Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy (Read 21398 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy
Reply #150 - 07/26/23 at 22:13:17

you get an email in just a little bit

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #151 - 12/11/23 at 12:09:25

I've read thru all 11 pages (fascinating!)...

Did I get this kinda correct -- If the existing plunger is riding out 15mm+, assemble your new Versy CCT in the 2nd hole on a Versy CCT.  If it's 15mm or less, start in Hole #1 and recheck as follows for possible transfer to Hole #2.  Because nobody likes having their spring compressed too much.

Recheck Mileage Table (19mm - existing plunger extension mm) x 1,000

15mm - recheck in 4k miles
14mm - 5k
13mm - 6k
12mm - 7k
11mm - 8k
10mm - 9k
9mm - 10k

Did I get that kinda ballpark right in terms of when you would want to check and transfer from Hole #1 to Hole #2 of the Versy CCT?

Said another way, this guideline might apply if someone is considering buying a Versy CCT.  If you are at 15mm+, buy it now and plug it in Hole #2 (and compress your long spring).  If you are under 15mm (sorry guys), you might get away with kicking the can down the road until your next oil change or 3-4K miles before you buy it.  (Fair assessment?)

Basically, at 19mm+ you are playing with fire and risking rapid unplanned disassembly within the next 3-4K miles.

Since chains stretch the most in their early life, these mileage estimates might be considered safe guidelines since the chain will stretch less later in life and move the plunger less quickly than when the chain was younger.  And if you just do a lot of short stop and go riding, it’ll trash (stretch) the chain sooner than lots of highway riding.

They should make engine side covers from that "high tech aquarium glass" so you can watch your engine work and do inspections without needing to remove the covers.  If you can only see black oil, drain and/or change for better inspection.    Roll Eyes Grin

« Last Edit: 12/11/23 at 15:18:19 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #152 - 12/11/23 at 16:00:26

ThumperPaul wrote on 12/11/23 at 12:09:25:
Did I get this kinda correct -- If the existing plunger is riding out 15mm+, assemble your new Versy CCT in the 2nd hole on a Versy CCT.  If it's 15mm or less, start in Hole #1 and recheck as follows for possible transfer to Hole #2.  Because nobody likes having their spring compressed too much.

•Recheck Mileage Table (19mm - existing plunger extension mm) x 1,000

••Said another way, this guideline might apply if someone is considering buying a Versy CCT.

•••Basically, at 19mm+ you are playing with fire and risking rapid unplanned disassembly within the next 3-4K miles.

Yes, it's a bad idea to compress the spring more than necessary, and you'll probably need to look at the clutch as well.  So thinking you never want to see it again is a bad idea.
•If you have a verslavy with a pin and slot limiting the max extension, at whatever extension (assuming those were your miles) I would divide extension by miles to determine the next check point to get 19mm extension.
••If you don't have a verslavy, then you shouldn't throw caution to the wind as a failure will take away your wind and leave you walking in the dust.  1,000 miles per mm is a conservative estimate.  Making a guess that you need to check in 2 to 3,000 miles is reasonable, while guessing you have 10 to 20,000 is not.
•••And also, this when the housing gets damaged.  Ovaling begins to occur and you may need to replace the entire assy if you let it go too long.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #153 - 12/11/23 at 17:56:25

Thanks, I think...  I'm trying not to throw caution to the wind...which is why I ask all this.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #154 - 12/11/23 at 18:57:16

Awe come on!

Throw caution to the wind.

Get a new Verslavy OT!

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #155 - 12/12/23 at 05:19:18

Right!  will probably get the cover off this week and see what I have going on in there.  This bike has had several owners and has aftermarket exhaust, handlebars, and a Mikuni VM36 carb.  So there is some chance it has one of your CCT installed.  We’ll see - you might have a shot at some kind of sale!

Any history or guidance on using your CCT as a means for determining if the timing chain needs to be replaced (as opposed to measuring the chain itself).  

For example, if you are already using the 2nd hole on the CCT and it’s extended say 15mm, is it time to get a new chain?  My guess is that the chain would need replacement before you hit 19mm using the 2nd hole.

It seems once you are on the 2nd hole, the CCT could act as a cam chain replacement measuring guide.  Hit 15 or 17mm or whatever mm measurement = replace the chain.  What’s the magic number that equals replace the chain?  Or has this never been correlated?

« Last Edit: 12/12/23 at 06:24:57 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 22:52:18

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.