Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
making highway bars ? (Read 104 times)
billy
Ex Member

making highway bars ?
09/07/06 at 21:59:53

After reading the post about making your own forward controls I cot to wondering, does anybody have any ideas about making your own highway bars. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. thanks
                                                    Billy      

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: making highway bars ?
Reply #1 - 09/08/06 at 04:46:35

I made some. Not using them now as I got some forward controls from Ed_L (which BTW still are awsome). I'll try to find a pic and post. Pretty easy to fabricate.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 09/08/06 at 06:25:06

i'm considering that right now. i have several ideas, eventually one of them will settle in and i'll build it.

one idea is a simple cross bar, with standard, cheap, readily available harley pegs hanging on the ends, u-bolts doing the clamping to the down tubes in a fashion that allows height adjustment of the bar/pegs.

another idea is to mock the forward control brackets, and attatch extensions outward that the highway pegs would attach to, similar to the current factory set up on harley fxs.

thirdly, i'm considering a used suzuki crash bar and modifying it to suit my desire.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Trouble
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/06 at 06:58:35

I bought 2001 Savage that has the homemade highway bars. They look OK and are held on by U bolts like Azjay described. You still have to be careful that your heel doesn't hit the brake Shocked

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/08/06 at 08:56:16

Trouble wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I bought 2001 Savage that has the homemade highway bars. They look OK and are held on by U bolts like Azjay described. You still have to be careful that your heel doesn't hit the brake Shocked

my oem engine guard is held on by u bolts also

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #5 - 09/12/06 at 12:36:29

I made a foreward control kit yself..... and I wonder why I didnt do it the first day I had the Savage..... The ride is much better now  Grin

If you have not surfed Jons site yet, you owe yourself to do it, theres a lot of good stuff there ! Amongst other a "how to" for highway pegs that I was thinking of doing !
http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/HiWay_Pegs/hiway_pegs.html

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 09/12/06 at 17:41:56

Can you weld and/or bend pipe?

If so, I may have some ideas.

V

IP Logged
billy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/12/06 at 21:41:20

Thanks for all ther replies. I have gotten quite a few ideas. Vroom1776 please by all means share. I no longer have a welder, it went with the 'x'. I do have a friend that has access to a machine shop. He has said that he would help out if I did some drawings.  So any and all ideas will be a blessing. once again thanks for the help.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 09/13/06 at 08:33:22

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Can you weld and/or bend pipe?

If so, I may have some ideas.

V

absolutely! plus we have a full size industrial mill and an industrial 48" metal lathe, lets hear your thoughts!

DangMan; nice brackets, i like the hot rod hole drillin' Smiley

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 09/13/06 at 12:15:00

The biggest trick, IMO, is to make something you like the looks of, is comfy, and doesn't get in the way of the header pipe or foot controls.

That being said... I have a couple of ideas...

1) a heart shaped highway bar would require welding AND bending, but should easily attach to  where the downtube splits, but I htink it would have to go BEHIND the header.

2) Get some short apehangers, weld to downtube (must be a really good weld).  Done.  Make sure they don't interfere with turning the bike, though.

3)  the top "tubes" that hold the footpegs on could be used to bolt or clamp bottoms of HWbars to, then, you could go up to the neck and weld there.  Would be pretty interesting...

4) same as above, but w/ forward controls.  Would give you lots of leg room.

I suggest staring at the bike w/ a beer and a cigarette.  Keep staring.  Any good ideas yet?

I also suggest using 1" OD steel as many footpeg clamps will work.

I also also suggest making amock up first to make sure everything will fit, and not hit the fender or tire.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas.

Good luck!

V

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 09/14/06 at 12:44:18

thanks, yep, considered using old handlebars too Grin

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 09/14/06 at 16:24:17

I've been looking at shopping carts as a source of chromed, bent pipe to make custom engine guards out of  Grin. Bet you could make a real nice luggage rack out of one also. A torch and hacksaw will go a long way with a little imagination. Still need to liberate the raw materials.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 09/14/06 at 16:41:38

Ed,

That is a P I M P PIMP idea!

V

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #13 - 09/14/06 at 21:57:42

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I've been looking at shopping carts as a source of chromed, bent pipe to make custom engine guards out of  Grin. Bet you could make a real nice luggage rack out of one also. A torch and hacksaw will go a long way with a little imagination. Still need to liberate the raw materials.

LOL that would be a killer idea, remember to post pictures of before/after cart  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #14 - 09/23/06 at 06:45:22

after spending some study time with a tape measure and a couple beers on the projcet at hand, i settled on the suzuki engine protector. i was at the stealership the other day ordering o-rings for rocker covers(appearantly at $2 @ they're too expensive to keep on the shelf Angry) when i noticed it hanging on the wall for $85, i put a tape measure to it, and decided i was intending to build one with the same demensions, and mine wouldn't be chromed. we then went the HD shop and ordered a set of clamp-on ISO highway pegs from V-TWIN for $40, they'll be here next week. she's talking about saddle bags next Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › making highway bars ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.