Battery Charging (Read 6 times)
mclutter
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Anchorage, Alaska
Battery Charging
03/31/07 at 10:10:36

Good day to everyone. I have been charging my battery since last night and the highest reading I get from my voltmeter is about 11.54 volts. I tried to start my bike and I got the dead battery sound from the starter. I figured it would start with it being so close to 12volts. What is the proper time period for charging at 1.25A? Oh the fluid in the battery is at the proper level. Maybe I just need a new battery.

Which leads me into my next question. I live in Alaska and I can not find anyone who will ship a battery to me. I have seen these Big Cranks that everyone talks about. What if I wanted to go into Schucks cause that's what I have here and get a Maintenance free battery? What would I get or could I get any 12V battery that would fit into my bikes battery tray? Your thoughts are appreciated.  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Battery Charging
Reply #1 - 03/31/07 at 11:08:58

It sounds like you have a dead cell, time for a new one.

I'd match up the spec's as best as possible and get the one that fits.  But the more cold cranking power the better for you I'd think.  And brush up on the push start technique.

You gotta do whatcha gotta do to ride.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/07 at 11:23:37

a big crank is best (my used bike came with a new maintenance free battery so I left well enough alone - know what I'll replace it with though)

I'd advise a maintenance free one if you can't get a big crank - saves checking fluid again or getting a dead cell through the fluid getting low.

a battery tender (about $50-60 I think) is not a bad idea - like a trickel charger that cannot overcharge a battery - having rigged up pigtail (comes with tender) to battery the plug tucked under seat when not in use to ensure Savage's battery is always fully charged.

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/07 at 11:32:11

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:02:24 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #4 - 03/31/07 at 17:42:51

I bought a new battery, and it seemed to take a long time to finally get a full charge.  We used a 12 volt, 6 amp. charger, and kept watching the meter to see how charged it was.  I think we were charging it for a few days, though we didn't charge it overnight, when we couldn't check on it.  Took a lot longer than I antipated, but it seems ok(?)

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Burlyoni
YaBB Newbies

Celina Tx.
Reply #5 - 04/02/07 at 06:39:39

I just got a trickle charger off of Ebay for like twenty bucks plus shipping.

Original+Burrow Original+Burrow   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/02/07 at 11:34:38

I have used the Battery Tender Jr. for years with no problems.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/02/07 at 12:49:52

i wouldnt use a 6mp charger on a motorcycle battery...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Reply #8 - 04/02/07 at 14:21:50

Hey Mclutter,

I thought I was the only person here from Alaska but I guess not. I was on my way to the Big Crank website to order a batter just now but I would rather not have to pay $40 in shipping to get it up here... Undecided Let me know what you find.

Its great weather we're having lately huh? Its supposed to get better later this week too  Grin and if you're ever in Homer stop by.

IP Logged
mclutter
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Anchorage, Alaska
Reply #9 - 04/03/07 at 20:22:30

Bri_Fri wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hey Mclutter,

I thought I was the only person here from Alaska but I guess not. I was on my way to the Big Crank website to order a batter just now but I would rather not have to pay $40 in shipping to get it up here... Undecided Let me know what you find.

Its great weather we're having lately huh? Its supposed to get better later this week too  Grin and if you're ever in Homer stop by.

Well it is nice to see someone else here who lives in Alaska. I live in Anchorage and I will probably go out this weekend. Supposed to be in the upper 40's and my driveway and neighborhood is pretty much ice free.

Anyways I went to Batteries Plus here in Anchorage as suggested above thanks Dr_Jim. They had a 12volt sealed AGM non-spillable (XTA14AHL-BS) for the ls650 for $59. I installed it and my baby started right up. Talk to you soon.

IP Logged
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Reply #10 - 04/11/07 at 00:18:26

Thanks for the tip Mclutter. I got the battery from batteries plus and she did exactly as you said.

Thanks again,
           Brian

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/11/07 at 09:36:31

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I bought a new battery, and it seemed to take a long time to finally get a full charge.  We used a 12 volt, 6 amp. charger, and kept watching the meter to see how charged it was.  I think we were charging it for a few days, though we didn't charge it overnight, when we couldn't check on it.  Took a lot longer than I antipated, but it seems ok(?)

Unusual to buy a new battery that needs to be charged.

A 6 amp charger is pretty strong for a bike battery.  Won't say that I haven't done it, but you gotta be careful.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 04/11/07 at 09:44:07

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I have used the Battery Tender Jr. for years with no problems.

We have the ones from EMGO.  A good bit cheaper.  Same current rating.  If I'm gonna keep 'em on the charger for a long period, I use a little timer to turn the chargers on and off.  About 30 minutes a day that way.

I do that because I don't trust the regulating abilities of the chargers Tongue

I also took the plug in connectors and wired them directly into the harnesses at the starter relay.  Then I just pull the end out from under the side cover and connect to the charger.  Easy to do.  No clips on the battery posts that way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/11/07 at 09:50:23

I've heard new batteries shipped w/o juice new to be activated with a long charge but never got one myself.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/11/07 at 09:52:33

Okay.  Shipped.  I see that.

IP Logged