Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Do we need a better cam chain? (Read 329 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Do we need a better cam chain?
Reply #75 - 07/13/07 at 19:05:50

I just looked at the price list. Twenty Five cents per Inch O cam chain! Wooo Hoo, talk about a deal..Looking at more in freight than the service.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #76 - 07/13/07 at 22:18:57

You may shorten your chain a tad doing the cryogenic treatment -- I don't think they come real tight from the factory as the assemblies would be checked for size and "run in" to meet an installation minimum size if they don't already meet it.

Now that sounds interesting -- if you developed the motor with vendor A's chain who was running it in to take out all the infant stretch syndrome to meet your minimum size then switched over to vendor B who just made it to be inside your tolerance for a new part (not run in, just made to that size) what would that do to your total service life for vendor B chain?

Interesting, especially if you don't have much adjustment range to begin with.  

Are the new chains "tight" on the gears as installed?  I know the gears are worn some, does the chain have a bit slop as installed on the used gears when you put a new chain in place?  From what I've read recently, the answer is yes there is some slop.

Does that new chain show any sign of having been run across a gear set at all?  From the very detailed recent pictures, the answer is no -- the heat treat bluing is untouched on the inner tooth surfaces.

I still keep going back in my mind to some of these bikes that have been reported to be completely out of tensioner at 8,000 miles.  Something caused that.

I'd hate to get us a chain that wouldn't go on our gears because it was just plain made too tight.  I'd also hate to get one that is sloppy loose brand new when installed on a "one chain worn" set of gears.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 07/14/07 at 07:53:39

Putting a new chain on a "one chain worn" set O gears was no problem. I also had the worn guides in the equation. The tensioner was out something like 8 mm of the 18 allowable with the rear guide bent as much as I could bend it.
So, question is, In my mind, how tight would the tensioner have been with new guides? I expect new guides would have yielded a tighter chain, but the 8 mm wouldnt have gone away. When we are talking about side deflection of 8 mm, the length change is very small, considering the length of the chain. I would say ~2.8 mm of chain length is soaked up, OHH, but it's done twice, above & below the tensioner, so 5.6 mm of chain length would be taken up by an 8 mm deflection.( I didnt draw any models, just used the square root of 8 as the difference between the imaginary straight line of the chain with no tensioner on it & the triangle created when the chain is deflected, so you engineer types may see a glaring oversight. PLease, feel free to correct my thinking if I am off base.)
Remembering that the cam drive gear is removed to get the chain on & that the amount O slack was minimal I wouldn't think the chain could be much shorter & still get it on.

UNless, the ID of the cam drive gear could be relieved to allow it to sit lower on the cam while the chain was slipped over the teeth. Hmmm, that sounds doable. Just have to do it on both sides for balance & stay away from the bolt holes & index pin.LOcate the hash marks that line up with the head & go up & down with a grinder ,,,, OOOPS, wouldnt that load the bolts with the whole cam chain varying tension? Doesnt the cam drive gear fit snug on a shoulder? I'm not sure the ID of the gear isn't somewhat load bearing. If so, relieving it to get a tight chain on might be a bad idea.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #78 - 07/15/07 at 12:59:17

Just picked up a 2001 rolling frame w/dead motor (melted piston).  I'm reading this thread with much interest as I have the engine in pieces to clean out all the aluminum fragments.  
   I want to make known that there may be a design flaw in the cam chain system that is only sort of mentioned in this thread.  Want to run it by the forum to see if I'm not seeing something.

Over all the design is sort of sound.  Spring chain tensioners have been around for years although a roller tensioner is considered better than a slide type.  But, there is one thing that many of the other systems don't have that the LS650 does. I believe the flaw is the ratchet.  
  Why is this a flaw???  Well, from what I see, the system would do the adjustment "click" of the ratchet some time when you either just start up the bike or after it sat for some time cooling down.  The aluminum of the cylinder and the head are not fully expanded.   Basically, that's what it's designed to do.  The problem comes when the bike gets to operating temp's.  The head & cylinder expand pulling the camshaft microscopically away from the crankshaft.  If the ratchet had just "clicked" to the optimum tension, this expansion would stretch the chain because the ratchet would not allow the tensioner to pull back in and the chain is actually over-tensioned.
  The question is, what would happen if you take the ratchet paw out of the tensioner???????     This would allow the tensioner to readjust for the expansion.  Being the spring inside of the tensioner isn't changed, there wouldn't be a change to the amount of push it gives.  One thing that may occur is when revving there may be some chain vibration, but it should be minimal as the tensioner spring should absorb it.  
Thoughts??????

