Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winter Gear & Tire Pressure (Read 2 times)
BlindJoeDeath
Ex Member

Winter Gear & Tire Pressure
10/10/06 at 11:05:47

???

What type of gear is best for winter riding.
I have a leather jacket, but what else might I be missing
once the temperature drops.
I have been riding since may and want this as a year round
means. Basically the best way to get around this city is on bike.

Also is there anyting I need to do\ in regards to the engine to have it prepared for the cold months.

One more, and i will thank y'all very much.
I have an issue with what the air pressure in the tires should be.
the manual says 28psi front and 32 psi back.
but the labeling on the tires themselves say 41psi max.
whats the best/safest?

here's my bike info:
1996 savage
2200 miles
(bought it used with only 1700miles for 1K$)

thanks everyone, this forum f@#*ing rules!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Winter Gear & Tire Pressure
Reply #1 - 10/10/06 at 11:43:22

I stick pretty close to 28/32 psi - what to wear I guess depends on where and how cold - I get by with long johns , flanel shirt, blue jeans, rain suit paints, good gloves, and the zip in liner on the mesh jacket for the coldest days here - but I'm thinking I'm a little farther south Smiley

IP Logged
BlindJoeDeath
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/10/06 at 12:46:13

thanks reelthing.
forgot to mention i am in new york, winter can get bone cold.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #3 - 10/10/06 at 12:57:08

I live in Wisconsin.  I do lots of layers of wool.  No cotton on cold days.  I got a new pair of gloves this year w/ a pocket for one of those chemical heater things.  I'm excited to try it.  A neck gater is helpful w/ the wind.  I'm sure you will experiment and find what works best for you.  Sometimes I put my yellow rain jacket over my leather coat for more wind protection and visibility.  I learned this from bicycle riding that as long as your core is warm, your hands stay warm.  I only worry about the ice in the winter.

The tire pressure question.  I got Mezlers and the tire pressure on the tire reads 41 or 42.  Again, I played w/ it.  I like both tires at 35 psi.  I have been checking my tire pressure more as it has gotten colder and warmed up and gotten colder  a few times already.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 10/10/06 at 12:57:42

I don't know what speeds you are going to be riding at, but the upright cruiser riding position with no fairing does not lend itself well to cold weather riding. For that reason (among others) I now commute on a Concours

With that said, for cold weather, I like my leather jacket with liner, and overpants over and UnderArmor under my normal clothing. Heated gloves (Gerbing) are great and have me considering a heated jacket for this winter. I wear the same boots and socks (Smartwool) year round. I wear a full face helmet, and just close up the vents for below freezing. For long rides I did wear a polypropylene head liner a couple of times last year, but I'm not sure I really needed it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/10/06 at 13:49:02

I'm only slightly North of Reelthing so mine is pretty similar.  I break out the Thinsulate boots and gloves and I swap between the mesh jacket or one of my other two jackets.  Occasionally I'll use a balaclava but usually just a face mask.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/10/06 at 18:50:06

I stayed warm cheap last 2 winters with these. Got the black ones. About $60 at Walmart. http://www.dickies.com/wc2/product.asp?cat=101&type=D&styd=2439BD&pdscr=2439+...
Not too cool looking but I never got cold. Wool socks, glove liners & baclava are good too.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/10/06 at 18:53:26

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I stayed warm cheap last 2 winters with these. Got the black ones. About $60 at Walmart. http://www.dickies.com/wc2/product.asp?cat=101&type=D&styd=2439BD&pdscr=2439+...
Not too cool looking but I never got cold. Wool socks, glove liners & baclava are good too.

OK, link doesn't work 'cause it saw a word it didn't like. A company called D!ckies or, d1ckies makes insulated coveralls.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 10/10/06 at 19:39:09

I live in the deep south and it never really gets cold enough for anything more than long johns, a leather jack with liner and leather gloves with wool inserts. These conditions last about 3 weeks. You may have to park your bike for the most bitter weeks.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #9 - 10/11/06 at 03:48:42

Look for a really good Snowmobile Suit and associated gear.  If you use it for several months cold weather riding, it will be worth it.  Also, anything heated.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 10/11/06 at 19:22:50

are you riding thru the winter or goin to store the bike ??if you store er there are proceedures to follow for the COLD temps..here on the west slope of colorado i rde year round long as theres no ice...no spiked/studded tires for my scoot...wind chill is a concern
even with my beard(no helmet state/ rider) face  gets the coldest on those frosty mornings on the way to work
got one of those hoodie full face mask thingies and goggles  small sport sheid(need to get taller) all help..
long johns top and bottoms leather jacket and chaps as needed..oh yea GOOD gloves...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:27:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter Gear & Tire Pressure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.