Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
muffler only? (Read 5 times)
dwhas3
Ex Member

muffler only?
04/12/07 at 11:03:53

hi all, couple questions. i just bought this 05 s40 with 950 miles. runs decent, backfires on deceleration. if i put just a harly dyna muffler on, what can i expect? what if i do the muffler and and drill out the brassplug and adjust the mixture screw also? live 600 feet above sea level. thank's "dw"

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: muffler only?
Reply #1 - 04/12/07 at 11:15:20

don't think just doing the mixture screw will do it - think you will have to rejet - @ least the main. likely someone on site who lives @ elevation you do can give you pointers on range of jets to play with.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/12/07 at 11:22:02

I agree with george,
adjusting the pilot mixture will take care of the backfire you have now.  But change the muf and you'll need to change the jet.

Welcome to the group   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #3 - 04/12/07 at 13:09:34

I put a dyna muff on my '06. I rejetted and did the spacer mod at the same time. I still get a healty bark when shifting. When I do my 3000 mile maintenece I am going to remove the spacer altogether. I live in Memphis TN. Not sure of the elevation but it's close enough to 600 ft to count for a good comparison. You will wonder if you are on the wrong bike after you do the mods and jets. I ride moderate to hard in rush hour traffic and am still pushing close to 60 mpg. The dyna muff will be deeper but not overly loud. I love the sound but the neighbor's dogs don't. Welcome to the group!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
dwhas3
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/07 at 17:32:11

thank's guys, where is the white spacer located in the carb at? . does the pilot and main jet, screw in the bottom of the carb once the bowl is off? where can i buy theses parts. thank again
dave waserman

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 04/12/07 at 17:52:17

Welcome aboard, you can find many details "How-to" in this section  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech
Have fun tinkering Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/12/07 at 19:53:39

the pliot & main jet are accesed by the bottom of the carb, the spacer from the top - the screws top & bottom of the carb are soft - many screw up the heads when taking them out so recommend replacing them with stainless steel allen head ones from local hardware store or similar.

there has been a debate on site as to what is best - Clymers or the official Suzuki manuals - I have the former as easier for layman to follow, cost is cheapest via Amazon @ $25, stipulating free frieght option @ checkout. it will help you with most all projects you could have on bike, with aid from advice from this great site.

you can replace the white spacer with some washers - forget which size but if you ask on site someone will help.

also as I said before let us know elevation you are @ so folks on here can recommend what sort of main jet range you should buy. I for instance am different than many due to living not @ about sea level like most seem to but @ 4,500 feet in sunny western CO in the high desert (even if it did unseasonalby snow today - sun came out & it cleaered up same day - this is a great place to live!)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/07 at 03:11:03

Can I ask what ya paid for that bike?

IP Logged
dwhas3
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/13/07 at 05:31:14

justin, i paid $2800.00 i live in maryland. dmv said book was $3750.00
"dw"

IP Logged
dwhas3
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/13/07 at 05:34:51

i removed the brass plug and adjusted the scew out to about 2 turns. set the idle back down a little. i can't tell if it runs any better or not?. trying to find out where to buy the jets and stuff at.
"dw"

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/13/07 at 05:37:23

dwhas3 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
i removed the brass plug and adjusted the scew out to about 2 turns. set the idle back down a little. i can't tell if it runs any better or not?. trying to find out where to buy the jets and stuff at.
"dw"

Please use the procedure in Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning in the Tech Ref forum.  Following the entire process works much better.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/14/07 at 00:56:23

You stole that thing.. Nice goin.. So, now you planning on making it run good enough to make you want to sell that Harley?  Grin

Imagine, buying a bike for under 3 grand, sticking about $700.00 worth of mods in it & having a sub 5 second zero to 60 ride that gets 40+MPG.. Ad about 200 $ to that & put a chian on it & the thing will hit the slab nicely,too.. Tho the sub 5 0-60 suffers.

Someone here has a sub 5 machine, Lancer? Is that right?

IP Logged
dwhas3
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/14/07 at 05:13:38

justin, that's not a harley in the pic with the s40, it's a 2006 kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic. out the door and on the road last may for $10,050.00. half the price for a comparable harley. still can't find a sight to buy the jets and stuff for the s-40. the s-40 is for my wife, she's just learning and i was trying to get rid of the backfire so she has one less thing to distract her. don't really need the dyna muffler. was just wondering if i could put in on with no other mods.
thank, "dw"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:58:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › muffler only?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.