Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shifting Problems and a Solution (Read 5 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Shifting Problems and a Solution
09/22/06 at 13:21:47

Well everybody, I learned something totally new today. Finally got the results of the echo cardiogram today and everything is fine (big sigh of relief) so to celibrate I took off for a few hours on the bike. Wouldn't you know it my beastie didn't like dropping into first gear. Didn't let that ruin the day, I just started in second a few times and kept on riding. Got home, took a long look and found that the shaft that the shifter rotates on must of picked up some dirt which jambed up the linkage. A little emery paper and some grease took care of the problem but seems that a grease fitting is the way to go to keep this from happening again. This was the classic stomp on the shifter as hard as you can but it still won't get into first gear. Any thoughts about installing a grease fitting, beats dumping oil on it and the grease will keep the dirt out. I'm just mentioning this cause there have been a fair amount of posts about how hard it is sometimes to downshift a Savage into first gear.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Re: Shifting Problems and a Solution
Reply #1 - 09/22/06 at 17:08:02

Don't stomp! Instead, rock the bike back and forth a bit so it will slip in. My wife bent her shift rod by stomping on the lever. Glad you are fine though! Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/22/06 at 17:26:19

i have trouble with 1st sometimes... let the clutch out , rock the bike ,reengage the clutch,shift..sometimes i have to be in second for this to work

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/22/06 at 18:04:18

Good to hear you got good news Grin

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 09/22/06 at 18:54:43

Hey Ed glad to hear(read) your back on road - wouldn't be a big deal to drill, tap, and screw in a zert but seems to me it would be pretty big, a much small hole that would fit a small allen head stainless bolt might give you direct access to the shaft and you can get a 3 inch needle with a zert on the end that fits in the grease gun and would let you pump grease.

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #5 - 09/24/06 at 03:16:18

When I have that problem I just activate the clutch ones or twice, that does it for me !

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 09/24/06 at 11:53:41

Think the problem is that I live on a dirt/sand road and the grit from the road worked down the shaft causing the linkage to bind. Just got back from a quick 30 mile ride around the block and had no problems with down shifting into first. Grin Just another spot to check and oil on a regular basis.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:34:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting Problems and a Solution

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.