Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 easy solutions for the newbies (Read 13 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
2 easy solutions for the newbies
06/08/06 at 08:26:55

#1 Problem:  Hard to shift from Nuetral to first when the bike is stopped

Release and pull in the clutch again.  It should be easier to shift to 1st.  (Beats stomping on the shift pedal)

# 2 Problem:  the bike back fires when I stop

NOT to negate the effectiveness of the jetting solutions noted on here elsewhere.  

Before turning off the bike, gently rev the trottle to clear the gas from the exhaust and let the engine idle down a little, turn off the engine.  As if by magic, for me, no more backfire.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 2 easy solutions for the newbies
Reply #1 - 06/08/06 at 09:45:19

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
#1 Problem:  Hard to shift from Nuetral to first when the bike is stopped

Release and pull in the clutch again.  It should be easier to shift to 1st.  (Beats stomping on the shift pedal)

In general, it'll shift easily while in motion.  If you stomp on the shifter, you'll probably bend the roughly 6-inch linkage rod and then really have problems until you repair/replace it.  If you're prone to stomping, order a spare to keep with you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #2 - 06/09/06 at 07:56:03

I don't stomp any more since I've found this easy solution.  I too usually shift while in motion.  But, every once in a while, I miss it or need to be in nuetral while I'm stopped somewhere briefly.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/09/06 at 08:27:45

I've been riding this darn bike for 4 (5?) years and never learned the clutch trick!  Works well.  I've always jsut rolled it back a little or throttled it a hair.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/09/06 at 09:43:37

Yup, just feather it a bit to engage the current gear and then shift.  The linkage rod is something in the vicinity of $5 and is small and easy to carry, so I have a spare.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/06 at 11:59:52

And if the clutch trick doesn't do it, roll the bike ahead or back a couple inches and try again.  Cheesy

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 06/09/06 at 13:55:09

Ya, took me about 1 month to learn that stomping does no good.  I was rolling back and forth until I accidentaly pulled the clutch in again and WALA!!   Works every time!

WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 06/09/06 at 16:56:40

Once in a while, she act up doesn't want to go to first from second. I feather the clutch and roll the throttle up a bit. It seems to get to it unstuck inside our beloved gear box and let me put it in first.  VERY RARELY I have to do this. The longer I ride her, the more I know how she behaves Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2 easy solutions for the newbies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.