Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fill up before needing reserve or not??? (Read 8 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Fill up before needing reserve or not???
06/16/06 at 16:06:48

I fill up every day that I take the bike to work, as it's @ 100 miles round trip.  So, I tend to fill up before the tank gets as low as needing to be switched to reserve.  Plus, I live in a rural area, where the gas stations are few and far beween.

Yet, I was wondering if there is any harm in running the bike often out of fuel, changing to the reserve and then filling up.  By doing that, I'd at least have to fill up less often.

Anyway, just wondering what most people here do - run into the reserve to fill up with more fuel, or just keep topping up and refuelling more often.

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Fill up before needing reserve or not???
Reply #1 - 06/16/06 at 16:18:43

As far as I know, it's not a big deal at all.  Running a fuel injector out of fuel can cause problems though.  We have carbs, not FI...

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/06 at 16:57:38

My bike seems to run better with a third tank or more.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 06/16/06 at 18:22:57

Diane- I think your filling it up at every 100 mile interval is smart, that is what I try to do each time the speedo flips.  If that coincided with your round trip, thats okay.  I seem to run into reserve at around 120 miles, and frankly it always seems to happen when I'm leaning into a turn..I don't like it so why suffer Cheesy.

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/06 at 19:02:18

Diane:  I always fill up at the 100 mile mark also...it is just easier for me to remember it that way...I do know the stealership told me to turn off the gas and run it out if I was going to park it for an extended period of time... 8)

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/16/06 at 20:30:05

speaking of gas,do you all run on regular unleaded?
any one recommend premium?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/16/06 at 20:30:07

divecop wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Diane:  I always fill up at the 100 mile mark also...it is just easier for me to remember it that way...I do know the stealership told me to turn off the gas and run it out if I was going to park it for an extended period of time... 8)

I was thinking there is no off, just prime, run & reserve on my 03, get the stealership to show you how to turn it off and then please tell me how!  Wink

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 06/16/06 at 23:17:52

my handbook says 87 octane(06 s 40) i switch between mid grade a nd prem. its only 2 galls b 4 reserve..
i get 50 mpg or less so switchin to res  round 100  anyways havent tested how many miles res wil get me guess 20 or less...." right turns on low tank ", Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
tfrawg75
2005 No Login

that's right  
I  do rock

Reply #8 - 06/17/06 at 01:30:50

I've went 23 miles on reserve which is good to know if u get stuck in the middle of nowhere when u switch to res.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/17/06 at 04:47:27

Quote:
Yet, I was wondering if there is any harm in running the bike often out of fuel, changing to the reserve and then filling up.  By doing that, I'd at least have to fill up less often.

No harm in using reserve regularly because that is why it is there.  You may want to consider one of these: http://www.tourtank.com/Customers.html However, if you use up reserve then after fill-up remember to switch to prime before you start the engine and then switch back to run after the engine is started.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 06/17/06 at 06:06:54

we fill debby's bike about every 100 miles or so, i hate to run out of gas, and at the end of the month, when you rode 500+ miles, you still burnt x# of gals of gas, regardless of wether you kept the tank half full or half empty. (is your cup half full or half empty?) only premium fuel for our bikes! they dont burn that much, and it cant hurt them, a load of weak fuel in this heat, will certainly lead to detonation and eventually engine demise. it is supposed to be 110* f.degrees tomorrow!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/17/06 at 06:55:19

2 gallons every l00 miles is also my rule of thumb at this point, using 87 as per the manuel.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/17/06 at 10:06:15

It's good to run on reserve every once in a while, even if your not low on gas, to prevent sediments building up in the bottom of your tank.  The on position of pet-thingy draws gas from about 2" up in the tank.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Re: Fill up before needing reserve or not??r
Reply #13 - 06/17/06 at 11:07:35

There is no OFF on your petthingy - what the dealer was refering to was to empty the carb bowl if you're going to let it sit a while - a while is not from sunday to next saturday - If your going to let it sit for a while - use the drain screw on the carb bowl and empty the bowl - as always, make sure you have adequate ventilation...If you're going to leave it for a long time (all winer) add fuel stabilizer from motorcycle, snowmobile or marine shop - run engine for a few minutes to get mixture into the carb bowl and DO NOT DRAIN IT - the stabilizer will keep everything the way it should be.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #14 - 06/17/06 at 13:16:15

Thanks everyone!  

I tried to fill up on the 100 km. point, so it would be easy to keep track, but it doesn't work out nicely like that.  So, instead, I write down the mileage on the gas receipt at each fill-up, or just fill up in the same town on the way home from work - unless I do extra side trips elsewhere.

A few weeks ago, the bike sputtered and died after going up a large hill.  I got it going again - seemed to run fine, but then about 20 min. later it sputtered and stalled again.  Since I didn't think my tank was low enough to need the reserve - these two things unnerved me because I wondered what the heck was up with the bike(?)   Anyway, I switched to reserve and went to the nearest gas station.  After I filled it up, it seemed fine and was ok the rest of the day = so it must have just needed the fuel - although it didn't take as many litres as it would have needed for the reserve(?)   My husband thought that it might have been close enough to needing the reserve to be affected by the steeper hills.  Anyone else experienced this??

Anyway, I think on my work days, I will continue to fill up the tank at around 100kms.  so that I always have a full tank for the ride into work.  On other days, I might just ride it, change over to reserve when needed, and fill it up.  That way, I won't seem to be stopping to only put in @ $5 or $6 dollars worth of gas too!!!

Oh - except for one time that I accidentally selected premium gas instead of regular - I use regular gas for the bike.  I'm pretty sure our regular gas has an octane rating of 87.  (I'm in Ontario, Canada)

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fill up before needing reserve or not???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.