kill my battery. True or false?

Is your stand on concrete?

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 18:12:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Every year my battery dies!? why?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.