Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cable lube? (Read 22 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Cable lube?
03/03/06 at 08:17:30

Hey gang,

Snapped my clutch cable last night.  Fortunately I was at home, so I didn't have to walk or quick shift my way home.  Cables at the machine shop already...

Now, being the SH*T 4 BRAINS that I am,  I of course never lubed my cables.  

What do you folks recomend for cable lube?  Graphite?

Thanks,

V

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Cable lube?
Reply #1 - 03/03/06 at 08:23:54

You can buy cable lube in a spray can at most bike shops. You can pick up a tool that attaches to the can to force the lube through your cable. That's the way to go.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 03/03/06 at 08:29:16

Thanks BW.  You are always helpful.

BTW, remember a couple of months ago I was asking about the effects of too much oil?  You told me to check out my breather filter... yeah finally did that when it warmed up enough to bend the hose.  Clean as a whistle in there....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 03/03/06 at 08:33:46

It's good that it is clean, but you really should route the tube so it is higher than the cyl. head.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 03/03/06 at 08:43:42

Yeah,  I'm gonna do that soon... gotta clean my air filter and a couple of other things...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/03/06 at 10:24:40

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You can buy cable lube in a spray can at most bike shops. You can pick up a tool that attaches to the can to force the lube through your cable. That's the way to go.

That's what I've used and it's pretty simple.

When I installed the Amal carb and used a new throttle cable, I lubed the cable before installing.  It made that part simpler but it was slightly slippery when installing the cable into the slide.  If you ever do that, hang the cable up for a bit and let any excess drain to avoid getting it into the carb.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/06 at 19:46:29

While you are lubing cables, don't forget the speedo.  I had one break on my Magna for lack of lubricant.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 03/04/06 at 20:10:50

Capt._Capsize wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
While you are lubing cables, don't forget the speedo.  I had one break on my Magna for lack of lubricant.

Or you could leave out that washer for a few miles and blow engine oil all up into it... Just kidding!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Blueshift
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/05/06 at 21:18:51

That's too funny if not for the fact that's exactly what happening with my 95 Savage...initially when I noticed an oil leak around the speedo cable (where it enter the right side cover, next to the clutch cable), I opened it up to check and there wasn't any rubber o-ring or seal, just a flat metal washer...I put an o-ring in, that seems to minimize the leak but it's still leaking anyway....My question is: Is there any thing special about the original Suzuki rubber washer (special shape or something Wink, or is it just a regular rubber o-ring?  I looked at the part diagram but it doesn't show anything at that detail level....

Thanks for any info...

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 03/06/06 at 03:43:16

Blueshift wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
....My question is: Is there any thing special about the original Suzuki rubber washer (special shape or something Wink, or is it just a regular rubber o-ring?  I looked at the part diagram but it doesn't show anything at that detail level....

Thanks for any info...

Yes, it's a special sealing ring, but cannot be purchaged separately. It has to seal-off both the turning cable and the curled nut. Most of us get away with a simple "O "-ring that fits the nut.

Or you might be lucky that the previous owner lost it under the startermotor.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/06/06 at 06:19:36

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Or you might be lucky that the previous owner lost it under the startermotor.

And it could still be in that black hole too!

I've been lucky enough not to lose mine yet but several folks have and were able to use nitrile O-rings successfully.  I say nitrile just to emphasize the O-ring you select should be resistant to petroleum products or it will likely dissolve.

vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 03/06/06 at 08:46:05

Any recomendations on a plug to use to simply remove the speedo cable?  My speedo quit working.  I would liek to remove the spedo cable, but don't feel like turning the savage into a total loss system...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 03/06/06 at 10:15:35

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Any recomendations on a plug to use to simply remove the speedo cable?  My speedo quit working.  I would liek to remove the spedo cable, but don't feel like turning the savage into a total loss system...

I'm sure you could find a threaded cap somewhere in a hardware store to fit the bill but you'll probably also find speedos on eBay if you chack every now and then.

vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 03/06/06 at 10:34:19

eh... my speedo is spray painted over anyway... can just about see the green neutral indicator... maybe I'll just yank it and bondo over it soemhow...

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/06 at 13:36:02

if you bondo it, try using some fiberglass and mold it into the back so the bondo has something to to support it.. thats what i had to do with my truck when part of the wheel well rusted out.  can't even tell the difference now  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 12:04:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cable lube?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.