Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
picked up hubbys sportster today question (Read 3 times)
starmom
Ex Member

picked up hubbys sportster today question
06/23/06 at 16:02:19

yes I know  Harleys drool or whatever LOL

my husbands bike has on the fuel valve...

on/off/reserve.

Im telling him he should turn it to off when the bike is off/the manual says the same thing.

he seems to think the guy at the stealership told him he only needed to do that when he is storing it for the winter.

I remember that debbys husband rides a harley maybe others do or have.

anyone know the real answer to this question...

I appreciate it.......we just had this conversation and the dealership is now closed for the day.

Thanks

Sue

b.t.w. it was so much for now that i have a riding buddy we went out together, it was really alot of fun to share the road with my hubby and best buddy!

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Re: picked up hubbys sportster today question
Reply #1 - 06/23/06 at 19:30:28

Sue:  Yes it has to be a lot more fun riding with a partner.  I'm the only biker in my immediate family - so so far, all my trips are solo - unless I let my oldest daughter on the back.  Yet at home, we have two ATVs, which we all enjoy riding around the property on.  That's a blast!!!  Grin

I have joined a local bike club - the Southern Cruisers, but haven't been out for any group rides yet.   Still pretty new to biking etc. and too busy with my job and family to get out as well.  

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 06/23/06 at 19:42:45

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
yes I know  Harleys drool or whatever LOL

my husbands bike has on the fuel valve...

on/off/reserve.

Im telling him he should turn it to off when the bike is off/the manual says the same thing.

he seems to think the guy at the stealership told him he only needed to do that when he is storing it for the winter.

I remember that debbys husband rides a harley maybe others do or have.

anyone know the real answer to this question...

My dad owns a Harley and I know a bunch of others that do as well, they all leave it in the ON position all the time.  They only turn it off when (A) They leave the bike somewhere like at a poker run, theft deterrant reasons, or (B) Storing it, but I'm in Az and we ride all year.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/23/06 at 19:57:43

me myself I've only worked on one just a little bit - a carb'd late 90's sportster - it's petc0ck it functioned like the savage in that it only lets gas out when there was vac - so assume'n it's a stock petc0ck leaving it on is like leaving it on for the savage.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 06/23/06 at 20:32:20

While not a Hd, my 250 Rebel has a similar petcock with no Prime position. This is because On = Prime. Would you leave your Savage on prime overnite? Shut it off, it takes 2 seconds and helps keep the petcock from becoming too gummed up or seized.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/23/06 at 21:37:42

Turn it to OFF if it is a mechanical unit. Leave it alone if it is vacuum operated.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 06/24/06 at 06:55:16

i have never turned a petc@ck off on any motorcycle (30+ years), except to run the fuel out of the carb for storage, with 1 exception; in the case of a tired two stroke dirt bike, to run the fuel out each time you dismounted, otherwise it would foul a sparkplug.
 i am excited for you and your hubby, riding together has been one of the greatest sparks for debby and i Wink, in our 22 years, that we have shared in quite a while.  congratulations to both of you!
 AND, harleys dont drool, they mark their spot Grin

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/24/06 at 18:41:57

I know they dont drool, I think they are very pretty and nice and loud!

Just too heavy for this inexperienced 44 y.o. to ride at this point.  I think growing up in the time frame I did the "easyrider" years, Harley was the goal.........have lots of T shirts etc....

Im glad for him, he is very happy about it! and he looks very cool on it too  Wink

but I look great on my 650 too!  and I know I can handle the size and weight of it for now and that to me is the most important thing.

Thanks for you answer on the petcock.  My teacher always taught me the FINE-C method like the msf courses teach.  fuel, ignition, neutral, engine, choke and when you shut down turn off the bike in neutral, turn off the key , turn off the fuel Every time.

even the manual for the sporster says you should.

when i got the 650 it puzzled me that there was no off for it...............

Riding together was fun!

Im sure at some point i will ride on his bike but im having too much fun riding my own at this moment!

"I am woman hear me roar"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 11:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › picked up hubbys sportster today question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.