Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clymers vs Official (Read 13 times)
noshow
YaBB Newbies

Clymers vs Official
04/11/07 at 11:54:56

I am looking into buying a guide for my 2006 s40.

What is the difference between the official guide and the Clymer guide.

The Clymer's book seems to be cheaper by about half the price so does that mean it contains a lot less info?

Also I have seen another forum that had corrected info that the Clymer's may have messed up on....typos or whatever.

I am hoping to use one of them for just regular oil changes and small upgrades. Nothing fancy...unless later down the road I need to do my own repairs of some kind.

The Clymers website: $34.95

http://clymer.com/products.asp?Type=Motorcycle

And the official: $64.95

http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/2006/62/0/18035/13577

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Clymers vs Official
Reply #1 - 04/11/07 at 12:19:48

In my opinion, the Clymer is meant as a general maintenance handbook.  For the purposes you've described, it's great (depending on the repairs down the road).  As you've stated, it does contain errors.  One of the worst is the direction of rotation to use when setting TDCC.  It is definitely cheaper and it does not contain as much information as the SSM.  Personally, I prefer the SSM but sometimes compare illustrations between the two books.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #2 - 04/11/07 at 12:34:22

when are they going to update the Clymers, they only go to 2004, is there much difference in the 2004 vs 2006 savage.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/11/07 at 12:51:11

Sounds like the Clymers would fit the need you describe - you can find them around $25 includes ship on ebay and perhaps amazon

IP Logged
noshow
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 04/11/07 at 12:55:40

I have an 06 but haven't seen any other model first hand.

What I can tell by reading this forum :

There is a passing function on the left handlebar of the 06 that the older bikes do not have.

Also the electrical might be a tad bit different. Such as a relay on the main headlight while starting up. (It doesn't turn on while cranking the engine.)

I believe I have read other slight differences but don't recall them right now.

All in all, maybe 4 or 5 things may have changed but all very low key.  Such as the cushion on the seats....or maybe even the rails on the rear fender?

I had been making mental notes when I ran across something that seemed different....but now I forget.

They are still the same bikes outside of the name change of Savage to S40.

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/11/07 at 12:58:14

I got my Savage after sitting in a backyard shed for 5 years half torn apart.  

Using a Clymer manual and NO experience, I was able to completely tear down and rebuild the entire bike....head, carb, electrical system, brake system, transmission, belt drive.....everything.  

In my opinion, Clymer is the ONLY way to go.  I haven't seen the "official" manual, but I can't imagine that it has anything that the Clymer doesn't.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/11/07 at 17:31:26

I have the Clymers - as was originally pointed out by another - Amazon sells it for about $25 - don't forget to take the free freight option @ checkout to save $3.50! I think the Suzuki manual, judging by other workshop ones, is more for the technically inclined - the Clymers works for me with every bike I've owned (or Haynes - the Clymers equivalent manual in England)

but like someone else says a mistake is the direction they tell you to turn over the bike to get TDC!

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/11/07 at 18:02:00

The only time I by a Clymers guide is when I can't find an official service manual. The Clymers guide is good for someone who is just learning and knows nothing about the basics of turning a wrench or the machine they are working on. It's a very good book in my opinion if you fall into that catagory. However as a certified mechanic I just can't find what I need to do the job without an  official service manual.

My certafication was in the mid 70's so my knowledge of emission controls is self taught. It is at times when I am working around these devices that I find having both manuals helps me a lot. The illustrations in the Clymers are very helpful but the technical data is sometimes missing or difficult to find.

The people on this web site seem to be packed with information so the Clymer's and this site will probably be enough for you.

P.S. I'm still a fan of the official service manual.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/11/07 at 21:24:51

You mentioned this but I forgot to answer.  What differences are you worried about if you can't get an '06 manual yet?  A couple of wires colors are about all the differences that you'll find for your changes.

Either way, the Clymer won't be any more up to date than the SSM at this time...there is always a time lag in any manual.

If you don't plan to go into any depth with an engine rebuild, then get the Clymer.  You'll save $15-20.  On the other hand, (though I haven't confirmed it) if you get the SSM, you are supposed to be able to get updates for new pages as the are released.  That is why the SSM comes in a hard cover 7 ring binder with removable pages.

More money or more info?  The choice is still yours...

PS - get the Clymer Smiley

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/11/07 at 23:12:26

I guess I should have mentioned I have an 06'  Suzuki LS650 service manual and I own an 07' bike. The bar code on this manual is 99500-36087-03E. That's the code they used in the dealer's service and part's department. I don't see any real differences between 05' and 06' at a glance. Smiley

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/12/07 at 04:29:09

Like I said above, I just finished a complete tear apart and rebuild with the Clymer and it showed me everything I needed.

I must admit that I was a little offended with the statement that the Clymer manual is for someone who T140V wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
is just learning and knows nothing about the basics of turning a wrench or the machine they are working on.

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I definately know my way around a shop and I sure do know how to turn a wrench.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/12/07 at 07:07:54

praetorian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Like I said above, I just finished a complete tear apart and rebuild with the Clymer and it showed me everything I needed.

I must admit that I was a little offended with the statement that the Clymer manual is for someone who

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I definately know my way around a shop and I sure do know how to turn a wrench.

Of course.  A good mechanic can use a Clymer as well.  I think that what he meant is that an inexperienced mechanic shouldn't get the SSM.  The SSM assumes that you have training.

My only "certification" is lots and lots of busted knuckles Tongue

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/12/07 at 10:18:19

Greg_650 is right. I certainly didn't mean any offense praetorian. Since you are an accomplished mechanic the Clymers guide made it easy for you. A service manual would benefit a person such as yourself. If noshow wants to learn something about working on a " motorcycle" the Clymers Guide {and that's just what it is, a guide} would be a good starter book.

The Clymers guide will tell you how to find things such as crankshaft runout in a step by step descripion. The service manual will assume you already know how to do that and will only give you a measurement. I think it's really great you rebuilt that bike useing the Clymer's Guide. I'm just saying it would take me twice as long to read through the Clymers as it would to use the service manual. Sometimes the Clymers will put the technical data in with the discription and you have to go back and forth looking for the information you need at hand.

I have 5 or 6 Clymers/ Chilton guide's in my collection but I prefer the service manuals for quick referance. The LS650 service manual cost me $82.00 with the tax. I expected it to cost about that. The manual for my Ford pickup cost me $150.00, it has 5 books and is 6 inches thick. I wouldn't expect someone who is inexperienced to be able to use it. However the Clymers would be much thinner and involve one book. The Clymers can be very incomplete and sometimes down right wrong on their information.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 04/12/07 at 10:30:13

keep an eye on ebay as well for the Suzuki SSM - picked one up a clean for less that $20

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/12/07 at 10:31:29

$82.00 for the SSM?  What parts am I missing?

Mine cost $42.00 in 2000.  $40.00 is a big difference...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 08:59:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clymers vs Official

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.