Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I had two scarey moments today... (Read 14 times)
olscout99
Ex Member

Re: I had two scarey moments today...
Reply #15 - 06/18/06 at 10:46:01

Just to add a little to Steelwolf's 'naked left' post.....just a couple days ago here, a guy riding a new Harley got killed waiting to make a left from a busy highway onto a county road at a traffic signal. He did absolutely nothing wrong, but the 20 year old kid who was 'tired' and 'might have fallen asleep' at 4:30PM driving the Suburban who rear ended him at 55 mph did. I got to read the police report, and it talked about how the guy got pushed across the intersection on the bike with his arms waving in the air, til he got shoved under another SUV waiting across the intersection.....pretty bone chilling if you ride and can imagine yourself in that spot  :'(

Steelwolf's post made me think....the next road from there is a mile North, but it has a left turn lane (which to my thinking is a lot less chancy to have somebody rearend you at highway speeds than a traveling lane). A matter of a couple minutes detour could have saved this guy's life. Definitely something I'm going to consider from now on!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #16 - 06/18/06 at 11:17:32

That's another situation that can be a little scary, waiting to make a left turn on the highway with 70 mph traffic flying past, 3 feet from your right mirror. Or, just waiting for the light to turn green & a truck is coming up behind you quickly. I flicker my brake lights, keep it in first gear & scan the intersection for a way out in case the cager doesn't plan on stopping. One of my co-workers got his subcompact Nissan rearended by a Dodge Ram 1500 driver while waiting for a green light. The driver admitted to being alseep & walked away unharmed (but got sued) My friend woke up in the hospital with a badly screwed up spine. A dozen surgurys later he can limp around without a cane now at age 29. Well, to end this on a good note, hey! It's summer! Ride safe.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #17 - 06/18/06 at 14:55:27

Glad you're OK. Might I suggest a riding course or maybe some reading to get your mind in the right place for riding if you keep having scary moments.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #18 - 06/18/06 at 18:03:45

Glad you're ok mom. One problem I see is that you might not have been in first. You need to be sure you're in first before taking off on a hill like that.

As you're slowing for a stop downshift, downshift, downshift - until you have no more gears. Just down, down, down on the shift lever.

I also check my shifter (sometimes several times) to make sure I'm in first while waiting for a light or when stopped. Switch from holding the bike with the rear footbrake to holding it with the front brake if you have to. Jab the shifter down a time or two. Switch back to the footbrake before taking off.

You have other things to worry about on a hill. Balancing the bike and holding it with the footbrake is plenty to attend to. Make sure you're in first (preferably before you reach the stop).

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #19 - 06/18/06 at 19:14:24

Sue - glad you are ok.

My only scary moment thus far, was when a traffic light turned yellow and when I hit the brakes to stop - the rear wheel started going out to the left - so I let go of the brakes and just rode through on the yellow.  

I have brand new tires on now - not the 6 year old original ones, so hopefully that won't happen again.  Plus, each day I ride I get more and more practice.

Another thing I always try to do - is look for hazards on the route whenever I'm in the car.  Sometimes, I've spotted a bunch of gravel in an intersection, that normally isn't there and I think "Ok, won't take that road on the bike...".

Oh, and I downshift to 1st gear before coming to any stop - since my bike is harder to put into 1st once I've stopped.  If I'm not sure - I push down to see if I'm all the way down, or pop up to see the "neutral light" and then shift down.  

I fell over on a bike during my MSC course, and the instructor told me it looked like the bike was in 2nd gear as I took off from a stop.  I was sure I had shifted to 1st - but when I took off, the bike stalled and I just fell over - couldn't stop from falling.  Anyway, haven't done that since.

Take care!

Diane S

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/18/06 at 20:34:33

Mornhm: I took private lessons with a woman that has been teaching the motorcycle saftey course for 20 yrs. and had to take the normal road test but did totally fine.

We did all the exercises that those who take the course do.  only thing is it was all in a flat parking lot like when you take the course.

This was the scariest moment in l30 miles. Overall I do very well on the bike.  The usual silly beginner stuff but I have excellant balance, and was a mountain biker for years.

I have spent time in the hilly neighboorhoods practicing just this manuever, yes i was not in first gear HUGE ERROR! I have now learned.

Diane: I do the same all the time, when I get to a light if im not sure what gear im in I shift down and down and see the netural and go one more down and it is more troublesome if you are stopped.

Its kinda like nursing school they teach you things, how to do things , but its quite different in the hospital setting doing the same things on real people that will be uncoorperative and fuss.  you have to apply basic skills and develop them for the real world.

besides my sore shoulder (injury and surgery 2 yrs ago, still have torn stuff  in there) that i aggravated picking up the bike in a hurry and my lower back that has been sore anyway more sore also from picking up the bike. nothing is gonna stop me from jumping on it and going!
(except rush hour traffic/rain if i can avoid it)  I have to spend more quiet neighboorhood time too with uphill start practice.

Thank you to all of you for your interest and wonderful suggestions and constructive ideas.

Sue

IP Logged
GA_Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/19/06 at 06:31:03

I'm glad you are ok...I know alot of people like to hold themselves on a hill with their rear brake, but personally, it has always meade me uncomfortable having a foot up especially if I'm making an imediate turn.  Instead I hold my front brale wir one or two fingers..just enough to prevent roll back and then use the friction zone to hold the bike too and prepare for the start.  Once you are in the friction zone you can actually relase the brake or hold it just hard enough till you get the bike mving via sheer torque. i usually release the brake once the engine and clutch are engaged enough to hold it.

