Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suicide Shifter on Savage (Read 597 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Suicide Shifter on Savage
Reply #15 - 02/17/07 at 14:19:42

Interesting job you've done there.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #16 - 02/17/07 at 17:20:09

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hutch, your work looks great.  Not using a clutch does keep you more in tune with the bike as well, usually a bonus.  Just out of curiosity, I wonder if you could put a clutch lever on the shifter (No, I Doubt if you'll ever find a pearl one)so you could engage clutch and shift all with one hand??  Anyhow, your savage looks great.  Do you have a side car rig with the Enfield?  

Trippah, and Greg, thanks for the compliments. There is always a way to do something if you think about it long enough. I have done the "combo shifter" as I call it on other bikes right off the shifter spline, but doing that on the Savage would be a real challenge the way it is set up from the facory. As far as the side car goes, I might think about it when I can no longer hold a small bike up at the corner anymore.I no longer feel safe with the big bikes, and that is why I have been going to smaller ones. I'm not really looking forward to the sidecar days in my future.It would be real easy to put the clutch on my shifter and I believe Sleelwolf is thinking of doing that very thing on his bike.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 02/17/07 at 19:35:47

Hutch-know what you mean about going to sidecar.  I see three wheelers and sidecars and from this side of the line, it seems silly. Why not just go rag top sports car:but, I gota say some of the old guys do have spirit and who knows, I'll be there soon enough.  Test rode a Guzzi Claifornia stone before going to the savage.  Just a little too big to get back into bikes on.  I must admit the suicide shift when coming to a stop sign does seems a bit intimidating.  Well, again great job and happy Presidents Day.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #18 - 02/17/07 at 19:47:15

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hutch-know what you mean about going to sidecar.  I see three wheelers and sidecars and from this side of the line, it seems silly. Why not just go rag top sports car:but, I gota say some of the old guys do have spirit and who knows, I'll be there soon enough.  Test rode a Guzzi Claifornia stone before going to the savage.  Just a little too big to get back into bikes on.  I must admit the suicide shift when coming to a stop sign does seems a bit intimidating.  Well, again great job and happy Presidents Day.

Yeah thats why I keep the clutch on the bars or on the shifter. I like both feet down at stops. My dog might like the idea of the side car, then maybe he wouldn't be so bummed when I take off for a ride and leave him home. He loves the winter. I'm stuck in  the house, where he pretty much has ME trained.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Krisrkeyes
YaBB Newbies

2006 ls650 s40

Canton OH
Reply #19 - 07/05/14 at 20:55:49

Hutch wrote on 02/17/07 at 19:47:15:

Yeah thats why I keep the clutch on the bars or on the shifter. I like both feet down at stops. My dog might like the idea of the side car, then maybe he wouldn't be so bummed when I take off for a ride and leave him home. He loves the winter. I'm stuck in  the house, where he pretty much has ME trained.

Sorry, digging this up from wayyy in the past. So on the bike pictured, you had a hand clutch still on the bars, only used it to start the bike up and shut her down, and did the rest of the shifting the way you described? Am I understanding you right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/05/14 at 23:44:41

Hutch died mid2012.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #21 - 07/06/14 at 07:13:31

I'm sorry to hear that.I don't know where I was.Bummer.Hate to hear stuff like this. Sad

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 14:20:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suicide Shifter on Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!