Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Addressing Backfire Problem (Read 4 times)
Tomv
Ex Member

Addressing Backfire Problem
05/28/06 at 15:13:58

I have a 2005 S40 and will be working to fix the backfire problem.  If I have trouble shaving the spacer down I need to know how to ask for, or find, the #4 washers.  Are they SAE or Metric?  Dealer item or Hareware store?
Thanks for your help....This is a great site and the posting have helped this old 'Geezer' out.

Is there any other items I need to replace?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Addressing Backfire Problem
Reply #1 - 05/28/06 at 16:55:57

Tomv wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I have a 2005 S40 and will be working to fix the backfire problem.  If I have trouble shaving the spacer down I need to know how to ask for, or find, the #4 washers.  Are they SAE or Metric?  Dealer item or Hareware store?
Thanks for your help....This is a great site and the posting have helped this old 'Geezer' out.

Is there any other items I need to replace?

Say to the clerk "I need a number4 washer, please." He will know what you want. BTW, I just did the spacer mod and it took about 15 minutes to file the spacer. I spent more time taking off the top cap screws than any other part of the carb mod. They are soft crap metal. If you don't have replacement screws yet, get them. Also a set of needle nose vice grips makes it much easier as three of the four screw heads stipped on the first try.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 05/29/06 at 16:18:04

this week I am experimenting with a no spacer mod. So far so good. I will report to the group.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #3 - 05/29/06 at 16:31:54

You'll definately want to replace the screws on top.  They're 5 mm diameter, 10mm in length.  I recommend ones with allen heads.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 05/29/06 at 16:55:00

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
You'll definately want to replace the screws on top.  They're 5 mm diameter, 10mm in length.  I recommend ones with allen heads.

IIRC, they are a 28 thread.

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

28 tRe: Addressing Backfire Problem
Reply #5 - 05/29/06 at 17:53:41

not 28 thread, if they are metric they will m5 x some mm like .75 or .50 or 1.25 or a number like this which indicates how for the threads are from each other

IP Logged
Tom Valentine

Reply #6 - 05/29/06 at 18:02:37

Thanks for the info.  A machinest I had a talk with confused me about washer sizes so that was the 'what do I ask for' bit.  I'll post how I make out with the carb mod.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 05/29/06 at 18:08:29

Tom Valentine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Thanks for the info.  A machinest I had a talk with confused me about washer sizes so that was the 'what do I ask for' bit.  I'll post how I make out with the carb mod.

We looking forward to your efforts.

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/29/06 at 18:30:13

Yes I know what you mean about the machinist confusing things, people tell me that sometimes, LOL

I'm a machinist with EXXON/MOBIL for 28 yeas now LOL, we sometimes forget that folks may not be familiar with the terms we use to describe things

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Addressing Backfire Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.