Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ya gotta start somewhere (Read 68 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Re: Ya gotta start somewhere
Reply #30 - 08/26/07 at 17:20:13

Why didn't you shorten the front rake so the thing would handle? This bike needs to have it's wheelbase shortened by about 3-4 inches so it will handle like a sports bike. ???

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #31 - 08/26/07 at 17:58:41

Yeah, it really does need a fender. I think I'll get another front fender (the vz800 is about as wide as the rear tire and they'll match) and mount it the way jkhulon73 did his (on the swing arm.)

The footpegs are just fine for my legs (I'm 6' nothing) so long as the seat pushes me forward onto them, which the new seat does and the last seat didn't. I may put the passenger footpegs back on the bike just to give my knees another position to rest in though. We'll see... I haven't given the new setup a long distance test yet.

I did shorten the rake a little... I put 11.5 inch shocks on the back and dropped the front end just a bit (I can slide the fork tubes up through the triple tree however far I want.) I think I'll get the feel for the bike as it is now though before I get more aggressive.

My big concern now is for the carburetor. I may just have to swap it out. And if I'm going to do that I may as well get a performance one... (see where all my money has gone these past few months?)

Now if I were being really ambitious I would get one of those DIY fuel injection kits and wire up a microsquirt to this beast. Of course I actually want to ride this bike sometime in the next few months so I think I'll hold off on that.

IP Logged
goon73
YaBB Newbies

Chop it!

Reply #32 - 10/01/07 at 13:19:27

Chuck, I was looking through old threads, I am curious did you leave the decomp off or put it back on?

I am needing to find out if it can run effectively without the decomp, with the low compression on this motor I "think" it will be ok, but just trying to confirm before I get my frame modified for my savage boardtracker project. because I will be replacing the backbone and there wont be a mount for the decomp

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 10/01/07 at 15:09:05

I'd rig the decomp with a manual lever right on the head with a switch for the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #34 - 10/01/07 at 15:15:47

Looks pretty cool, definitely a bike to attract attention!
Now, how many gallons does that tank hold? You might have mentioned it, but I might have overlooked it.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #35 - 10/01/07 at 16:11:54

The bike will run no problem without the decomp circuit... starting is the issue. (Joke!) Seriously though, I believe Dr_Jim is right that the bike does want a decomp mechanism. They did so much to make this bike cheap that I believe they would have left it off if they thought they could get away with it.

That sad, I am not running a decomp on this bike at the moment. I know I'm taking a risk. (See below about risk taking...) I've got a brand new strong battery and a light touch on the starter button. Usually the bike just starts on the first revolution. Every once in a while the air in the piston pushes back before the starter has had time to build up enough momentum and I just let it stop and then I try again.

I did consider welding a lever to a socket that would fit over the bolt for the decomp mechanism. Just push down with your thumb, start, let go. Stick the socket in your pocket.  I'll do that after I break the case for the first time of course.

But you may not want to follow my example. This is what happens when you demand 50% greater power from your motor but you don't arrange for 50% greater heat dissipation:

I finally have a performance carb to match the performance cam and less restrictive exhaust. So what do I do with it? I break the piston.

I need to take the cylinder off now and find out if I just need a new top end or if I need a whole new engine.

C'est la vie.

Oh, and Islandwahine, the tank holds abut 3 1/2 gallons. It has a big tunnel in it for the Triumph it was really designed for.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #36 - 10/01/07 at 22:20:56

What kind of seat do you have on it?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #37 - 10/02/07 at 13:23:37

I got it from Demonscycle on Ebay for $65.  I'm quite pleased with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHOPPER-BOBBER-SOLO-BILLET-MOTORCYCLE-SEAT-FIT...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 10/02/07 at 14:18:40

That's a nice seat for $65!
Good looking hardware.