Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another newbie........ (Read 1 times)
olscout99
Ex Member

Another newbie........
05/15/06 at 18:04:56

Well, contrary to the post further down that's mostly from females that just got Savages, I'm an almost 300 pound six foot guy that just got one! I took the MSF class last fall, and almost right afterwards got a smoking deal on a Suzuki GSX1100G. For somebody that hadn't ridden in over 30 years, and whose biggest ride was a 450 Honda (when a 450 WAS pretty big), that G was pretty intimidating. I really didn't NEED (or should I say I wasn't ready for) 11 second quarter miles with a 140 mph top end and an over six hundred pound bike, although the shaft drive was kewl Smiley
So, I gave a friend a deal on the G, made some  money, and now I've got a lil Zuke. For me, I think the Savage will be about right- I'm looking at weekend rides, a hundred miles or less, just basically stress relief and tooling around having fun on the back roads. I'm already checking out a Screaming Eagle pipe- thanks to whoever posted those sound clips, that was an easy choice to make! And, I'll delve into the carb (I do love that, CARB instead of 'carbs') and make the fixes there too.  One question is, I read all the posts on the forward controls....but does anybody have a pattern or template that they're selling or donating for the good of the order? I'm thinking the forward controls will just about make it ideal, and I have the stuff I need to cut and work the steel....but a pattern would sure save some time. Thanks in advance, and I'll be around soaking up knowledge and reporting when something works (or doesn't).

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Another newbie........
Reply #1 - 05/15/06 at 19:25:19

Welcome. The Savage has plenty of power after you tweak it like most of us have done. A very fun around town bike for sure.

We do need some patterns for forwards posted. I think there's a couple guys here who have made some up recently. I'd like to find someone with a CNC machine who could crank some out at a reasonable cost.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 05/15/06 at 20:23:16

If you'll send me your address, I'll send you the paper work Ed_L sent me on how he made his forward controls. I used them as a starting point for making my own. Even comes with a CD of pics that Ed took of his. And if Ed will chime in here and gimme the ok I'll post pics of the paper work and dimensions here in the tech section. But it's his design so he will have to give permission first. Lips Sealed

WWW   IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #3 - 05/17/06 at 05:21:25

Welcome olscout99

This is one of the best sites you'll ever come accross!
Unless there's one that gives you $100 every time you log on!! Grin
The friendliness and advice is second to none!

I am in the middle of a ground up rebuild of my 1991 Savage that I have had for about 7 years. I rode it for about 2 then took it off the road with a view to rebuild/mildly customize her. There she sat while a variety of bikes shared her garage incl FZR 600, CBR 600, Bandit 600 and now a Kawasaki W650!! Undecided

The latter being bought as it was 2 years since I sold the Bandit and I was fed up not going out on rides. It was relatively cheap, so I bought it as a stop gap!
Progress on the Savage has been, to say the least slow, and I have recently moved house in January to a place with sheds but no garage, so that hasn't helped.

Anyway my point is that this site has given me renewed vigour to get on with her Roll Eyes. I too am looking forward to doing the carb mods, but as mine is a UK spec, I need to check all the standard settings before tampering. The UK emmision laws are not as strict!!
I need to get another shed, which I have, put up so I can finally set to work on her!
The main problem with this site is that it is so darned interesting reading other people's problems, I spend too much time on here and not working on her!! Cheesy
Ha Ha!! Enjoy!! Wink

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 05:51:53

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Welcome. The Savage has plenty of power after you tweak it like most of us have done. A very fun around town bike for sure.

We do need some patterns for forwards posted. I think there's a couple guys here who have made some up recently. I'd like to find someone with a CNC machine who could crank some out at a reasonable cost.

Yeah, if somebody could turn out kits for a reasonable price (say a buck and a half, buyer does the finishing) I'd be all over that just for the time savings. I'm just sorry I missed getting one of the kits Ed L. had posted to sell a while back Sad

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #5 - 05/17/06 at 05:59:21

~~WELCOME~~
With just over 2100 miles on my '06 I'm still finding the more I ride it the more I love it!

I'm only 5'6" but am still thinking about forward controls.  I don't feel cramped, but I think I would like the stance...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/06 at 06:55:22

Since each frame is a tad different I wouldnt trust a templet.   Torque and I used this link from Nighttrain

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1115652141

The reason I say this is because my controls wouldnt bolt up to his frame.  Wierd but enough off to make it a pain in the butt.

All I can say is measure measure measure.  Use 3/8 steel or alum because it will fit up fine with the stock bolts.  I think Ed or someone used 1/2 and had to cut the tubes down.  

If you want try making a cardboard cutout and see how it fits.  Might take a couple of times with some cardboard but it will save u time and money i the long run.

Doing the brake extension and shift linkage without a welder will be tough thou.  I know u can order a longer shifter linkage but it will take 6-8 weeks and thats a long time to wait.  PLUS if it doesnt fit that will sux.

We just cut the linkage in half and welded a pipe in the middle and welded it back up.   The brake extension we made a fork like bracket and it works great.

good luck

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/17/06 at 17:10:37

what are you all taking about with foward controls?

Im completely lost................you taking about gear shifts?   ???

sue

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/17/06 at 17:24:06

Forward controls extend your footpegs, rear brake and shifter forward and allows you to stretch out more and not feel so cramped when riding or to tire so easily on a longer ride.

I'd love to have them on my bike but it would entail losing my Wingerline bar and shelling out $500 or so, so I guess that will have to wait for another day.  Grin

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 05/17/06 at 17:26:26

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

sue  

Sue, they are dicusing making brakcets that bolt to the frame and allow the brake , gear shift and pegs to be set forward from their origional position. The problem then becomes the linkage. Its only a problem when your six feet or taller. hope that helps.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 05/18/06 at 02:21:36

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

sue  

A picture: saves 1000 words.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:33:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another newbie........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.