Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Do we need a better cam chain? (Read 329 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Do we need a better cam chain?
Reply #120 - 08/16/07 at 09:33:25

I would've cause I'm a US engineer with a machinist background.

unfortunately, It's written by Japanise tech writer who thinks digital mic's are not available to mechanics.  And I think how many times I've read that the measurement was made with a ruler I think that's a correct assumption.

When I'm in a measuring mood, I carry digital mic.  And never a pocket protector.  I've actually seen more pocket protectors in the pockets of machinists.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #121 - 08/16/07 at 09:36:41

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Well if you want to get really picky... dig thru all the posts and you might find that someone concluded that 127mm = equals a new chain before oldfeller.  I only sighted the most current reference as empirical proof of theoretical fact.   Tongue

I didn't necessarily "dig" through the other posts...heck, I had to resurrect the topic from page 3 anyway.  So, I merely scanned them.  Yet, this subject isn't really where I was going with this.

But while we're theorizing, have you figured out exactly what causes the problem with the tensioner?  That is what I'm pursuing...obviously, the chain and gear have been eliminated.

...to which I see that you state that "we are dealing with a complex system of steel and plastic"

Come on...it ain't too complex for a nit pickin' engineer, is it?

Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #122 - 08/16/07 at 09:38:54

I would've cause I'm a US engineer with a machinist background.

unfortunately, It's written by Japanise tech writer who thinks digital mic's are not available to mechanics.  And I think how many times I've read that the measurement was made with a ruler I think that's a correct assumption.

When I'm in a measuring mood, I carry digital mic.  And never a pocket protector.  I've actually seen more pocket protectors in the pockets of machinists.

Digital mic.  That's cute.  That's not what I learned on Tongue

That's because there are usually more machinists than engineers in any one place.  Bet you don't wear an apron though.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #123 - 08/16/07 at 09:43:12

Anyway, I'm wondering about the guides.  Mine has wear but the SSM has no measurement checks in it.

I just wondered if anyone bought a new one and applied either scale or a micrometer to it, yet.

If not, I guess I'll just have to buy a new one, because I'm not closing this engine up until I know what caused the tensioner extension.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #124 - 08/16/07 at 10:13:49

I've replaced the rear tensioner guide and only noticed about 1.5mm difference in plunger extention.

I'd only replace it if it were deeply cracked and obviously worn.  one of the posters found bits of the guide in his oil pump.

The slavy 2 hole adjuster mod is the only way to suck the plunger back in without replacing everything.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #125 - 08/16/07 at 13:49:07

I've replaced the rear tensioner guide and only noticed about 1.5mm difference in plunger extention.

I'd only replace it if it were deeply cracked and obviously worn.  one of the posters found bits of the guide in his oil pump.

The slavy 2 hole adjuster mod is the only way to suck the plunger back in without replacing everything.

Not discounting your tensioner modification, as I recall you calculated the chain slack somewhere.  I guess that with 64 links and .015" stretch found in 21 pins there is roughly .100" gain in length overall.  Didn't you calculate a ratio of the tensioner extension somewhere?

Therefore, since we can pretty much eliminate wear on the hardened cam gears from the "everything" list, it is really just a matter of chain and tensioner/guides.

Dam, even if you just have to open the case and utilize the 2nd hole in your mod, it's still gonna cost you $15 for a new case gasket.

I can't wait to see what Stinger's chain looks like after 30K, tomorrow.  Has anyone, with a tensioner that separated, measured their cam chain?  Does it even reach the service limit?

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #126 - 08/16/07 at 22:07:18

We never hit the engineering service limit -- we never have.  Even the people who make the chain (who cut one up just recently) say we aren't going much past half the technical wear life of the chain judging from the worn out one send by Lancer.

Our problem is that the tensioner system on our bike can't use but the lower half of the total displacement possible.  None of the upper "half" of the total possible displacement is ever used.

When I take my side cover off I will look at making a right side (upper) deflection on the straight chain guide.   Several folks have successfully put some bend into the right side and have not reported issues from doing so.  

I think you may be able to bend it towards the top and support it with a wooden block of some sort which will "reset" your tensioner some and add that much to the total mileage service life of the chain.

Then when the tensioner moves forward again, do all the left side mods as developed so far.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #127 - 08/17/07 at 07:26:14

When I took mine apart, the plunger was extended 22mm.  I measured the chain and calculated that I should get 50k miles out of the chain itself given the amount of stretch at the time.

If the cover comes off without tearing, you can reuse the gasket.  It's been recommended that a gasket sealer be applied around the oil channel.  I've done it twice so far.  All I can say is if it leaks, replace it.

Yeah, of2 right, the 2 holer not the only way to extend the life.  You can bend the tensioner guide to take up some of the slack.  The issue I have with that is that dam plastic.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #128 - 08/17/07 at 07:51:41

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
We never hit the engineering service limit -- we never have.  Even the people who make the chain (who cut one up just recently) say we aren't going much past half the technical wear life of the chain judging from the worn out one send by Lancer.

