Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ya gotta start somewhere (Read 68 times)
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Re: Ya gotta start somewhere
Reply #15 - 07/27/07 at 19:03:38

Huzzah! She runs! No tank or seat mounted yet but the carb isn't as hosed as I thought it was and there's enough of an electrical system to deliver spark.

The engine will start and idle -thump- -thump- -thump- quite nicely but unfortunately it drips oil while running (but not while sitting.) The leak appears to be from either the flywheel side cover (maybe the passthrough for the stator wires?) or from the transmission output shaft but I suspect it is actually coming from the starter motor oil seal. I remember that there's a path from the pocket the starter motor sits in through to somewhere near the transmission pulley (to let rain drain I guess) and the drive belt has got oil all along it now.

By the way, is there a reason I should bother with decompression if the bike appears to start just fine without it? Do I only need it when the battery is low or is there some dire mechanical fate awaiting me if I continue to start the bike without decompression?

More adventures in wrenching to come.

IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #16 - 07/28/07 at 11:31:38

Ah. Cracked Case -- Not Good.

I am working on fitting the tank and seat to the frame. Here's a photo of where the bike is at now... it really wants to have clip-ons instead of the marauder bars but the clip-ons may not arrive for a while. Also the seat just isn't right for the look but I am funds limited at the moment. As you can see I just have the seat and tank balanced there and not bolted on--hence the pack of cut-off wheels keeping the seat from falling off backwards!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 07/28/07 at 14:07:04

Wow, that is quite a LOOKER!

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/28/07 at 16:25:57

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:35:34 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #19 - 07/28/07 at 17:32:18

helluva bike!!!! how do the pegs feel, seems that they would be a bit far forward. let us know how the tank mounts up.

IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #20 - 07/28/07 at 20:24:35

Dr. Jim, funny you should say that-- Airtech is where I got the tank! They are just down the freeway from where I live.

The tank required the one modification I have made to the frame--the little round tank support thingies stick out too far for this tank so I cut the stalks just before the round bit and trimmed down the round rubber bouncy thingies and now the tank is secured up front quite well. I am making a seat-and-tank sub-frame to anchor the end of the tank and to sit on... I was looking around my garage for something suitable and my eye chanced upon the original back rest bar of the bike. Perfect. It even has holes already drilled and threaded in the right places.

I do think the pegs will be a bit far forward but I won't be able to tell for sure until I can sit on the bike. If it doesn't feel right I'm sure an adapter plate that moves 'em back a bit won't be too hard to make.

Still haven't fixed the leak.

IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #21 - 08/04/07 at 17:39:49

The clip-ons have arrived-- new footpegs and dyna exhast too. Wohoo! Leak still not fixed, been spending my time cleaning up the wiring instead.

As you can see, my wiring harness doesn't include tail-lights or turn signals yet... and I'm going to have to stick the license plate somewhere.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 08/04/07 at 18:18:10

That's a cool look.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #23 - 08/05/07 at 19:51:06

Took 'er for a spin around the complex today. Nothing broke or fell off... now I have to finish wiring up the lights and fix that &*@$#@ leak... as soon as I get up the courage to take the alternator cover off again.

I would like to angle the dyna exhasut out so I can pull the header closer to the engine. Right now I have the pipe clamped right on to the header. What's the easiest way to do that? Go to a muffler shop and ask for a 10-degree bend extension?

Is there a place on-line that sells those harley clamps people use?

Anbody know which part number K&N filter would fit up inside a 2.56" (65mm) inner diameter opening? The 90-degree black elbow to the carb has an open oriface 2.5 inches wide and I think a nice conical filter would look great there.

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/05/07 at 21:14:54

wow i said it looked good a few weeks ageo, but now its just a work o art man. Ya gotta lotta time, or just real dedicatid to the cause. I mean, dude, really really nice.

IP Logged
Dean
YaBB Newbies

North California
Reply #25 - 08/06/07 at 06:28:56

I got my harley muffler clamp at dz customs, an ebay store. they are super helpful.
  that bike is really turning out awesome!

IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #26 - 08/26/07 at 13:26:13

Well, I finally tore open the stator side engine cover and fixed that oil leak. Turns out the gasket wasn't aligned properly and there was quite the gap next to the drive pulley.

Also re-wired the bike (again!) but soldered the connections this time instead of using those crimp connectors. The crimp connectors work just fine but I don't trust 'em to hold up long term and also the soldered (and heat-shrink protected) connections are less bulky, making for a much cleaner look.

I put a K&N filter on the carb and took the bike for a ride... one evening the bike ran great (took it on a 50 mile jaunt) but the next day when I rode it to work it ran like crap. Work is 50 miles away, so I put 100 on it that day... half-way through the way back the bike "woke up" and ran great again.  Incidentally it woke up when I was running about 75 in 3rd gear... I think the vibration un-stuck a stuck slide. The rest of the ride home the bike had plenty of power.

But the next time I went to ride it it was "sleepy" or "sluggish" again.

Anybody have advice on curing a carburetor of a sticking slide?

I suspect that riding with the stuck slide made the bike very lean. Look at my new Dyna exhaust and see if you don't agree...

I also got a new seat from Ebay and fabricated a new tank and seat subframe from a BMW R1200C grab rail and the old Savage handlebars.

Pictures to follow...

Chuck

IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #27 - 08/26/07 at 13:47:47

And some pictures...

Still need some turn-signals on the rear. But the bike is just about complete.

I suppose I really should give it some sort of rear fender too.

Of course complete doesn't mean done. I have to replace all the bits that aren't shiny with shiny things. Starting with that rear wheel.

But the bike can be ridden. And that is why we have motorcycles, yes?

Chuck

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/26/07 at 14:52:49

That looks pretty d@mn sweet! Good job!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #29 - 08/26/07 at 17:09:29

chuck wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The tank required the one modification I have made to the frame--the little round tank support thingies stick out too far for this tank so I cut the stalks just before the round bit and trimmed down the round rubber bouncy thingies and now the tank is secured up front quite well.

I just LOVE it when you guys talk technical... Grin

Yeah, pop some sort of fender or rack on the back to balance out that fabu front tire assembly and tiny seat.  Good job on the license plate mount too. It's been fun to watch this develop and it's really turned out cool.  8)

What did you decide about the position of the footpegs after the long ride?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ya gotta start somewhere

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.