"Engineers design things, technicians make them work"

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 07/15/07 at 14:20:10

I brought up the same thing quite some time ago & someone else, who can do the math, showed the stresses that put on the chain. I dint remember how it went, but I think the ratchet is gonna need to stay, else the chain would flop violently about forcing the tensioner spring back, only to extend again s soon as the rpm drop. Would that really be a bad idea? I dunno, BUt, my answer was to add a spring to the mix, outside the tensioner, so when the pawl catches with the chain tight, there would be a "give" left in it to soak up the stretch. It could be put into the tensioner extension that has been added by some to make the tensioner not reach the 18 mm limit so quickly & would have to be stiffer than the tensioner spring inside the tube.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #80 - 07/15/07 at 14:59:51

Interesting. Assuming all the mechanical design issues could be overcome, why not put a spring-loaded roller in there in place of the existing ratcheting tensioner? Properly designed, it could keep the chain tensioned properly for the entire life of the chain with no need of maintenance until the chain needs to be replaced.

I wonder if the ratcheting tensioner is "supposed" to self-destruct for some reason?

Ken

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #81 - 07/15/07 at 15:02:37

Removing the rachet is an idea worth looking into.  One of Norbert's design's does replace the stock adjuster with a damper device.

My thought's on the adjuster was that maybe the rachet systmem helps keep the chain from getting too slack and whipping about.  Assuming everything is 200°F, there's a .014" difference in the thermal growth between the cylinder and chain.  There will be more if the cylinder is hot and the chain cool.  I've measured the temp's after a hot run and the cyl head is over 240 and the base is 180.  So the chain will be .028" shorter on a hot run.  Maybe enough to click over.

There is a place on the back side of the cylinder, just above the mounting bosses, where a hole could be placed to allow a plunger to push on the tensioner guide.  My idea at the time was to give the guide a little support in the middle as it was discovered that this guide is completely flat and a little bow in the guide helps take up the slack.  My chain was .01 long and the plunger was out 22mm.  I'm guessing it started about 10mm out to begin with.  Replacing the rear guide only took up about 2mm.  So roughly, 10mm plunger travel for .01" chain stretch.

One of our biggest issues (at least mine) is not being able to observe whats going on inside.  And popping off the cover every week is a lot of work.  

So here's an idea, an external adjuster, manual or automatic.  Drill a hole thru the case either at the afore mentioned location or a new spot in the engine case to place an adjustment screw.  A cantilevered leaf spring and a pointer would be an easy way to determine tension.

Any comments?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #82 - 07/16/07 at 13:21:49

Tsubaki came back to say "We don't make a chain that small".  This leaves Daido and Borg Warner Morse still left to ring in, everyone else says they don't make the chain we need.  

I find it hard to believe that nobody makes a quarter inch pitch silent chain any more.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #83 - 07/16/07 at 15:37:28

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I find it hard to believe that nobody makes a quarter inch pitch silent chain any more.

Maybe that's why this problem has gotten so much worse in recent years. Suzuki might be having the same problem.

Ken

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #84 - 07/16/07 at 21:07:04

Why not a1/4 inch pitch belt ...
Some of them gates types are super strong ... measure the exact pitch and see what turns up ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #85 - 08/02/07 at 14:14:53

Update:

Tsubaki got taken to task a bit -- they advertise bragging rights to a quarter inch pitch (6.35mm) silent chain on their home web page.  Tsubaki America finally admitted the quarter inch pitch chain is only manufactured under license for "certain Pacific Rim OEM suppliers" and cannot contractually be sold back to America at all.

