Send Topic Print
Screwed (Read 8 times)
Thump05
YaBB Newbies

2005 S 40 Boulevard

Mt. Vernon, IL
Screwed
06/12/07 at 20:26:38

Ok I admit I laid my 2005 S 40 down. I am still a beginner rider. But at least I was not hurt except my pride. After waiting a week for a new rh tail light, the only other thing that got broken, it finally arrived today. All excited to get riding again, I proceded in trying to remove, seemed to be a simple operation, the broken rh tail light. What the #$@*& do they put those screws in with? I believe they must be welded or glued. I got the correct size phillips type screw head and could not budge the thing. And even though I had good contact and the correct size, the screw head started to tear apart like cheap pot metal.  Angry

So I went to Sears and purchased a good quality stripped screw remover aI tried tapping it with a hammer and heating it with a soldering iron. And all it did was continue to tear the screw head apart without loosening it abit. Anyone else had this problem? I have not removed my seat yet because the hex head in the rear is also very tight and I do not wish to tear it up. I guess I go to a machine shop and pay more money. I hope the rest of the bike does not turn out to be so cheap.

Thump05
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Re: Screwed
Reply #1 - 06/12/07 at 20:48:38

Thump05 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
.... like cheap pot metal.

Interesting...
What screw are you having trouble with, you don't say. You have a fairly new ride so I don't think it's rust or corrosion. Have you used any type of penetrating oil ( Careful some will ruin the paint)? It's not a reverse thread so that can't be it. Please don't take this any other way than the way it is meant. What are you using for tools? Cheap tools will always fail or foul at the worst time.  From your interesting comment I take it you are familiar with cheap quality.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 06/12/07 at 21:33:08

Ahh... and another person gets educated on the cheap Japanese phillips head screw. I learned this valuable lesson about 1968 with a Honda CL-90.

Having an impact screwdriver is an absolute necessity; and they're cheap. While you're at it, pick up a "dead blow" hammer to whack it with, you won't regret buying either if you intend to keep working on your own bikes. The action of hammering and twisting a screw at the same moment prevents the striping, and loosens them effectively. Unfortunately once you've stripped the head, the proper tool may not help you. But at least next time you'll have the correct tool to prevent stripping in the first place. Using the recommended penetrating lube first still helps.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/13/07 at 06:02:31

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/13/07 at 06:46:59

Don't feel bad....I had the same thing happen on the wifes new "06. I was put'n on the backrest and I assume you're talking about the single phillips on the underside of the turn signal to the fender rail.

Mine started to strip too and I was using a Snap On screw driver. Had to unplug the signal and then take the rail to the vise (padded it up). Ending up using a hack saw to cut a new groove and with better leverage in the vise got the booger out.

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/13/07 at 07:27:47

Whenever I strip out a phillips screw I spew a lot of swear words and then I use a dremel to cut a slot all the way across the screw. This will allow you to use a standard screwdriver with a lot of muscle to remove it. Works pretty good for me. I second the tactic of using a hammer and penetrating oil like Kroil or WD-40.

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #6 - 06/13/07 at 07:36:53

I think the reason the seat bolt (at the back) is tight is because they use a locking compound. Using a metric hex with ratchet worked great. If you are removing the seat, don't forget the two additional bolts near the front of the seat on the left and right side.

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/13/07 at 11:07:06

Someone once told me that the reason these things sometimes lock together is because part A and part B are made of dissimilar metals. Essentially that constitutes a weak battery, and the metals try to diffuse into each other wherever they touch. I believe it's called "fretting". I've replaced such screws with stainless steel Allens, but later when I've removed those screws for routine maintenance they came loose with a pronounced "snap", as though the aluminum had lightly fretted to the stainless (aluminum is pretty reactive stuff). I finally applied graphite powder (pencil lead) to the threads and that seemed to prevent further incidents.

Off the subject slightly ...... exhaust nuts. These things can rust on solid. I use steel studs/bolts with brass nuts for everything on the exhaust system. Never any problem getting things apart.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/13/07 at 11:48:58

I use anti sieze in lots of places.

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/13/07 at 12:07:31

[quote author=borne2fly link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1181705198;start=0#7 date=06/13/07 at 11:07:06]I believe it's called "fretting".
quote]

...or galling? Caused by friction and heat?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/13/07 at 12:26:04

Using a bit of toothpaste on the tip of the screwdriver can help it grab a bit better to avoid stripping but if it's already buggered, it won't likely help.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/13/07 at 12:43:27

Galling is the result of friction & heat. But a screw that is screwed in & not messed with undergoes the galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals being in contact.
The reason pullers arent supposed to be used with power tools is that the threads may gall.Well, that & they might break & become a hazard to someones health.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:24:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Screwed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.