Like so many others have said, things like this happen..shake it off and take the lesson away from the situation....we are all glad you are ok!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #22 - 06/19/06 at 06:55:29

Sue,

This is one gripe (OK just a wish) that I have with the MSF courses: they don't mention what to do when starting up on hills. Of course the first place I went after I took the course was a place that required me to make a sharp right hand turn up a hill. Granted it's a little hill - I live in Illinois Smiley but I remember thinking at the time, that this was something that should have been covered in the beginner's course. If I didn't have quite a bit of behind the wheel time in manual transmission cages I would have been in trouble right off the bat.

However, what I was referring to was a state of mind that some people seem to find themselves in that causes them to be constantly having "scary" or unpleasant moments. You've probably talked to them or read their posts. When I had three scary moments in a week, I got to thinking that it was a bad thing and did some reading (Proficient Motorcycling, More Proficient Motorcycling) and determined to take the experienced rider course this spring. I think these two things really improved my state of mind and how I looked at other vehicles and road situations. Haven't had a "scary" moment since. Yeah, people still pull out in front of me, yeah, sometimes I come up on intersections that are covered with spilled gravel or oil, or broken glass (the latest), things happen, but I'm already reacting before anything bad happens, so nothing does. I credit the books I've read, the ER course and a determination to keep the rubber side down. I'm thinking now that next I may take a couple of track days, I don't know that they'll help me think my way through street situations, but they might give me some additional skills.

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
We did all the exercises that those who take the course do.  only thing is it was all in a flat parking lot like when you take the course.

I have spent time in the hilly neighboorhoods practicing just this manuever, yes i was not in first gear HUGE ERROR! I have now learned.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #23 - 06/19/06 at 08:17:50

we are certainly glad your thrilling moments ended well. as you have observed, beginner errors, debby did the same thing, coming to a stop NOT in first gear. she only did it a couple of times, and has gotten past it, you will too. we all develop our habits that are comfortable for us; at a stop, i normally roll to it in 1st gear having down shifted with the down,down,down,down, no more down method, i dont even try to count gears or look for nuetral lites as it adds distraction to what you're already doing. while stopped, an anticipated short time (left turn) i'll put left foot down hold rear brake throttle ready to respond. a longer stop (traffic light) both feet down, left foot up double check 1st gear (push down,no lite check) left foot down, right foot up hold rear brake throttle ready, when the green lite appears i count 1,2,3 then look both ways before crossing, which allows any cagers running the light to blast through. on a hill, i typically hold with the rear brake, left foot down throttle ready. with more saddle time, you'll figure out what works for you, we intend to put debby through the experienced rider course after 3000 miles of saddle time, to see if she has developed any bad habits. road hazards can sometimes be seen, sometimes not, dont panic or overreact i think is the rule there, it sounds as though you did fine. more saddle time is the best school/cure Grin

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 06/19/06 at 08:44:15

Had some time to kill Saturday when we were out of town for a wedding so I figured I'd show the GF where I did the basic course last fall. When we got there, they were running an 'Advanced' course so I stopped and watched for a while. It was almost all Harleys other than one medium size Kawasaki (440-700 or so). I was pretty amazed at how often people put their feet down on the 'figure 8' and maneuvering courses, and how 'jerky' some of them were with their steering and how off on the speed they were trying to maneuver, either too slow or too fast. I guess I expected more from people that had been riding for 3,000 miles or so, but then again if all the riding had been in a straight line.... I need to find a big ol parking lot and practice that stuff I learned in the BRC so I don't lose it!

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #25 - 06/19/06 at 13:29:47

Glad to hear you came out of it more or less without damage!

One of the scariest moments I've had was when someone had decided to replace the road with hard packed sand just past a turn.  Sand looked just like pavement...certainly didn't feel like it!  

Glad to hear your ok, and learning from mistakes!  Now if the rest of us could just manage to follow your example and learn from all the stoopid things we do ourselves. Wink (or at least that I do)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 06/19/06 at 15:37:53

olscout99 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
but then again if all the riding had been in a straight line.... I need to find a big ol parking lot and practice that stuff I learned in the BRC so I don't lose it!

Glad to hear everything ended up okay.

I will make one suggestion for all beginning riders: find a parking lot and  practice practice practice.  Then find a parking  lot with a good slope and practice practice practice.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 06/19/06 at 16:56:40

geez, you all rock!

Its like being home with my family here......

Thanks for caring...

sue

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 06/23/06 at 16:17:22

Have been working alot this week, got back in the saddle today, after picking up hubbys sportster.

He knew of a nice empty parking lot and we went and played around with manuevers and then went out and did around 30 miles together.

no scarey moments........

great ride.............

of course HIS toy is much louder and a bit faster than mine but the fastest im gonna need to go it 60 and my suzi can do that and more if i need her too.....

was fun

IP Logged
LS650RJM
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #29 - 06/23/06 at 19:21:44

Glad you are ok.

I had one the other day on a left turn as well. I still get nervous thinking about it. It was a simple slow left turn into a driveway. I did not see the gravel and as I started up the incline of the driveway my rear wheel slipped out from under me.

Fortunately, the only damage to the bike is the left peg. My jacket protected me but I still had a few scratches and tore my pants. I am still sore. I was about 50 miles from home heading to work and felt like an idiot.  Had to buy new pants to go to work.

Every time I think about it I get a bad feeling and wonder if I should be driving. Kids and all. I am very careful but realize that it could have been much worse and in the blink of an eye.

Guess I will continue to practice and try to be even more careful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:20:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I had two scarey moments today...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.