Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
87 Savage--won't shut off (Read 66 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
87 Savage--won't shut off
07/06/07 at 08:33:15

OK--I've aquired an 87 Savage LS650. It seems to run ok except for some funny noise...but when key is shut off and removed the dam thing keeps running. I'm told it needs a new starter. Any idea's? Undecided

IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Re: 87 Savage--won't shut off
Reply #1 - 07/06/07 at 10:16:20

starter solenoid??

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 07/06/07 at 10:41:35

so does the run/stop button kill it?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 07/06/07 at 11:21:33

...and can you better define/describe "funny noise"?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/06/07 at 13:05:50

Funny noise like the starter stays engaged while running. And no, even the start/kill switch does nothing--key off and out--keeps on running. I saw another post further down here that described almost the same thing as I am experiencing. Bike sat for 1 1/2 years and has almost identical symptoms. I'm going to try some of the remedies that were suggested in that post. Like pregnant dog-slapping the relay and the solenoid. And looking for a short under the seat. Bike was kept in Abundantmouse county. Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Thanks.

IP Logged
stuartross109
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/06/07 at 13:12:09

Hi
Could be a build up of carbon in the engine.  The heat retained in this can continue to ignite the petrol even when there is no spark.
May be worth a quick look inside the exhaust outlet to see what it looks like.  Also is plug looking sooty, this would indicate a rich mixture.
I have an 86 model which is runnning very rich possibly die to a worn needle jet.  See my post  for the details.
If the mixture looks OK a good blast at high revs with a good qaulity, high octane petrol may burn off the coke.

Stu

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/06/07 at 13:15:59

Nah, this is not a "run on" type problem. This is a "keeps on running" as if key was on type problem. Like a short, or a stuck solenoid.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/06/07 at 13:30:03

How do you stop it?
If it's a stuck starter solenoid, the only way to stop it is to pull a battery connection off.  (From what I can see in the schematic)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 07/06/07 at 14:00:33

So how long has this Savage been running? I'm sure a tank of gas wouldn't last anymore than a few hours?! LOL!  Wink

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/06/07 at 17:30:55

I guess you could always yank the spark plug.  But does the starter keep trying to crank the engine after it's yanked?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #10 - 07/06/07 at 18:07:23

stuartross109 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hi
Could be a build up of carbon in the engine.  The heat retained in this can continue to ignite the petrol even when there is no spark.
May be worth a quick look inside the exhaust outlet to see what it looks like.  Also is plug looking sooty, this would indicate a rich mixture.
I have an 86 model which is runnning very rich possibly die to a worn needle jet.  See my post  for the details.
If the mixture looks OK a good blast at high revs with a good qaulity, high octane petrol may burn off the coke.

Stu

o-ring around the needle valve's valve BODY.  not the float needle, just the o-ring around the brass that inserts into the carb's body.

Part number 19's o-ring is worn smooth with the brass into which it's set.

If you don't replace that o-ring, in 2-4 months your carb will start overflowing.  You will, shortly thereafter, drain 9 quarts of oil out of your engine.  Then you'll get really, really p1ssed the f8ck off.  And scratch your head and swear.  A lot.

Just replace that o-ring.  The needle float is the same as the one for a Harley's bs40, or at least close enough that it works.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/07/07 at 14:09:25

anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike? (haven't had a chance to pick up a manual yet)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 07/07/07 at 15:26:01

here's one - the picture is much larger - copy the url for image and paste it into the browser address line

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099317926

IP Logged
Banzai310
YaBB Newbies

Gilbert AZ
Reply #13 - 07/15/18 at 12:30:41

Drums,

I know this is a really old post, but I was hoping that you were still on the forum. Did you ever figure out what caused this? I had the exact same thing happen to me last night on my ‘01 Savage. There was a rattling sound coming from the clutch case, so I assumed that my cam chain tensioner had finally overextended and died. ( I have the mod on order from Verslagen and am awaiting arrival). I went to turn off the bike with the kill switch, and the bike continued to run, but it went from a smooth idle to a rough chugging sound. Even removing the ignition key did not stop it from running. When I replaced the key and turned the kill switch back to on, it resumed regular idle. (Still with a rattling sound from the clutch case)  Repeated this several times to no avail. Luckily, I installed the Raptor Petcock last month, so I turned it to off, and the engine finally died in about 4 minutes. Did you find out what caused your problem? It sounds exactly the same.

This bike sat for about 4 years before I bought it last month. I got it running and haven’t had a problem until now. I tried searching the forum several times, but I can only search back one year, or I get a timeout error from the site. The only reason I found your post was from a google search. Any help is appreciated. I am thinking it might be a short somewhere, but would a failed cam chain tensioner cause this? Thanks!

2001 Savage / Raptor / Dyna / Verslavy Mod
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/15/18 at 19:02:21

Are either of you running larger jets than stock ? what are your carb/air filter setups? what are your elevations?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:56:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87 Savage--won't shut off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.