Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I dont decide when to start, my bike does (Read 5 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
I dont decide when to start, my bike does
09/28/07 at 17:36:17

here's my problem: I was riding the bike all over town today, logged about an hour, then parked it.  I felt like I wasnt done, so I went to the gas station to fill up.  I filled her up, got back on, but suddenly, I only heard the dreaded single click.  No turnover, nada.  So I pushed the bike to the nearest hill I could find, put it in third, then pedaled as fast as I could.  I got a few cranks out of it, but I failed to maintain it.  Second try...I forgot to put the ignition on.  Tired and defeated, I left the bike in gear, clutched and parked 90 degress to the curb, then let out the clutch. I was parking on a crowned road.  I decided to just give it one more start and I clutched in, the bike rolled and bumped the curb...but more importantly, when I started it, the bike cranked!  Two more tries (im not very good at starting it yet) and it was running.  I rode it another 10 to 15 minutes, took her home and parked it.  I tried again to start it to see if its a recurring problem.  Sure enough, it is!

thoughts? reflections?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: I dont decide when to start, my bike does
Reply #1 - 09/28/07 at 17:52:18

battery and clean connections?? How old is the battery and are the connections clean. Can you see any green in the wiring where it emerges from the insulation??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 09/28/07 at 18:24:29

battery is about a week old, maybe 50 miles on it

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/28/07 at 19:38:14

Hope you have a voltmeter, you'll need it to troubleshoot.  They're approx $10 to $15

Ok,  There are two units that control starting.  One is the decompression controller which is a timing circuit that first turns on the decompression solenoid then triggers the starter relay. The second is the starter relay ( I always use to call then starter solenoids but the book says relay.  Basically same thing, electrically controlled switch).  

The relay is under the seat.  Check that to see if it's triggering, you should be able to hear the click.  IF not, then feel for the click.

If it's clicking, then check the thick wires for good connections or corrosion.  One wire goes from Positive battery lead to the relay.  Other thick wire goes from relay to starter.  

If the relay is not clicking, the check small yellow wire going to relay.  Check for voltage after the decompression solenoid triggers.  If you have voltage then the relay is bad.  If no voltage, then suspect the Decompression controller.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 09/29/07 at 08:50:01

Bobbert wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
battery is about a week old, maybe 50 miles on it

Tighten the battery terminals, both of them!

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 09/29/07 at 12:53:28

Diagnosis: Murder, She Wrote

Short Story: it's fixed

Long(er) version:

The battery connections were tight.  I was sure the voltage was high, cause on the last battery (which ended up with 9v) the starter still cranked even when the battery didnt have enough power to keep the lights going.  So I opened up the seat looking for these relays and found the problem.  One of the plastic connectors for the wiring (it was three wire, one yellow, along the right side) was unhooked and almost completely disconnected.  

Problem solved!  Its a wonder that I was able to get the bike back yesterday.  Parking the bike uphill must have allowed gravity to barely connect the pieces together, enough for me to limp the bike home.

Is there a thumper god that I owe a sacrifice?

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #6 - 10/02/07 at 18:11:42

You must pay homage to the mighty T-Mack1. would suggest fruits and vegetables or cash.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I dont decide when to start, my bike does

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.