Send Topic Print
Am I to rich? (Read 10 times)
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Am I to rich?
04/10/07 at 15:25:25

Well Seems my tinkering has me in a Rich condition. its a 2001 Currently Running 55 pilot and 152.5 main, 3/4 spacer, 1 3/4 out on screw. K&N stock style. Dyna exhuast no baffles / straight pipe.  
Heres the problem when i slap the throttle a couple of times it will back fire Aka fuel puddle in my pipe. plus when i rev the beast it will idle down then back up to norm. some times it will just stall. you guys think i should go down another jet or is this a case of an air leak messing me up. or better yet is the straight pipe my woes. I was going to baffle it but my buddy up the street who has the welder said it sounded better with out the baffle when we were listening to it.

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Re: Am I to rich?
Reply #1 - 04/10/07 at 15:33:44

plug is dry fouling ???

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/10/07 at 15:45:12

If it were me I'd make sure there are no air leaks, go back to stock pilot jet, and make sure the slide was as clean as clean can get - not even one greasy finger print.

Really the pilot should only be changed out if your way over 2 pushing 3 turns out on the mixture

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 16:41:39

Oem pilot was running good at 2 3/4 out which seemed to far. I did pull the the slide out for inspection and that was half my problem. I seem to remember lubing that slide when i did the spacer mod  Embarrassed . and later found people on this site had said to keep that thing spotless!  So, all you out in T.V. land.  Keep your Slide Clean

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/10/07 at 18:27:19

yea it gets weird - the slide has such close tolerences it will gather up what ever oil or grease is in the bore and make a think ring of it at the bottom and start hanging up a little bit before it closes the needle jet and main jet - you talking about a magnum pilot jet at that point

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/11/07 at 05:38:53

I would check the float height, too. If it's too high, it just keeps allowing fuel in the bowl.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 04/11/07 at 06:41:27

A little WD 40 on the slide, wipe it off with a rag. That leaves enough lubrication on the slide.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #7 - 04/11/07 at 20:50:16

Heres an update
* Slide sticking - fixed Grin
* found Exhuast leak at header- Yet to be fixed
I've also checked the plug and light amount of black soot.
  If i want to check the float height what should i measure from ? and what should the height be set at?
   Thanks for the input makes trouble shooting a whole lot easier when you got some advice Grin

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/11/07 at 20:54:21

when you torque down the bolts @ the header be sure to do it with engine cold - I think Greg also advises to, after you have ridden it around a few times, to check tightness again, again doing it when cold. use correct wrench setting & be careful not to overtighten.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/11/07 at 21:10:50

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
when you torque down the bolts @ the header be sure to do it with engine cold - I think Greg also advises to, after you have ridden it around a few times, to check tightness again, again doing it when cold. use correct wrench setting & be careful not to overtighten.

You are right, but the rule is pretty common.

There are a couple reasons...the biggest is because you can over tighten steel bolts in an aluminum head if they are hot.  Then you can end up with a damaged head.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #10 - 04/12/07 at 15:58:02

Scottwerty wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Heres an update
* Slide sticking - fixed Grin
* found Exhuast leak at header- Yet to be fixed
I've also checked the plug and light amount of black soot.
  If i want to check the float height what should i measure from ? and what should the height be set at?
   Thanks for the input makes trouble shooting a whole lot easier when you got some advice Grin

Clymer's manual says around 27mm-29mm for float height, measured off the flat face that the float bowl gasket seats on.  NOT, I repeat NOT the ridge that guides the float bowl into the seal.

Just to ask, what fixed your sticky slide?

Someone correct me if my memory of the float height is wrong, it's been like....a week since I adjusted my carb, and my Clymer's is elsewhere.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/13/07 at 02:54:21

I have been resisting this reply since I first saw the thread.

Yes, Scott you are Waay too rich.
AND, I am Waaay too good looking..

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #12 - 04/13/07 at 07:20:17

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Just to ask, what fixed your sticky slide?

Just pulled the the slide out and used carb cleaner and wiped the old lube off! no biggie
I'll check the fuel bowl height right after i finish my taxes :'(

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #13 - 04/13/07 at 10:27:00

Alright, Just thought of something thats a big factor.  Old Gas!!! Yep I've just tried to tune with Bad Dino Juice.
I went to a gas station a month ago and only got 2 dollars worth of fresh gas to mix with the old stuff that sat in the bike for 5 months. Put some fresh gas in and i should be good . Yep I'm an Idiot Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/13/07 at 11:04:10

Scottwerty wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Alright, Just thought of something thats a big factor.  Old Gas!!! Yep I've just tried to tune with Bad Dino Juice.
I went to a gas station a month ago and only got 2 dollars worth of fresh gas to mix with the old stuff that sat in the bike for 5 months. Put some fresh gas in and i should be good . Yep I'm an Idiot Roll Eyes  

With the cost of gas, I'd hardly call you an idiot Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:31:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I to rich?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.