Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
600 Mi Service notes, K&N filter thanks (Read 2 times)
MacAttack
Ex Member

600 Mi Service notes, K&N filter thanks
05/23/06 at 15:27:22

I did my 600 mile service last weekend - twice, having been ill the first time - here are a few things I learned.

The Permatex Gray high-temp silicone works fine so far.

When putting the cylinder head cover back on, be sure to have the engine at TDC on the compression stroke so there's no pressure from the cams through the rockers to the valves. This is easy to do; unscrew the inspection window, and line up the notches. If the cam lobes are pointing down, you did it; if not, turn the engine one more turn (counterclockwise, the way the wheels turn).
If you don't do this, you'll think the cover bolts are tight, but they won't be, and you may get a leak.

Also when putting the cover on, make sure the steel oil-capture screen is up inside the cover. I put the cover on, pinching a bit of it in between. Instant oil leak.

Don't bother adjusting the valves until the cover is back on. But - it's easier to adjust the valves if the two head cover bolts are out, so put all the bolts in except those, and put those in last.

The speedo cable goes OUTSIDE the frame, and put a towel over the starter motor (as noted elsewhere) to catch the little washer in the speedo cable.

It might also be worth letting the silicone gasket stuff set up for a few hours before going off for a ride.

Hope this helps the next guy  Smiley

Thanks for the K&N Drop-In filter # SU-6595. I live in a dust bowl in summer, and paper filters will get expensive.
cheers! Mac

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:02:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 600 Mi Service notes, K&N filter thanks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.