Rest of the story comes from Morse.  I got back their report on the chain and gear that I got from Lancer.  It is a Morse Type 82 silent chain that was manufactured by their Japanese subsidiary (guess who) and it is their best and only quarter inch chain of the Type 82 (motorcycle style) silent chain family.  They do not offer their hard pin in that style -- the chain is too small.  They do not offer a HY-VO tension split pin design that small -- smallest HY-VO size is the 3/8" pitch size.  

There is no better Type 82 chain pins or styles available.  We got all that there is in a Type 82 chain.

Comments on the sample chain and sprocket is that it was NOT worn out -- it was approximately a bit past halfway to the engineering wear limit.   This lines up with the service wear limit in the Suzuki Shop manual.

===================================

HOWEVER,

There are automotive style silent chains in quarter inch pitch that will run on our gear forms.  The chains are made of links that are 1.25mm taller (same length -- but they swing a larger pin that sticks out a little longer on the side of things).

As such these chains would require changes to the left side straight chain guide to back the guide away from the chain 1mm and some changes to the top of the tension guide side at the top end edge to keep it from being abraded out of existence by the taller chain as it comes off the cam gear.  

I don't know what the longer protruding pin heads would hit or do to the engine as it ran its pathway.

Would this thicker chain last any longer?  Who knows?  
It was built for a dual overhead cam car engine and would require modifications to our engines to fit at all.

That's it, the last silent chain vendor has reported.  

Any opinions on the taller automotive chain and what it would hit if someone tried to install one in a Savage?

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #86 - 08/02/07 at 15:35:37

srinath wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Why not a1/4 inch pitch belt ...
Some of them gates types are super strong ... measure the exact pitch and see what turns up ...
Cool.
Srinath.

I'd already thought about a belt, but the fact that the bottom gear is on the crankshaft itself kind of stopped me from looking further into the idea. I doubt that there are suitable belts which would run on the existing crank sprocket/gear. But then I didn't look into it a great deal, I just "assumed" a belt wouldn't be available.

Also, I've taken a peek into the idea which someone suggested of cryogenic treatment of the chain, and it seems like a viable option, but I haven't gotten any pricing yet.

A place I used to work at, we used a lot of liquid nitrogen to chill parts for interference fits. Heat a hole with a rosebud (torch) to a specific temp. then freeze a pin to another specific temp... Drop the pin in the hole, and presto! Parts fit so tight that they might as well be welded together. Actually it can be much stronger than welding on large parts. Anyways, I don't know just exactly how long you would keep a cam chain @ -XXXºF before pulling it out. Get it too cold, or warm it up to quick, and funny things can happen. Well, it might not be too funny if it happened inside your engine! Grin

Ahh... reading thread backwards, it appears that Justin found the cryo treatment cheap. I'm thinking it should be well worth it.

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #87 - 08/02/07 at 18:13:37

Hey guys...
Just wondering if engine mods (more HP) puts added stress on an already suspect part of the engine? It would be interesting to see how mileage/mods/replacement compares to stock engines.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #88 - 08/02/07 at 18:35:06

I have a slightly different take on the cam chain issue.

I stopped in to my local stealer-ship and talked to one of the lead service techs.

He told me that, starting with the mid-2004 model, Suzuki introduced a better cam chain tensioner device.

He said the way to tell if yours has it is by the assmebly of the head and the size of the fasterners.  The 'new' 2004's have 10mm bolts instead of the mish-mash of 8 and 9mm.

He also told me that the new tensioner is good for 25k and there is no need to open my side case for inspection, not for a while at least.

Is there any truth to what he was telling me? Did Suzi finally address the cam-chain issue with the 2k4 model?

I hope so.  Mine's a 2k5.  When I pulled up the parts fische on the web, the cam chain tension is a different part number from the pre 2k4 model year.

Any thoughts for you experts????

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #89 - 08/02/07 at 18:42:52

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
There is no better Type 82 chain pins or styles available.  We got all that there is in a Type 82 chain. Oldfeller

Well, thanks for trying so hard to find a chain. I'm sure it was frustrating to keep hitting dead ends. I think I'll order verslagen's modded adjuster and slap this puppy back together.

Don't know if I'll keep her yet. I may have to ride her for a week before I make any permanent decisions.

Thanks again.

Ken

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:35:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do we need a better cam chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.