Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm a 5 gallon man (Read 23 times)
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Re: I'm a 5 gallon man
Reply #15 - 10/03/06 at 08:17:39

Nice Job - to both Mick & Paladin.

If you started with a new tank, it seems to me that you could tour with a tank of beer instead of gas.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 10/03/06 at 16:15:17

Man, I hope your in the market for new seat if you plan to drain those tanks non stop

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #17 - 10/03/06 at 16:58:12

There is tenatively scheduled a G.E.E.I.A. reunion in Oklahoma City sometime next year.  I would like to attend, riding there on the Savage.  Ideally taking many days.

I'm looking at a route from L.A. to Quartzsite on the superslabs, removing the helmet and cruising the rest of the way at 45-50 mph on secondary roads.  Which involves a run from Flagstaff, AZ to Farmington, NM.  275 miles, almost all of it across Indian Reservations.  Possibily at night.   While there are gas stations listed in some of the reservation towns I would be a LOT more comfortable if I could do the run without worrying about running out of gas 100 miles from assured gasoline availability.  Not being able to run 250+ miles on a single tank puts a serious crimp in trip planning.

The 2.25 TourTank is 8 inches diameter, 12 inches long.  The 3.5 is also 8 inches diameter, 16 inches long.  The 4.5 is in between in length at 14 inches, but a fat 10 inches diameter and extends too far back unless you remove the sissybar and pillion and make a luggage rack that sits more forward than stock.

Mick's 2.25 looks good on the Savage.  It is not overpowering large.  Plenty of clearance to open the LeatherLykes even if I lose the stock taillight and mount the tank directly to the sissybar, about 3-4 inches lower than Mick's.

Looks like I have my Christmas present picked out.

WWW   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #18 - 10/03/06 at 17:55:37

Smooth Setup. Is that a luggage rack supporting the tank? Is this a custom tank or purchased? Did you custom the piping and mounting straps? Am I asking to much here? Again it looks great. You'll be able to ride those long group rides that I pass up because of limited capacity.
Paladin, That sounds like a terrific ride. Tripping at night is something I want to do ... Maybe in the spring.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/03/06 at 21:26:16

Yes Fido the tour tank you can find at tour tank.com, it comes with the two metal bands,it's an extra $40 for all the plumbing,it is on a lugage rack,I forgot where I got that,some one on the site knows. I had to drill a hole in the rack actually I had it done in a machine shop $15
the hole is inch and a quarter,it's for the gas outlet,I found out later you can ask when you order to have the outlet any where you want ,I should have had it on the left side so it wouldn't hinder the back light,no biggy,just figure out that before you order,the total rig was less than $200. the lugage rack was about $80.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 10/03/06 at 21:45:50

sjcr.   i'm a 5 gallon man myself, but thumper still holds 2.5 gallons of fuel.  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #21 - 10/05/06 at 13:11:33

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
There is tenatively scheduled a G.E.E.I.A. reunion in Oklahoma City sometime next year.  I would like to attend, riding there on the Savage.  Ideally taking many days.

I'm looking at a route from L.A. to Quartzsite on the superslabs, removing the helmet and cruising the rest of the way at 45-50 mph on secondary roads.  Which involves a run from Flagstaff, AZ to Farmington, NM.  275 miles, almost all of it across Indian Reservations.  Possibily at night.   While there are gas stations listed in some of the reservation towns I would be a LOT more comfortable if I could do the run without worrying about running out of gas 100 miles from assured gasoline availability.  Not being able to run 250+ miles on a single tank puts a serious crimp in trip planning.

When you head this way let me know we might meet up somewhere.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #22 - 10/09/06 at 20:12:02

Are you guys afraid of blowing up in the event of a crash?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #23 - 10/10/06 at 00:28:38

No different than the gasoline between the knees.  No different than the Pinto I used to drive.

Nothing in life is completely safe.  If I were worried about crashing I'd still be driving the LTD.  (There is a reason drunks like to drive old full size Detroit Iron.)

The very small risk of crashing is not worth giving up motorcycling.  The advantage of the tour tank is worth the extremely small risk of spillage/fire in the event of a crash -- not to mention in any crash that takes out the fuel tanks I'll be separated from the bike by a considerable margin, and likely not caring.

I like to ride in the desert at night -- which means the gas stations are few and far between and not always open.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #24 - 10/10/06 at 16:14:35

isnt the stock tank double wall ??thought ntsb made that requirement , not sure when..thinks thats why enduro type bikes with plastic tanks arent street legal..
had a pinto at one time myself was a wagon with mirror film on the windows,baby blue was a great spare bed room for the wh..e dog i was back then..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/11/06 at 13:43:38

Paladin - about your riding through the res. @ night. I know you meet deer on a lot of wooded areas (been through enough when lived in MI) but now in High Desert part of Western CO near deserts in UT am aware lot of life out on roads in dark in deserts on the roads out there - antelope, coyotes & large rabbits which will bring you off a bike. the prairie dogs you should hopefully just bounce over (ugh). then there is the open range cattle. understand why you want to run @ night due to cooler conditions, but if you do run @ night take it careful - certainly don't think the standard Savage lights are up to it.

like the looks of it Mick a lot. how's it ride with about 25 lbs extra weight so high up behind the  back wheel? Does it make the front end unduly light or effect the  c. of g. unduly?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #26 - 10/11/06 at 19:03:54

cant be any worse than haulin the ol lady!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:23:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm a 5 gallon man

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.