Send Topic Print
Urban legend or cure? (Read 13 times)
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Urban legend or cure?
05/01/07 at 18:59:26

A number of years ago I ran across this interesting approach to eliminating the tendency of pipes to turn blue. The cure was to wrap several revolutions of copper wire around the header as close to the engine head as possible. I tried it on a Honda 350 back in the 70's and never had any bluing. I was wondering if anyone else had run across similar advice. Seems like sound logic for helping dissipate heat.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Urban legend or cure?
Reply #1 - 05/01/07 at 22:00:59

Sounds like urban legend stuff to me.  The logic would be that the copper works as a heat sink and pulls enough heat away from the pipe to prevent bluing.  I seriously doubt it.  The finned aluminum retaining ring like on old 60's bikes would probably do a better job.
BTW, I have had compliments on my blued pipe from riders and non-riders alike.  Riders think I'm a bad- a$$, and non-riders have asked if the pipe was a custom color or if they come stock like that.  BMW and Guzzi guys wear their blued pipes as a badge of honor.  Your not a real rider if your pipes aren't blued!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/02/07 at 05:41:58

If you want it blue, just wrap it with some header wrap and ride for a couple of weeks.  It'll blue the hell out of the header and get your muffler going blue a lot faster too.  I'm just gonna get mine ceramic coated.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/07 at 06:22:04

My Guzzi ( Nevada 750) blued the pipes in under 20 minutes.Those dudes are set up  lean!

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/07 at 10:07:29

my (now departed - wasn't using it enough) BMW pipes blued just like every other BMW on the road - part of the charm of  them, I've heard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:14:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Urban legend or cure?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.