Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb question....with pics (Read 7 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Carb question....with pics
02/04/07 at 14:10:46

I know I should know this..... but I am at a loss today.  I have spent several hours today working on putting the carb back on and starting to get toward attempting a startup.  I finally got the carb back in and hooked back up to the air box.... then ground to a hault.  There are 2 black tubes that come off each side of the carb.  The bike was in pieces when I got it and I have no clue what these are or where they connect to.  I am SOOOO frustrated right now I came close to ripping the carb back out of the bike today.  I'm sure someone knows what they are and more importantly, where they connect to.  I have searched and searched , but can find nothing for them to connect to.  HELP!!!!!!!!

For the pics I hooked the tubes up to a spare carb I have for parts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb question....with pics
Reply #1 - 02/04/07 at 14:33:20

They don't connect to anything.  They just sit in the backbone of the frame, there's an openning where it splits into 2.  They are vents, and the tubes are way up there to prevent stuff from getting in there and from fuel spilling out when it on its side.  While it's out, make sure they clear ie. no spiders.

WWW   IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/04/07 at 15:18:21

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
There are two vent hoses coming off the carb. They both tuck into the frame under the gas tank. The retangular portion of the frame under the tank is open on the end. Just run the hoses into it.

I had asked the same question.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/05/07 at 13:18:00

They go in on either side of the decompression module above the carb.

And what ever you do, don't plug them.  I heard that if they ever get plugged that you'll suck a dent in your tank.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 02/05/07 at 17:16:03

Greg,
About the 2 tubes- they do nothing. They are open to the atmosphere and are there to prevent dust from getting in the float bowl. If You remove them- not a big deal, but the carb. tends to get dustier.
About the dent in the gas tank- What You are talking about is the new stile gas tank vent hoses. It was pretty comon to "suck in" the gas tank at night /usually after service/ if You bend the vent tube. What was happening- in the morning after a long hot ride the owner was finding a big dent in the gas tank.The reason was, that the air could not come back in the tank when everything cooled down and lower pressure inside was crunching the tank.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 02/05/07 at 19:32:50

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Greg,
About the 2 tubes- they do nothing. They are open to the atmosphere and are there to prevent dust from getting in the float bowl. If You remove them- not a big deal, but the carb. tends to get dustier.
About the dent in the gas tank- What You are talking about is the new stile gas tank vent hoses. It was pretty comon to "suck in" the gas tank at night /usually after service/ if You bend the vent tube. What was happening- in the morning after a long hot ride the owner was finding a big dent in the gas tank.The reason was, that the air could not come back in the tank when everything cooled down and lower pressure inside was crunching the tank.

Guess you didn't get the latest memo... According to Greg, such things only happen in “vivid imaginations.”  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/06/07 at 05:11:36

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Guess you didn't get the latest memo... According to Greg, such things only happen in “vivid imaginations.”  Wink

Well, at least your signature line has improved.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/06/07 at 05:21:53

Greg,

Those lines do do something.  They are open to atmosphere to act as bowl vents.  If you remove the lines you may get gas slopping out on bumps and if you lean the bike over.  Allowing atmospheric pressure into the carb allows gas to be drawn out of the bowl through the jets.

They also need to be as high as possible.  A few years ago in the Be_Savage group there was a guy with a mystery fuel leak.  It turned out that a previous owner had routed his lines to the rear and down to the air box.  

If you plug them, you'll suck dents in your tank.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 02/06/07 at 05:43:40

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
They also need to be as high as possible.  A few years ago in the Be_Savage group there was a guy with a mystery fuel leak.  It turned out that a previous owner had routed his lines to the rear and down to the air box.

Now see, that was what I thought made sense logically.  Then I bought the Amal Mk2.  Its vent hoses run down the back and are held in place there with brackets/keepers designed for that purpose.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/06/07 at 05:46:13

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Now see, that was what I thought made sense logically.  Then I bought the Amal Mk2.  Its vent hoses run down the back and are held in place there with brackets/keepers designed for that purpose.

Maybe the Amal has a deeper bowl design?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 02/06/07 at 17:26:25

Greg again 2 answers and both wrong
1. Pay attention- the outlets for the 2 tubes are higher than the "IN" and "OUT" side of the carb, so if there is a leak- beforte the fuel starts leaking from the vents, it will start leaking in the air box. The only exeption is if You lean the bike way low, but in this case the fuel leak will be Your last concern. If somebody saw the fuel going out of the vents  it is because he had bad carb and the fuel was comming in faster than it could leak in the air box.
2. About sucking the gas tank - if You plug the carb vents  the bike will die very fast. There is not a connection between the carb. vents and the gas tank. The only thing about the vents is that they keep constant atmospheric pressure above the gas in the float bowl and the pressure difference is what pushes the gas in the "ventury". Check again the forum where You found that post.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 02/06/07 at 20:50:33

Greg again 2 answers and both wrong
1. Pay attention- the outlets for the 2 tubes are higher than the "IN" and "OUT" side of the carb, so if there is a leak- beforte the fuel starts leaking from the vents, it will start leaking in the air box. The only exeption is if You lean the bike way low, but in this case the fuel leak will be Your last concern. If somebody saw the fuel going out of the vents  it is because he had bad carb and the fuel was comming in faster than it could leak in the air box.
2. About sucking the gas tank - if You plug the carb vents  the bike will die very fast. There is not a connection between the carb. vents and the gas tank. The only thing about the vents is that they keep constant atmospheric pressure above the gas in the float bowl and the pressure difference is what pushes the gas in the "ventury". Check again the forum where You found that post.

Slavy.  2 answers and both make no sense.  Do you even know what you are talking about?  

Take the carb apart and look.  Of course they are higher.  You want them lower?  That's dumb.  Pick the carb up and dump some gas out.  

How's it gonna leak gas in the air box if the floats are working correctly?  Got a clue?  It won't go that high if they are setup correctly.  Get it wrong and you get gas where it ain't supposed to be.  Duh.

The rest of the stuff about "sucking the tank"?  What are you smoking?  Try this...I'm being "facetious".  Understand that word?  It means, don't take it seriously.

And..."ventury" is spelled, "venturi".

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #12 - 02/07/07 at 09:16:30

I suddenly have a hankerin for some popcorn... 8)

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 02/07/07 at 09:46:20

Geez...

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 02/07/07 at 21:33:10

Greg,
I am sorry I made it too complicated for You. Let's put it this way - with or without vent hoses, with the vent hoses going up or going down- it is the same.
About the "gas tank being sucked in"- it is good that we have the same opinion .
About the misspelling- I'll be more careful not to bring confusion in somebody's mind. Thx for the reminder.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 18:45:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb question....with pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.