Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Belt squeaking SOLVED! (Read 98 times)
Jimsey67
Ex Member

Belt squeaking SOLVED!
04/12/07 at 07:37:13

I thought I'd mention this because I have seen several posts about drive belts squeaking.

Mine used to squeak a bit and then the other day I dropped the rear wheel to realign the fender and install saddle bag struts. Anyway, when I reinstalled the rear wheel and got everything tight, the belt squeak was worse. After carefully looking it over I noticed that the belt was riding to one side of the pulley on the rear wheel even though the wheel adjusters were tightened the same according to the marks on the swing arm. So I loosened the axle nut again, jacked up the bike (motorcycle jack lift from AutoZone = $50.00), rechecked the tension on the belt (good), fired it up, put it in gear and watched the belt ride. Of course it was riding to one side like it looked when it was static (not moving). Then I fine tuned the wheel adjuster on the non drive side (loosening it causes the drive belt to move to the right side of the cog, tightening it causes the opposite) until the belt ran in the center of the pulley. When I tightened up the rear axle, the squeak was gone completely. No oil, wd-40, or wax and NO squeak!

Edit: Note that the adjuster doesn't have to be moved much to get this effect.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Belt squeaking SOLVED!
Reply #1 - 04/12/07 at 08:04:10

Okay, Jim.

I'm afraid that I have to be a skeptic.  You do realize that the pulley is mounted on rubber cushions and you can move it laterally by hand?

How true do you think it will run with a torque load out on the street...especially since the pulley is not rigidly mounted to the hub?

I once tried what you have done.  You really can't finely adjust the pulley because it doesn't always run parallel to the wheel.  Changing torque loads cause it to move.

There is also another little subtle issue that is hard to see.  The belt and the swingarm do not move on the same radius.  Therefore as the shocks compress the belt actually gets a little tighter.  Check it out.  That is why it is better to toss the gage and go by the 90 method for belt adjustment.  When your butt is bouncing on the seat the tension constantly changes (hence the rubber cushions)

The wheel adjusters are for alignment of the wheel, not the belt.  You want the wheels to be aligned with the frame.  Too much belt tension is what causes the squeak.

PS - it is cool to run the wheel up on a jack though, isn't it?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/12/07 at 08:27:11

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
PS - it is cool to run the wheel up on a jack though, isn't it?

Warning! this should only be done by full trained qualified personel!!!

so read the manual(s) for the jack and the ls650 owners guide as well as the stickers on the tank - and go for it! (might want to watch where the cat has it's tail)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/12/07 at 08:36:12

Every time I screw up I become even more trained  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/12/07 at 08:37:53

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
...as well as the stickers on the tank....

"Motorcycles for Dummies"....

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/12/07 at 08:51:31

my belt squeak was drivin me nuts with the temp swings from morning to afternoon, would adjust belt "cold" then would squeak next morning, tried after riding an hour or so next morning same thing..
bought some belt dressing(silicones,applies as wet aerosol, dries tackless)not a peep since!! a pain to apply alone w/o a stand/lift, need to adapt my homemade 4x4 to lift rear wheel..
oem tension gauge IS junk...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/13/07 at 02:45:34

How long you been using that silicone stuff on the belt?
Where di ya get it?
How much did it cost?

I am tired of the squeak & my belt isnt too tight. I do the 90 degree twist adjustment.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/13/07 at 03:14:44

I confess to going off the alignment marks attempting to find a pulley tracking that didn't rub the outside of the rear pulley.  My problem is that it didn't stay very long and repeated attempts to find it seemed to be chasing a moving target.  Then I read about the rubber bumpers wearing more and more as you rode ... and I quit chasing butterflies.

(I still ride off the alignment marks, but that is to make my front end sit square to the frame, not chase the belt)

I use wax on my belt edges to stop the belt sqeaking.  I use a block of carnuba wax I found at work because it was "available".  I suspect any kind of wax would work just as well.  The wax melts in actual riding and coats the rubber (most of it slings off I suspect) but it leaves no visible residue or coloration.  It works for over a month then must be re-applied.  

I doubt wax will hurt rubber because it is part of what makes up rubber.  Silicone and the volitile solvents that are in the can - I dunno.  Our belts last a long time then die due to cracking and such as they dry out.  Applying wax periodically would actually help prevent this drying out process.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 04/13/07 at 08:24:48

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
How long you been using that silicone stuff on the belt?
Where di ya get it?
How much did it cost?

I am tired of the squeak & my belt isnt too tight. I do the 90 degree twist adjustment.
belt dressings is made by TWIN POWER...$6.99 at MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES(local dealer/shop not brand specific)..
your local hardley shop should carry it..
been on my belt for about a month,used less than a 1/4 can .. i do the twist also....
read the back of the can: mfg. by SILKOLENE lubricaants
exclusively for BIKERS CHOICE...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/13/07 at 11:07:11

Belts do squeak in the rain.  Especially without a belt guard.  I suppose that it helps to be noticed in bad weather. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/14/07 at 01:44:41

Thanks TC..

Yea, Greg, everybody knows loud belts save lives..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/14/07 at 08:28:39

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:14:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt squeaking SOLVED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.