Send Topic Print
Carb mods finished (Read 2 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Carb mods finished
12/23/06 at 22:41:47

Okay, have finally finished the carb mods. Got the 152.5 main and the 55 pilot in. white spacer shaved, and all put back together and installed back on the bike. Now all I got to do is dial it in.

I fired it up and even without test riding it yet, I can already tell the differance from stock, and I LIKE it.

Now I have to replace the brake pads and shoes, and fix the rear brake lightswitch and I'll be ready to rock.

Anyone have any step by steps on how to replace the rear brake shoes?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: Carb mods finished
Reply #1 - 12/24/06 at 09:08:11

Pretty sure when I did mine I just followed the Clymer's manual for taking off back wheel, jacking bike up first & doing brake work per manual. think maybe as wheel was not high enough off ground may have had to take off number plate for tire/wheel to clear rest of bike. Was  not hard but think it also took 2 of us to wangle it out, (but may have been just because I like someone there to chat to when I work!)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/06 at 16:24:30

I pulled it & replaced it by myself. It really is that easy. I didn't even look at the book. Recommend you get the wheel about 4 inches off the ground to more easily get it out from under the fender. When reassembling, position the chrome yokes the adjustment bolts go in so that the mark that is to line up on the dashes in the frame are on the outside & at the top. Don't ask me how I know this is important!  Undecided  Holding all the stuff in place as the exle goes in is a bit of a challenge & after the wheel is bach under the fender, dropping the bike down closer to the ground may make it a bit easier. Did for me. I used some soft rope & a come along to hoist mine. Come alongs say"For pulling only, not for lifting" Well,, I am not recommending you go against any safety steps,,, I am only reporting what I did.

Getting the wheel out all the way isn't necessary to change the brake, tho. Once the axle is out & the wheel drops down ( the brake actuator is already disconnected from the cable) the part with the brake shoes will pull right out of the wheel, no tools.

Lining the brake housing up with the slot in the frame that keeps the brake from rotating when engaged is kinda challenging. Kinda gotta slip the brakes into the wheel & rotate/lift the whole arrangement into position to accept the axle while holding the adjustment (chrome w/ dash on top) on the end of the swingarm as ya stick the axle in & slip the brake carrier into the slot on the inside front of the swingarm. Honestly, I did it alone on the 3rd try. If someone had just held the adjuster & poked the axle in as I lined the main parts up it would have been very easy. You can do it.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 12/24/06 at 16:46:39

Thanks Justin, I'll be attempting the brake shoes tomorrow. Wish me luck.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 12/24/06 at 21:50:11

YonuhAdisi;
Where did you buy your carb's jet from? I want to change the pilot one but never get around to Undecided

Thanks

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 12/25/06 at 05:30:29

I ordered my carb jets from the Suzuki stealership. They cost $3.00 USD a piece. After ordering they were in in about two to three days.

Be prepared to answer stupid questions from the parts clerks if they are anything like the ones I had to deal with.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 12/26/06 at 03:28:22

Almost ready to rock-n-roll. Repaired rear turn signals. (no longer wrapped in e-tape) and I have saddlebags again. I figured out a way to mount the saddlebags my buddie gave me. Sacrificed my old leather belt, but it works.

Haven't gotten a chance to attack my rear brakes yet. Will have to tangle with then this coming saturday when I'm off work again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 17:56:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb mods finished

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.