Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paint it Black!  Exhaust, how to? (Read 5 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Paint it Black!  Exhaust, how to?
09/22/06 at 12:26:13

My muffler is getting kind of rusty, it´s slowly losing it´s chrome finish and starting to get little rust specks everywhere.

The original pipe is ok but that ugly silencer has to be somehow fixed.

I was looking at "hot" paints and BBQ paint in a can, what works best?  How to do it?  Fine sand it first? How many coats? Must I cure (bake) it too?

Tips anyone?

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Paint it Black!  Exhaust, how to?
Reply #1 - 09/22/06 at 13:59:57

allright, keep in mind w/ everything I type later, that mine is a rat...

yeah, high temp BBQ paint works fine.  On my ride, I spray it on and ride. end of story.

on yours... assuming you wnat it to loke "nice"...

scuff up that pipe good, but maybe don't use too large a grit... otherwise you will prolly' be able to see the scuff marks.   Clean with a lint free rag.   Apply a nice smooth coat of flat black BBQ paint (there aren't tooooo many colors).  let the bike run for 15 minutes.  apply a second coat.  let run 15 min.  apply 3rd coat.  let run for 15 min.  done.  You can also use your oven at max temp, I believe.

Now, on preparing the paint...

shake the hell out of the can.  Spray a bunch in the air.  Shake it some more.  Spray again.  shake.  now take it to the sink and run it under hot water.  shake and spray some more.  keep doing this until the can stays warm whiel you spray it into the air.  This gaurantees that it is coming out nice and evenly, no globs...

applying the paint:

if you go w/ flat black, you want to apply it so that you are just barely overlapping what you just applied, maybe 1/4" or so.  If you go w/ a not flat color (they are available, go to the auto parts store and look for engine paint), do the same bit to get the paint ready, but when yoyu apply it, cover about 1/2 of what you just sprayed.  w/ a flat color, youwant to hold the nozzle closer than if it is not a flat color.... maybe 6" vs 12-15".  You will also want to cover up other parts of the bike... and work in a "dust free area."  a well swept room w/ temporary shower curtains will work.  May not be necessary for the muffler, but on the tins, I would recomend it...  Also, if you get globs, wipe tehm off w/ a clean rag right away.  If you get soem on parts you don't want to get paiunt on, gas will take spray paint off pretty easily.

have fun and good luck.

V

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 09/22/06 at 15:24:18

Vroom being the king of flat black, didn't leave much for the rest of us to add. However, it would probably be a heck of alot less trouble to just take the pipe off and paint it and bake it than to try and do it all without getting it on everything else. Covering and uncovering everytime you put on another coat will get to be a pain in the @ss by the third or fourth time.

WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/06 at 19:35:00

Sound like it's time for a sportster muffler. It won't cost much more than the paint.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 09/23/06 at 11:59:59

Allright, thanks for the 101 Vroom!

I think i´ll take it off and sand, coat it black and bake it (in my oven) a couple of times when i get a chance next month.

Sure, that sportster muffler sounds pretty good too but right now I kinda wanted to paint it black (just the silencer, not the pipe) and see how it looks. How much does one run for $ anyway? and where?

Well, here is the aftermarket silencer (of unknown brand and origin) that came w/my bike when I bought it used from a car yard:  http://www.ricardoponce.fotopic.net/p31170582.html  about 4 months ago when it just started to rust (from the right); Today it´s ALL beautiful rust brown.

I´ll be sure to post pics when it´s done.

Thanks guys.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 09/25/06 at 08:30:26

Dude, very important that I forgot!!!!  Embarrassed

When actually spraying...

steady movements, up one side, and quickly, but steadily, reverse directions overlapping the paint as described above.  Do not stop spraying in the middle or end, otherwise you will end up w/ blobs of paint!  Start spraying b4 you point the nozzle at tyhe target, and steadily, smoothly apply the paint

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 09/25/06 at 12:25:29

Get yourself some Duplicolor 1200 degree paint from Advance Auto parts. It's great paint. The part number is DH1602. Sand the chrome and clean it with solvent. I use lacquer thinner. Heat the exhaust with a propane torch until the applied paint almost smokes when applied. Let cool and buff with a clean cloth. I do restorations and this is what I do.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 09/25/06 at 12:26:48

Oh, one more thing - if the exhaust is really rusty, have it sandblasted before painting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:30:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint it Black!  Exhaust, how to?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.