Send Topic Print
LS650/S40 Acceleration (Read 63 times)
elrockk
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: LS650/S40 Acceleration
Reply #15 - 12/01/06 at 18:28:51

i got it registered today, and the local weather says no rain so tommorrow we rip. maybe it just needs a good cleaning out?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 12/02/06 at 00:08:47

elrockk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
i got it registered today, and the local weather says no rain so tommorrow we rip. maybe it just needs a good cleaning out?

Probably the carb. Try adding 2 or 3 ounces of Sea Foam carb cleaner to a full tank of gas. It works wonders.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #17 - 12/02/06 at 08:59:17

A stock 1995 80 ci Harley motor only puts out 57hp.
I owned a Lowrider, and it cost me about $4000 to make it accelerate with the same feel as I get from my
Savage. These were not simple mods either. I had to change the cam, screaming eagle heads,alloy push rods,screaming eagle carb and aircleaner, and screaming eagle pipes. Should have bought a Savage
a long time ago, and I have been a die hard Harley
fanatic for years.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #18 - 12/02/06 at 09:51:27

I'm hoping all the mods I'm currently doing to my Savage gives me the same gain that is talked about in this thread. I'm basically taking all the info on this site and implementing it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #19 - 12/02/06 at 10:23:17

belive me if you do the mods on this site you will be amazed at the performance that you can get out of the Savage. I have only put on the Jardine Rumbler slip on pipe, 152.5 main jet, 55 pilot jet and KN drop in air filter.
The bike is still wanting for fuel from 75 on so I think I might go to a 155 or higher main jet. If I drill the air box I know I will have to go with a 155 or more. What I have done so far has made a very big change. These bikes have a lot of potential.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #20 - 12/02/06 at 23:11:07

SmileyI have a 2006 S40, and I am very pleased with it's performance completely stock.  It is no crotch rocket, but it will get my 205 pounds to Interstate speeds as fast as is sensible.  It will jump from 60 to 75 very quick to get around slower traffic on the Interstate without twisting the throttle all the way.  In fact I have never twisted it all the way because I have never had a reason to, it is just great the way it is.
And yes, the HDs are surprised when I pull on the Interstate with them and I am still with them at 70 or 75.
Like I have said, the S40, Love it for what it is, as it is.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/03/06 at 06:03:37

firsts40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
SmileyI have a 2006 S40, and I am very pleased with it's performance completely stock.  It is no crotch rocket, but it will get my 205 pounds to Interstate speeds as fast as is sensible.  It will jump from 60 to 75 very quick to get around slower traffic on the Interstate without twisting the throttle all the way.  In fact I have never twisted it all the way because I have never had a reason to, it is just great the way it is.
And yes, the HDs are surprised when I pull on the Interstate with them and I am still with them at 70 or 75.
Like I have said, the S40, Love it for what it is, as it is.

The S40 is one surprising little beast! My wife has no trouble keeping with me on my 1100 Sabre. She would like a louder pipe however.

You say you've gotten it up to 75? How does it feel at that speed with a light weight bike? My only concern is that my wife and the bike are light and how it feels with a  Semi coming up to pass or passes us in the opposite direction.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #22 - 12/03/06 at 06:27:54

Shocked I was surprised with the way it handles the Interstate.  Of course you feel a little shaking when a semi passes you, but it isn't bad.  You can still feel the road very well and the bike remains quite stable.  I am at 205 pounds, but I am sure your wife wouldn't have any problems either.  The longest I have had my S40 out at one time was around 6 hours, and it wasn't bad at all.  Stopping to get gas every 100-120 miles helped though.  
I think your wife will love it.  Enjoy and ride safe

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/03/06 at 07:00:22

firsts40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Shocked I was surprised with the way it handles the Interstate.  Of course you feel a little shaking when a semi passes you, but it isn't bad.  You can still feel the road very well and the bike remains quite stable.  I am at 205 pounds, but I am sure your wife wouldn't have any problems either.  The longest I have had my S40 out at one time was around 6 hours, and it wasn't bad at all.  Stopping to get gas every 100-120 miles helped though.  
I think your wife will love it.  Enjoy and ride safe

Thanks so much for your response, that makes me feel better!!!

IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #24 - 12/03/06 at 16:39:46

We're trying to make my son's 1998 Savage sound better.  He's got a stock pipe on it.  I've read your comments about Jardine's.  Are "screamin' eagles" available for this bike?  He wants it more throaty or meatier.  How much am I looking to spend?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #25 - 12/03/06 at 17:36:32

Savage = HD eater wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Are "screamin' eagles" available for this bike

Folks are buying used Screamin Eagles off Ebay or from their local Harley dealer. They can usually be found pretty cheap. It takes a little adaptation, but they do sound good / loud. You'll want to rejet the carb if you add any muffler but stock.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #26 - 12/03/06 at 19:16:10

I originally put on the SuperTrapp to get rid of the embarassing stock muffler backfireing. But I got a wonderful surprise, I got a lot more power! Cheesy There was even more pull a lower speeds. Cheesy

The SuperTrapp upgrade by itself made my pipe start to yellow. Embarrassed The cure for this is to rejet the carb, so I did that. Then I polished my pipe with Blue Buster.

By the way, the SuperTrapp weighs 10 pounds less than the stock pipe.

Another thing that helps is the K&N air filter. This filter has a much better seal at the intake flange. It also increases the higher speed power when the engine demands a lot more air. I observed the same thing when I put the K&N in my Miata.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650/S40 Acceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.