Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
:)Speedo / Bike Computer Mod... Wireless? (Read 4 times)
BINO
YaBB Newbies

Yucaipa, CA
:)Speedo / Bike Computer Mod... Wireless?
06/05/06 at 16:02:38

Hey all, another newbie with a newbie question.  I have read all kinds of folks on here added a bike speedo to have a trip meter... I was just wondering if anyone has added a WIRELESS bike computer to their savage... if so, how is it different from the standard mod... (besides the obvious lack of wires)...

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re:  :)Speedo / Bike Computer Mod... Wireless
Reply #1 - 06/05/06 at 18:45:50

I have heard that wireless doesnt work because of the electrical interference from the engine ect.  I believe that is a very plausible conclusion.  The wire isnt that big of a deal.  Just mount it with a little slack so the forks can move up and down without dislodgin the sensor.  I put my wire on the left side where the brake line goes so I could zip tie it in place.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 06/06/06 at 08:05:51

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have heard that wireless doesnt work because of the electrical interference from the engine ect.  I believe that is a very plausible conclusion.  The wire isnt that big of a deal.  Just mount it with a little slack so the forks can move up and down without dislodgin the sensor.  I put my wire on the left side where the brake line goes so I could zip tie it in place.

Hope this helps.  

Believe me, wireless is worthless, does NOT work.

Magnet is on the brakedisk, wire curled around the brakeline and indicator on the handlebar. Works OKE for the past 2 years . Approx. 200 hours of riding time.
My first installation(still there)

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/06 at 13:02:03

I tried a wireless on my XR650 and couldn't get a reading - don't know if it was due to distance or electrical interference. One issue with bicycle speedometers is that they don't react to speed changes quickly. I ended up using a Trail Tech Panoram computer that's modified for dirt bikes - about $70, I believe.

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/09/06 at 15:35:24

My Bike Planet computer works pretty well. It has a little lag time with the speed, but not much. It gives useful info, trip time, total distance, avg speed. Not to mention the ODO, clock, and thermometer. All for $25.

IP Logged
LeeRider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/06 at 18:37:53

I installed a Sears bike speedo....$7.50 on clearance.   2 weeks ago.  Just fine tuning the calibration to read exactly the same as my odometer on trips.  Installation is very much like that pictured above, with only 2 minor differences...

1.  I had to solder an extra 12" or so length of 2 conductor wire to extend the distance from the hall sensor to reach the handlebars.  
2.  For most of the length, I ran the sensor wire inside of spiral wire loom to protect it and make it look nicer.  You can buy the stuff at RadioShack or some auto parts places.  In one section, I ran the sensor wire inside the stainless steel spring that protects the front brake hose so it's a very clean looking install.  No exposed wires anywhere.

TIP -  when you epoxy (or JB Weld) the magnet to the brake disc, don't get the magnet too close to the bolt heads, which secure the brake disc to the wheel.  I had mine initially very close to one of the bolt heads and it caused an irregular double pulse and would not read speed correctly.  I was pretty sure I wasn't rolling down my driveway at 20mph without the engine being on!   I guess the magnet was affecting the bolt head.  I relocated the magnet to be equally spaced between 2 of the bolts and it works amazingly well.  Response is immediate.

As a plus, I can now see my speed without tilting my helmet down to see the top of the fuel tank, or needing to take my eyes off the road.

IP Logged
BINO
YaBB Newbies

Yucaipa, CA
Reply #6 - 06/09/06 at 22:51:00

Thanks SO much for ALL of the great input! I will definitely take all of your advice!  I guess the next question = which is a good computer to use? Undecided

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/10/06 at 07:27:39

There are many available. Many here use a Sigma. I went to my local bicycle shop to see what they had. No Sigma, but several other brands. Picked one I liked, but I too had to extend the sender wire to reach. If you go that route, measure the distance you need before you go look.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › :)Speedo / Bike Computer Mod... Wireless?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.