Send Topic Print
New tires? (Read 1 times)
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
New tires?
05/20/06 at 09:19:05

I drove a bike all through college (first a Honda 750 and then a Yamaha 650) but that was 15 years ago.  I just bought a '98 Savage and finally had a chance to take a drive on it.

It feels really light in the rear and I find myself being afraid to take curves and turns without slowing down to a crawl because I fear the rear end will slide out from under me.  Granted, it has been a while since I last rode so I am still getting comfortable with it, but I don't recall feeling this unsure on my last two bikes.

Both tires are original, I think, with 14,000 miles on them and they both have decent treads.

Am I just over-reacting to a newbie fear or would new tires make a difference?

Thanks.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: New tires?
Reply #1 - 05/20/06 at 10:40:32

I don't think with 14 K You will have too much thread left on the RR tire. If it is '98, probably these are the second tires. The best thing to do is go back in the postings and check the different tire reviews. But  You have to know, that every prime brand tire cost prime $.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/06 at 13:32:15

Tire compounds harden over time, so if you have the $, you'll probably want new tires before it rains much. I find the bike quite stable (I ride a dual-sported XR650R with DOT-legal knobbies, that might be part of it).  Perhaps you can find a parking lot or other space and practice progressively leaning the bike over.

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #3 - 05/20/06 at 14:12:30

Thanks for the replies.  By "decent" tread, I mean that they aren't bald.  The rear tire is a little worn in the center but the tread is what I would consider safe.

The front tire looks like new except for some signs of dry rot (not bad but noticeable.)  So I did consider the idea that the rubber has hardened.

Perhaps I will start with a new back tire and see how I like it then.  Hopefully the dealer will install tires purchased elsewhere because I can get them a heckofalot cheaper on-line.

Thanks.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 05/20/06 at 14:32:14

enophile wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The front tire looks like new except for some signs of dry rot (not bad but noticeable.)

yet, you did notice it.  Wink  time for a tire change.

as you practice that feeling will go away. so get out and ride ride ride.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #5 - 05/20/06 at 14:41:28

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
yet, you did notice it.  Wink  time for a tire change.

as you practice that feeling will go away. so get out and ride ride ride.

Yeah, you're right.  Tires are expensive, though.  ...but I guess the life I save could be my own, right?

I do need to ride more and I'm hoping my apprehension on curves will go away soon.  Last time I drove a bike, it was in the midwest where it is flat and straight.  Now I'm in West Virginia where it is hilly and curvy.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 05/20/06 at 17:23:38

Try firming up your shocks and see if that helps.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #7 - 05/20/06 at 19:16:22

Please!  Put some new tires on your bike.  Metzler has a nice set.  Spend the bucks you need to.  About the time you hit a decreasing radius turn and you are going in a bit hot, the few dollars you save on poor tires doesn't mean very much.

Ride safe - it's the only way to go!

Jack H.

P.S.  Have been riding 59 years now, and so far so good.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 05/20/06 at 19:18:45

And check the pressure in the tires as well. My bike will handle diffrently depending on my pressure. 1 pound is alot in a tire that has that low a volume.

WWW   IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #9 - 05/21/06 at 05:30:47

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
And check the pressure in the tires as well. My bike will handle diffrently depending on my pressure. 1 pound is alot in a tire that has that low a volume.

I did check the pressure before my first ride and set them both to what the manual suggested.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 05/22/06 at 08:33:03

when i bought my wife's '96, it only had 6700 miles on the clock, the rear tire was/is a brand new dunlop K555, the front WAS origional, good tread but hard with age. the first time i went to stick it into a corner and it washed on me, it immediately came off, and a new dunlop d404 went on. now you can put that bike anywhere you want and it sticks. the tire compounds in use today harden quickly with age, regardless of miles.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #11 - 05/22/06 at 09:33:58

Last time I drove a bike, it was in the midwest where it is flat and straight.  Now I'm in West Virginia where it is hilly and curvy.

ShockedHello! I want to be where you are!! It is so straight,  You find a hill or curve around here and you have to ride back and forth on it all day to cure the need for curves.  Loved the ride to TN-NC, just beautiful Grin  

Oh yea,  tire pressure was a big one for me.  If you only have checked once, check again especially if they have that many miles on them.  New Tires are on my have to haves this season.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/22/06 at 18:25:01

The Savage in front of my house has a Cheng Shin rear and IRC front (my second one, it was free). Get yourself a set of premium tires, the Dunlop 404s on my Vulcan have 6K miles on them, and still look brand new. When I get the Savage ridable again, it is getting D404s or Metzelers.

If you run at what Suzuki recommends, you are running with dangerously underinflated tires. They set the factory recommendation so low to compensate for the stock suspension.

Get yourself some good tires, swap the front end oil out for 15 or 20 weight, add some HD shocks, and go ride the wheels off of it. It will be at least twice as responsive in the twisties with the shortcomings repaired.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #13 - 05/22/06 at 19:18:30

Thanks for all the tips.  I guess I'll be buying some tires soon.  I'm not overly cheap, I just didn't want to rush out and buy tires from a knee-jerk reaction.

I had a chance to take a fairly long drive yesterday for the first time and I did find myself becoming more comfortable on curves, but I could definitely feel the back end wanting to give -- and the front sometimes as well.

This thing is most-decidedly a blast to drive!  I bought it as a learning bike with plans to trade it in for a larger one after a season or two.  But now I say why?  It is fun to drive, powerful, and full of spunk.  ...and it's paid for!

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 05/23/06 at 13:47:20

I had a chance to take a fairly long drive yesterday for the first time and I did find myself becoming more comfortable on curves, but I could definitely feel the back end wanting to give -- and the front sometimes as well.

When you say you can feel the back end wanting to give, do you mean to say you can sense the tire is about to break traction?  More likely, what you feel is skittish suspension. Did you try firming up your rear shocks? No offence cstout, but maybe it's you. Do you find yourself changing speeds and lean angles in the turns. Try holding steady through the turns and nail your apex before increasing your speed. Go back and do the same curve numerous times until you are smooth and at 80 percent of your skill. Keep your eyes where you want to go. If after this, you still believe your bike is stepping out, preventing you from riding comfortably,  we can come up with some options to rectify your Savage.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:33:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New tires?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.