Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Extended Gear Shifter (Read 5 times)
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Extended Gear Shifter
10/30/06 at 23:15:54

Picked up my '06 last Sat. Been looking a while. First bike since '78. Much better than my Honda 500T was.  My bike had 76 miles on it. Bought by a lady in Feb. Had windshield, crash bars, and saddlebags. Got her for $2900. First commuter trip today and have already doubled the miles. Only problem is my size 13.5 foot is tight working the shifter. Thought about getting another shift lever and having about 1" to 1 1/2 " added right at the end. Would make it longer and move the peg higher. Any thoughts and suggestions from the old timers?? Love the forum and have just about read it all. Haven't seen anything along this line. Sorry about being long winded!!! Cheesy

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Extended Gear Shifter
Reply #1 - 10/31/06 at 00:28:44

I'd say a piece of pipe with inside diameter to fit snugly over end of stock shifter would work well, then just cut to desired length ... if you are afraid it might loosen and slip off, then drill a little hole near the base of the pipe and install a set screw and tighten!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tim_C
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/31/06 at 05:09:40

There should be a link for homemade and store-bought forward controls if you use the search function..Ed L. made several sets that look great and you could adjust dimensions to accomadate them big honkin' feet...welcome aboard!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 10/31/06 at 07:14:39

Hey Grampa, maybe I can help you out. I've a shifter pedal that been extended by three inches. Had it on the bike for over a year till I made the forward controls. Never got it chromed but a rattlecan spray paint job would clean it up nicely. PM me if you're interested in it. Have the same problem with flipper feet and this was the easiest way to take care of the problem. Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 10/31/06 at 09:46:27

If you look to replace your footpegs you might find that there are plenty that are less chunky than stock, and that might give your foot a little more room for comfort.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/31/06 at 10:55:17

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I'd say a piece of pipe with inside diameter to fit snugly over end of stock shifter would work well, then just cut to desired length ... if you are afraid it might loosen and slip off, then drill a little hole near the base of the pipe and install a set screw and tighten!

When I made some forward controls with Torque we did the same thing except we welded it.  You can also order some extended shift rod somewhere (hidden try a search) but I heard it took like 2 months and thats a long time.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 10/31/06 at 13:34:04

Isn't the stock shift rod adjustable?  I thought you could extend it and pick up the shifter some to accomodate "flippers".   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 10/31/06 at 13:42:49

Okay, I just went out and looked.  I think you could take the gear shifter shaft mount (where the shift rod connects to the shifter rod) off and rotate it forward about 30 degrees.  This would buy you about 1.5 inches at the shifter.  I'm not sure about the rod to shift lever angle tho...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:36:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Extended Gear Shifter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.