Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with some questions (Read 2 times)
Kev95GS
Ex Member

Newbie with some questions
05/25/06 at 10:28:48

Hello All,  

Newbie here.  My name is Kevin and I have a problem with motorcylcles....  not enough room in my garage for all that I want.   Wink  Grin  

Anyway, have an 86 Savage, 18K on the clock, for the wife but have  to do some work so she can ride it.    

I am in the process of changing the fork seals and brake pads (leaking seals do a super job of trashing brake pads)  

A few questions

1)  I have the forks off and drained the oil by pouring out the top of the tube.  Just wanted to make sure that I still need to remove the allen bolts at the bottom to pull the slider and get the seal out.

2)  It calls for 15w oil but the local dealer only had 10w and said it would be fine, a little responsive, any thoughts or experiences with 10w?

3)  I have also read many of the posts concerning the lean mixture.  I just put in a new float valve and needle ( had about 2 quarts of gas in the crankcase) and have the idle mixture screw at about 2.5 turns.  Would the 1/2 spacer help as well since the bike has the 155 jet?

Any other suggestions for a well running bike?

Thanks  in advance and I think this is a great site!

Kevin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Newbie with some questions
Reply #1 - 05/25/06 at 13:10:27

On the 86 you probably have an adjustable needle with three notches.  Moving the clip a notch will likely work instead of filing the spacer.  That will affect your midrange, while the jet size is the high end.  However, if the needle you put in is different from stock......

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/25/06 at 13:24:32

Gas in the crankcase....   better check the vacuum line from pet-thingy to carb (chrome spring covered).  If it has gas in it, the pet-thingy needs rebuilt or converted to off-on-reserve.  Just happened to me.
Bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 05/25/06 at 16:39:46

Let's go step by step:
Yes , You will have to remove the alen bolts on the bottom of the fork legs, so You can remove the seals without damaging the chrome surface.
10 weight oil will do just fine. If You want to go cheap- just go in any autoparts store and buy 1qt of ATF. It is at least as good as a cheap fork oil.
Before You start fixing the carb. issues, check to see what are Your problems.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Kev95GS
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/25/06 at 17:54:38

Thanks for the info guys.

I have already done the carb.  I believe my float valve was sticking or not closing.  It runs fine now & dosn't have gas coming back through the breather after the repair.

I think my pet "thingy" (guess its a censor thing) is OK as I don't have a gas leak when the tank is removed.  I assume, please correct me if I am wrong, that if it was bad I would have gas running without the vacuum pulling & eventually draining to the crankcase while the tank was mounted.       Yes / No?

I've not ridden the bike enough to know if it needs the spacer thinned, but it seems as though "others" (anybody watch LOST)   Cheesy   have been in the carb before me.  The plug was pulled on the idle mixture.  

I don't recall there being 3 positions for the clip, but I'll double check.  If not I may try a couple #4's & not trim the spacer. Then I can put it back if I need to.

I'm enjoying the project.  I think I might turn it into a flat tracker after the wife decides if she wants to keep it or get another bike.  Change the rake, remove the airbox, K&N, flat seat, high pipe.   Wink  I saw a pix of one somewhere on the web.  Any of you guys seen it or know who's it is?

Back to the garage.

Thanks again.

Kevin

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/25/06 at 19:18:30

Kevin,

If your petc*ck has a PRI (prime) position don't leave it on that as it will drain with vacuum added. It's easy to do if you run out of gas and turn it to PRI instead of reserve.  8)

Kevin too

IP Logged
Kev95GS
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/25/06 at 19:59:54

SeattleSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Kevin,

If your petc*ck has a PRI (prime) position don't leave it on that as it will drain with vacuum added. It's easy to do if you run out of gas and turn it to PRI instead of reserve.  8)

Kevin too

Thanks!  I didn't know that.  It does & I think it was.  That was probably it.   Shocked  Oh well, got a partially rebuilt carb now!   Grin

Any tips on rear wheel removal.  I just took it off on a jack and it was pain.  It's off now but I wouldn't mind it going back on easier.

Kevin

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/25/06 at 20:08:52

Is kind of a pain, I just figured out how many pieces of 2x4's to put under it, to bring it to the right height to slide the bolt through. I think it was two with the bike frame resting on my tool box.

There is a post here some where for a fairly easy to make bike lift. Probably search "bike lift"

Kev

IP Logged
Kev95GS
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/29/06 at 17:18:48

OK, I've got everything apart and laying on the bench.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to hold with the dowel.

Am I trying to hold at the top of the lower fork?  (Looks about like where the seal would be on the other side of the slider)

Or, at the bottom of the lower fork closer to the bolt at the bottom?

The position will determine how thick of a dowel I can use.

Still waiting on parts so I've just been checkin' everything out and doing a little cleaning.  Mama's bike needs to look as good as Mama!   Grin

Thanks

Kevin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:10:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with some questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.