Our problem is that the tensioner system on our bike can't use but the lower half of the total displacement possible.  None of the upper "half" of the total possible displacement is ever used.

When I take my side cover off I will look at making a right side (upper) deflection on the straight chain guide.   Several folks have successfully put some bend into the right side and have not reported issues from doing so.  

I think you may be able to bend it towards the top and support it with a wooden block of some sort which will "reset" your tensioner some and add that much to the total mileage service life of the chain.

Then when the tensioner moves forward again, do all the left side mods as developed so far.

I kinda guessed that answer.  If the service limit on the chain is about .070" for 10 links, that could equal about 7/16" over the whole chain length.  Pretty darn slack.

Won't putting a bend in the front (right side) chain guide advance the valve timing?

I just threw this guide in front of the camera.  No precision measurement, but this is my rear guide after 14K.  Any wear is hard to determine because it is smooth and I don't have a new one for comparison.  No cracks or chips.

I don't plan to try any bending as I feel it will just straighten out under a load and the tensioner will become latched in the forward position when that happens.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #129 - 08/17/07 at 08:39:32

I wish there was an engine to play with.

Here's my idea (sorry, I don't have a spare engine to play with):

1) remove the ratchet paw from the tensionizer. This would stop the over tensioning when eng gets hot by allowing pull back.
2) mount a coil spring on guide, at a spot approx 1/2 way up (at about the 7" mark on the steel rule in your picture Greg). This is to reduce slap at rev'ing.  To do this, a gap would need to be measured to figure out size of spring. The spring has to be mounted (two small bolts (4-40?) threaded in the guide and a small plate?).  Would need a engineer type to do some calc's here.  Need to calc the spring strength and length so not to interfere with regular action of tensioner and still prevent slap.  Must also figure  in for some wear.

Note: this experiment would be reversible with only two small holes left in the guide.

Other choice ( not easily reversible) would be to machine the jug to add an externally adjustable sping in the middle of the guide.  I know Honda's have a setup that might be adapted.  Would require loosing some fins on the section where the chain is and getting the parts from another type bike.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #130 - 08/17/07 at 08:44:57

yes bending the front guide will advance cam timing.

for every .01" of chain stretch you'll get about 1° of cam retard.

That should be .07" stretch over 21 pins or 20 links (not 10)

For a stock unbent guide, I would be only concerned with wear at the bottom radius.

I wouldn't be concerned with a bent rear guide straightening out under load as this is the slack side.  I am concerned that it might have memmory and will straighten out with heat causing the chain to go slack.  but we haven't heard from anyone that's done this having a problem though.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #131 - 08/17/07 at 11:54:27

yes bending the front guide will advance cam timing.

for every .01" of chain stretch you'll get about 1° of cam retard.

That should be .07" stretch over 21 pins or 20 links (not 10)

For a stock unbent guide, I would be only concerned with wear at the bottom radius.

I wouldn't be concerned with a bent rear guide straightening out under load as this is the slack side.  I am concerned that it might have memmory and will straighten out with heat causing the chain to go slack.  but we haven't heard from anyone that's done this having a problem though.

If the "slack side" becomes more slack, the tensioner is (theoretically) supposed to ratchet out as needed.  That will gradually pull any additional bend out of the guide because it won't be able to spring back.  As you say, most of the wear is at the bottom radius and that tells me that in operation the chain guide is pretty straight anyway.

Pardon me....but let me correct.  Maybe I was simplifying too much, but The Book states 21 Pins or 20 "Pitch".  If you have 2 pins per link you have 10 links.  Please count.

If you are counting the connecting plates separately, then I guess that I'll have to say that my rear chain conversion required a 210 links of 520 chain Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #132 - 08/17/07 at 14:40:54

Well to tell the truth, I don't give a rat's a$$ as to the number of links... I bow to your edgemacation on the matter of number of links.  And I have a brand new chain sitting in the original unopened bag too.  I hope I can find it after 30k more miles.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #133 - 08/17/07 at 16:10:59

My plan is to bend the right side (straight) guide that is not moved by the adjuster and make the bend permanent and durable by backing it up with a block of wood.

The chain will have worn the valve timing 'retarded' by X degrees to make the X slop that I find when I open it up.  

I will then run the timing forward by X degrees by moving that slop to the right side by bending the straight guide up at the top near the cam gear and backing it up with the wooden block.  In essence, I put it back to a near factory stock valve timing and I renew the tensioner travel all at the same time.  

10,000 to 15,000 miles of free tensioner travel.

Add that to the Slavy/Verslagen 30,000-50,000 mile tricks that you can then do next and maybe I'll get somewhat closer to the engineering wear limit on my chain before I replace it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #134 - 08/18/07 at 06:49:15

Well to tell the truth, I don't give a rat's a$$ as to the number of links... I bow to your edgemacation on the matter of number of links.  And I have a brand new chain sitting in the original unopened bag too.  I hope I can find it after 30k more miles.   Grin

So much for the "nit pickin' engineer".

I rest my case Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:18:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do we need a better cam chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.