lancer; carb questions (Read 26 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

lancer; carb questions
10/29/06 at 07:14:30

i'm interested in ditching this d@mned cv carb, i searched for a photo and/or tech article on your amal carb conversion, and didn't exactly find what i was looking for. appearantly you've run out of amals? the amals had a finicky reputation from years ago, similar to bing carbs reputation, have they improved? or are they simply better than the cv? the next thing i noted, is that your now using the vm36 mikuni, is that the one everybody refers to as the "flat slide"? i've also noticed that harleys have had a mikuni replacement for years, in a 40mm. my objective is to keep the airbox stock appearance, including filter if i can.
 so i guess my questions are;

is the stock cv up-rated to 40mm when a conventional 36mm or 38mm would do the same job?

is there a round slide or flat slide mikuni that will drop in?

is there a set of dimensional drawings/measurements  for the cv somewhere?

do you have a link w/ photos to your amal carb mod?

is the link in your signature your website/buisness?

thanks for your efforts with this bike, and sharing your time and knowledge with this board

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: lancer; carb questions
Reply #1 - 10/30/06 at 07:46:47

Lot's of questions on this ... where to begin.

I have modified the stock carb, setup Edelbrocks,  the Amals last year, and now use the Mikuni VM carburetor which is the best bang for the buck for the Savage that you will find anywhere.
The VM carburetor is the most used performance carburetor in the world, and has been for at least 3 decades.  It is a basic roundslide design, very simple and dependable, parts are everywhere and cheap, and it works.

The 36mm VM is the carb I use for the Savage Carb Kit.
Over time the kit progressed from just a carb, flange and cable to the most complete carb kit for a Savage that anyone makes.
The throttle cables are custom made by Barnett to my specifications to fit the Savage throttle and this carburetor.  There are cable for Mikuni, Amal and Edelbrock carburetors, in both the old 80's model design and the '95 and after models design throttle.    We even have our own part numbers in the Barnett system.  I spent months with the Barnett rep getting this done.

The carb kit today contains:

-prejetted 36mm VM carburetor,  Dial-a-Jet installed, UFO (Ultimate Flow Optimizer) installed
-Barnett throttle cable,custom made for your model Savage
-new rubber flange with stainless steel hex-head bolts
-Sudco/Mikuni Tuning Manual
-extra main and pilot jets
-Iridium spark plug
-mini carb tool

Also, any tech help that I can provide to you for as long as needed.

I am a life member of the Savage community so I am not going anywhere.  My son gave me my Savage for Father's Day 2000, so it will never be sold..

Where was I?   ???  ...   ...    oh yeh ...

I have built this kit to be as close to a drop-in as you can get.
The cables are an exact fit.
The flange is an exact fit.
The carb fits the flange.
The stock air box rubber tube may not be an exact fit to the carb, but is close and should  not be difficult at all to hook up.  I have not had any serious issues with this.
I install a vacuum port for the fuel tank valve hookup.

This is the link to the carb kit on ebay.  
If you wish to order the carb kit, I offer a small discount to members of the forum.  By dealing directly with each other I save some $$ by not having to pay additional ebay fees, and I pass that along to you.
It can be done with Paypal, credit card or Money Order.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=ST...

I am not able to provide more pictures of the kit components right now since we are traveling & are away from home.
I will be checking this forum periodically so if you have other questions just write them out and I will get to them  as I am able.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: lancer; carb questions
Reply #2 - 10/31/06 at 05:46:36

thanks alot! very informative answers.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:33:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lancer; carb questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.