flywest
YaBB Newbies

The West is Best
Frederiksted St.
Croix.

St.Croix US Virgin Islands
Hot fast idle
09/23/06 at 13:13:07

??? New S40 2000+ miles, when the engine is cold the idle is fine. After runing about 5 miles the idle is high ( engine hot ).
After work cold egine the idle is ok,5 miles later idle is fast again. how do i fix this?

IP Logged
Copperhead
YaBB Newbies

When all else fails,
get the hammer!

Blue Springs, Missouri
Re: Hot fast idle
Reply #1 - 09/23/06 at 16:43:29

I've noticed the same thing on my '05. It's most likely due to thinning oil and increased clearances in the engine at operating temperatures that allows the idle speed to increase. I have a little over 3300 miles on mine now and the difference between cold and hot idle speed is not as noticeable as earlier. I adjust my idle speed with the engine hot and though it is lower when cold, it is not low enough to die or stall. Try setting your hot idle as low as possible and see what happens after a cold start. I do think your problem will improve somewhat with more miles.

Black '05 S40, Suzi gel seat, NC Dakota shield, modified Jardine, Dynajet kit, K&N drop in, W&M bags, Suzi eng. guard w/pegs
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #2 - 09/24/06 at 08:20:37

Yes, I have the same thing on my 96 12000 + miles. Faster idle after about 5 miles. I keep trying to adjust it down a bit, but then if I get it too slow, the next morning it wants to die at signals in first 5 miles. Need some kind of fast idle lever I can turn off after its warm.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 09/24/06 at 22:10:07

Uhmn! That would be the choke Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 09/24/06 at 22:19:07

Well actually it is a cold start enrichment device. A simple passage that goes around the throttle plates picking up lots of fuel along the way. It adds fuel and air for cold starting and running.  Pulling the knob out opens the passage as far as it will go, my 96 has a detent or 2 so I can slow & lean it down once it starts. That is why you do not want open the throttle on a cold start as you defeat the purpose of the added fuel in the bypass, still works but not near as well/much. It will run warm with the knob out but will cut fuel mileage by about 10 miles per tank if left on for 10 miles or so. I write from experience.  Get to town and wonder why the idle is so fast and there isn't much compression brake, reach down and duh!!, the knob is still in the last detent. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
flywest
YaBB Newbies

The West is Best
Frederiksted St.
Croix.

St.Croix US Virgin Islands
Reply #5 - 09/25/06 at 03:17:03

???Hi  I live in St. Croix in the Virgin Islands.  The ambient temperature is about 85.  I do not use the choke for starting.   I check the choke and it is all the way in.  I'm getting about 51 to 52 mpg.  After adjusting the fast idle (after a hot engine) down to a reasonable idle, on a cold start the idle is too low and the engine wants to stop.  I have no trouble starting this bike.  There must be more to this problem than idle adjustment.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 09/25/06 at 03:40:54

I put KLX's "choke" on give her a little squirt of the accelerator pump and she fires after 3-4 turns.
Turn "choke" off after about 20-30 seconds, idle settles to 1100rpm and stays there, I think because tickover is a bit rich.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/25/06 at 06:49:51

idle spec is 1000 -1200 rpm i try to keep my06 at 1100
but at times  the tach tells me it does change..nature of a cv carb???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 09/25/06 at 10:00:31

So just pull it out to the fist click or detent and it will idle up until it is totally warmed up or you  are moving and don't need it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:27:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot fast idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.