Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I had two scarey moments today... (Read 14 times)
starmom
Ex Member

I had two scarey moments today...
06/17/06 at 17:43:49

Shocked

Ok, So Im ridin my  bike to a reefkeeprs meeting (I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank with corals and fishies)

anyhow, as im comming thru a light and there is a turn, my back tire catches some gravel or sand or somthing like that, and i can feel my back tire sliding out alittle i lightly let off the throttle until i got thru it, but I held on, and keep the rubber side down, then im going down the road, its kinda hilly and where i had to make a left turn i had to stop on an uphill and wait for traffic, once i had my opening thankfully i waited until it was a huge opening, no more cars comming i went to go and stalled out and then restarted and stalled again and then the bike leaned left and went over "in the middle of the lane"  so thankfully since the 650 is not a very heavy bike and i have lifted it once before i went to pick it up but i was still in gear  so it wouldnt roll, thankfully i pulled in the clutch and then it got moving but this was scarey because i could have easily been run over by a car flying over the hill and not seeing me and the bike on the  other side. a nice lady in a mini van was kind enough to ask if i needed any help which i didnt think that i did, and she probably flashed any cars that were comming in my direction.

I rode up the block to my meeting, alittle shook up because i realized how easily i could have gotten really hurt or killed in that moment. :'(

Its part of the learning process, everyone makes mistakes such as these in the beginning, I only hope i never experience that again that my brain body connection knows now how to avoid that.

its also probaby due to the fact that was i think in 2nd gear instead of first that it stalled.......... ???

NO damage that i can see, the only thing that happened was that my rear view mirror got knocked alittle loose, and thankfully for that little took kite i broke out the wrench and fixed that quickly.

would appreciate some imput...

Thanks

Sue (with the sore shoulder from an older injury now aggravated by lifting that beautiful bike) Tongue

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Re: I had two scarey moments today...
Reply #1 - 06/17/06 at 19:06:55

Scary story Sue.

Glad you're alright, safe and sound. I betcha there isn't a one of us that haven't had similar incidents and recognized the lessons learned in the incident. That's the key... to walk away unscathed and take a lesson learned with you. Real-life learnings stick with you way longer than any kind of training and stuff. Just glad the real life incident didn't cause you any harm.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 06/17/06 at 19:39:04

Glad to hear you are OK and the bike didn't get hurt. It could of been worst and you learned a lot in just a few seconds. Try finding a dirt road and pratice some hard rear tire braking to get used to having the rear slip. You don't need to go fast, first gear will do, getting used to the feel is all you want. Sounds like the stall and fall was because you were still a little shook up from the skid, common with new riders, you will get over it with more saddle time. Keep at it, it gets better Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/17/06 at 20:04:47

For me, gravel is always an unknown variable. I mean, sometimes it's visible, sometimes it's not, some kinds are slippery, others not as much. I've slid on it a few times over the years when I didn't see it. Just like a car, it's good to countersteer when the rear breaks loose to keep it upright until you get traction & straighten it out. I always look for gravel in a turn & sometimes I see it, sometimes I "find" it. Probably goes back to my bicycle days when I wiped out hard in a turn; gravel & front brake. Glad you got through the day safely. The first times are the scariest.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 06/17/06 at 20:23:58

Sue,

Sounds like you handled the loose gravel situation.  Dropping the bike behind a blind hill does sound dangerous.  I never even thought about that.  

I had a bit of a scare today, too. On a two lane, rural road, I went around a curve and started up a hill.  Then I see a van Coming toward me in the other lane.  Actually the van was about 3 feet into my lane and headed directly toward me.  The guy driving the van was talking on a cell phone,  not paying attention, and let the van wander.  I have to say that scared me enough to get my heart racing.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 06/17/06 at 20:50:54

Ok everybody else has told you how to handle the gravel/sand. How bout that left turn you were making? I usually/almost always go past my turn and come back when I have to make a naked left. Hills and curves just complicate an already dangerous situation. On those naked lefts you are just that, naked. No protection what so ever. Just you hanging out in the middle of the lane with traffic comming from both directions. Maybe they'll see you, maybe they won't. One time of brakes squealing and looking in the mirror to see that 6000 pound SUV sliding up to your rear fender and you will never want to make that turn again. that would most definatly be the wrong time to stall and drop. This is also a very good reason to keep your bike in 1st gear at stop lights and stop signs. I never go to neutral. The split second that it takes me to jam it in gear maybe the split second that gets me out of harm's way. Glad you were not injured and the bike was unscathed. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 06/17/06 at 21:08:23

every ride is a lesson, hopefully a good one.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/17/06 at 23:27:36

Sue:

So glad you were not hurt and neither was your bike...those blind turns are bad...I also will go past and turn around and come back to that street.  You were very lucky and I am glad your guardian angel was watching over you... 8)

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/18/06 at 03:34:17

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
How bout that left turn you were making? I usually/almost always go past my turn and come back when I have to make a naked left.

Good suggestion / recommendation. Just popped that one in my back pocket for future reference.

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #9 - 06/18/06 at 05:18:07

If you don't do this already, you can use your rear brake to hold your bike on a hill while you get your RPMs up and start letting out the clutch.  If you realize you're in a higher gear, just squeeze the clutch and kick it down into first gear while still using the rear brake to hold the bike on the hill.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/18/06 at 05:58:03

that was what i was trying to do, foot on the right side of the bike on the brake, and turnig the bike left, got too much lean and she just went down........

I appreciate all the kind words that were positive and encouraging and the tips...

I know I still have alot to learn and in the future I will go past the turn and turn around safely.

Its amazing how different the landscape of the road is; i was just at this location earlier in my toyota4runner then left to pick up my daughter and returned to the meeting on the bike. You just dont notice the incline as much.

My husband took my bike out this am (he picks up is HD l200) at the end of the week, we went out into the hilly neighboorhoods and did alot of practice of just this type of situation, I think it make him think of how much heavier his bike is gonna be and how much he does not want to be in this situation.  too boot we found out early this am that one of our friends 42yr old died last nite of a heart attack, heavy smoker and drinker all his life, never exercised ever.

its scared him that this happened to me, he told me never to do that again!!!!!  I told him I would try not too, we have two kids to raise.....8-l51/2.

Hey have a great fathers day to you all!

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #11 - 06/18/06 at 07:19:41

Wow. I just re-read my last post and I want to appoligize if I came off as an @ss. I wasn't trying to preach. I truely am glad you are ok and that should have been the priority of the post but I was really just trying to help you prevent such situations in the future.

WWW   IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #12 - 06/18/06 at 08:12:27

I think we all want to hear stories ending well. As a newbie too I feel with you and I am happy you were lucky.
I had almost the same story once when I was a child except it happened on a bicycle. I could hardly wake up after falling off it. The most fearful in it was being behind the peak alone and waiting what will overrun me.

Glad you and the bike are OK.

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/18/06 at 08:26:37

I'm coming in late, and have nothing to add except glad you're OK.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/18/06 at 09:00:15

steelwolf its totally fine, I didnt feel anything bad about your post.  I appreciate all the tips that anyone can share with me.

I totally didnt take it badly at all........

thanks again......and Yes im glad im ok and I will take advantage of all stratigies that will keep me safer even if it take longer to get there..............

sue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I had two scarey moments today...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.