Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noob Handlebar mod (Read 12 times)
phasender
Ex Member

Noob Handlebar mod
11/18/06 at 11:06:06

Trying to do a handlebar mod to reduce the vibrations on my LS650. I bought 7lbs of small lead pellets, a tube of 100% silicone, and finally decided on the non-flame kuryakyn grips, which I haven't ordered yet. The handlebars are the standard U shaped handlebars, Buckhorns, I guess, not flat.

I was planning on  just pouring the lead into the handlbars and capping it off with some silicone last night, but when i took off the shiny plastic end cap of the grips, lo and behold, the handlebar was capped off! What's up with that? I'm torn on whether I should buy new handlebars or just try to drill through the cap. Is there anything in there I need to worry about?

Also, the grips are silver plastic on the ends, black plastic on the inside, look pretty standard When I get my kuryakyns, can I just saw those off? Since I'm going to replace the grips, do you think I should buy a new throttle sleeve too?

Winter's coming. Cat crap is a really good for anti-fog!

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Re: Noob Handlebar mod
Reply #1 - 11/18/06 at 11:14:41

There have been a few posts about this.  I dont know much about it, but I seem to recal somebody saying it really didnt do much?

Do a search for handlebar vibration and you can see some of them.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #2 - 11/18/06 at 20:20:13

CAT CRAP?!  Shocked  I don't have a cat so how about dog? Sad

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/19/06 at 08:15:27

LOL

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=608...

It's such a noob question, but I'm basically trying to figure out how to take off the grips or, alternately, to poke a hole in the metal cap at the end so I can pour the lead in. Get the Led in, so to speak.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 11/19/06 at 10:06:37

If you Savage is OK, it shouldn't have bar vibration, at least mine doesn't. I'd check all engine to frame bolts for correct torque/tightness, a front tire not balanced or out of balance from losing a weight or wear, front forks low on oil or not absorbing correctly.  Yes there are plugs and I believe weights in the ends of the buckhorn bars, to removed the grips, remove the plastic plug (it is friction fit unless someone has glued it back in) and then use a sharp knife to cut a line down the old grip rubber and peel it off on the left side. Do the same on the throttle except realize there is a plastic/nylon type sleeve under the grip but around the bar, you will have to remove the ridges on the sleeve and some of the material to get the Kurykan grip to fit OK, or at least I did when I put the ISO grips on mine. There should be lots of about the switch information on here.Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/19/06 at 13:18:27

Thanks, Max. I should have checked the handlebar before I ordered all that birdshot! Maybe I'll take up quail hunting.

The vibrations all come from the engine: the handlebar vibrates when I rev it in neutral. I'll take your advice and try to tighten the engine to frame bolts.

I tried to search the old threads, but I couldn't find an answer to this question: On my old bike, the rubber cushions that connected the handlebar brackets to the steering stem were about 1 inch wide, which I assume reduces handlebar vibrations a lot. The ones on my Savage are around 1-2mm. I searched online for replacements. Can I just take a polyurethane bushing kit for a Harley and use it to replace the barely existent rubber cushions on my savage?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 11/20/06 at 02:45:03

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I tried to search the old threads, but I couldn't find an answer to this question: On my old bike, the rubber cushions that connected the handlebar brackets to the steering stem were about 1 inch wide, which I assume reduces handlebar vibrations a lot. The ones on my Savage are around 1-2mm. I searched online for replacements. Can I just take a polyurethane bushing kit for a Harley and use it to replace the barely existent rubber cushions on my savage?

The OEM installation of the risers have 2 off 1" dia. rubber bushings. One on top and one on the bottom of the upper triple tree , covered by two large washers.
Check the diagram of ronayers.com
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/steering_stem/steering_stem.cfm?man=su...
The tapered portion of item #12 and #11 is rubber

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/20/06 at 09:30:18

So if I purchase a harley bushing kit, can I replace cushions #11 and #12 with the new bushings? Can I add them on top? Will the bolts, etc. fit?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #8 - 11/21/06 at 03:59:40

So if I purchase a harley bushing kit, can I replace cushions #11 and #12 with the new bushings? Can I add them on top? Will the bolts, etc. fit?

Sorry, can't help you with the HD kit, I'm not familiar with that.

The OEM installation dampens the vibration enough IMOO.

I used Intruder risers ( 2"higher) and a bar of 1"dia to my liking.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/21/06 at 11:44:10

all u need is kuryakyn grips.

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/25/06 at 14:56:33

I thought all you needed was love?

I installed the kuryakyn's yesterday. Took me an hour to cut/sand down the throttle sleeve, and when I finally put the throttle sleeve on, I didn't get it all the way on and I ended up with a 1/2" gap between the grip and the switch box.

Overall, they're great! They cut out a lot of the vibrations, though the high frequency vibrations still come through a bit. And, I feel like I get a better grip and better control than with the stock grips. I think that I'll buy a pair of stilleto ends, as bar end weights, keep wearing my gel palm gloves and call it good enough.

The only major complaint I have with them is that I can't use my velcro hand warmers with them. Oh well.

It looks like I was confused about the handlebar/stem cushions. Unless I want to shell out $500, there's no real way to quiet the handlebar.

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
all u need is kuryakyn grips.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #11 - 11/26/06 at 05:12:51

I installed the kuryakyn's yesterday. Took me an hour to cut/sand down the throttle sleeve, and when I finally put the throttle sleeve on, I didn't get it all the way on and I ended up with a 1/2" gap between the grip and the switch box.

Move the switchbox towards the grip.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noob Handlebar mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.