Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smoke seeping out of cyclinder casing top? (Read 3 times)
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Smoke seeping out of cyclinder casing top?
05/17/06 at 16:09:32

Hi,
I was supposed to collect my new bike, a 1993 suzuki Savage 2 days ago from a motorbike shop here in Dublin. I warmed the bike up and then took it around the block for a 10 minute test driveand then I noticed the following problem. I parked sat on the bike outside the shop and it was turning over okay but then I noticed a small amount of white smoke coming out of the top of the cyclinder casing on the left hand side. The whole engine felt very hot. I told the shop mechanic who was a bit surprised about this problem and he said they would take it back in and try to fix this. I know that this bike has been sitting up in the showroom for the last 12 months. Unfortuneately I had to leave the bike there and get the bus home!!Sad

The mechanic said he would order and install a new head gasket this week? What else could have caused this smoke problem?

Is it a well known issue?

Could there be crud inside the cyclinder and dirt on the piston from having been laid up for so long. Maybe this was just been burnt off?

Should the engine oil level be in the middle between the hi and low marks in the window. Mechanic said to fill it to top mark was wrong as it could make it harder for engine parts to move in the oil. Is this correct?

Hope you guys can help as I dont want to have to give up on this lovely bike and take my money back. They are quiet rare bikes in Ireland as its a german import. It's under a standard 3 month guarantee from this shop.

Thanks, Tomohawk.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Smoke seeping out of cyclinder casing top?
Reply #1 - 05/17/06 at 16:56:40

No, that is not a common problem at all.  Thre are some of those, but you will hopefully get the chance to learn about them.

As far as the oil level, yes, between the two marks.  

In general, white smoke is a bad sign, though.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 05/17/06 at 17:35:16

Most probable- just some oil residue. If not- probably the famous rubber plug or the sealant between the head and the head cover. So far I have never heard about head gasket problem with Savages.
It is normal for this engine to feel HOT.
Ask the mechanic to let the bike idle for extended time nad see what will happen.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/06 at 18:35:20

Maybe it was the just the header gasket, which is also a pretty common problem,  but in most cases the smoke would come out from the front of the block.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 21:28:53

White smoke is usually steam or water vapor, blue is oil and black is excessive fuel in either gas or diesel. So white would be water and the savage is air cooled so I'd suspect water left over from the predelivery cleaning process. Savages do not have any history of bad head gaskets, only the plug/cap above the head retaining nut behind the exhaust header. See the tech forum pages onhow to identify this leak. If the leak has been fixed it takes a couple days running to dry out the oil in the pocket behind the plug/cap. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/18/06 at 02:04:54

Thanks for the replies lads, it really helps you know. Smiley It was more steam than smoke I should say at this point that was seeping out of the cyclinder head top. Yes definetely steam!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 05/18/06 at 05:58:43

Yeah, I'm with Max on that.  It sounds like something pooled in the recesses near the sparkplug and was just burning off after getting the engine hot enough.  The engine will get quite hot and will do it quickly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:51:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smoke seeping out of cyclinder casing top?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.