Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage for long road trips? (Read 14 times)
Chris Brown

Savage for long road trips?
05/06/06 at 00:36:20

Has anyone taken a Savage on a long (7-10 day) road trip?  Any comments/suggestions?  I'm looking at a 2000 Savage with low miles to use for everyday commuting and for the occasional roadtrip but I've heard that a long interstate trip would be too hard on the single cylinder engine which would, in turn, be too hard on me.  Vibrations from the engine and struggling with crosswinds and semis because of the bike's light weight, I suppose.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Savage for long road trips?
Reply #1 - 05/06/06 at 04:33:02

Chris Brown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Has anyone taken a Savage on a long (7-10 day) road trip?  Any comments/suggestions?  I'm looking at a 2000 Savage with low miles to use for everyday commuting and for the occasional roadtrip but I've heard that a long interstate trip would be too hard on the single cylinder engine which would, in turn, be too hard on me.  Vibrations from the engine and struggling with crosswinds and semis because of the bike's light weight, I suppose.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I use mine for commuting and its perfect for that purpose. I've got some parts on order and few that have arrived in order to rid the bike of the lean backfiring condition that will shorten the engine life. I have no doubt that the bike would do fine on long trips the main limit would be the small fuel tank. As for cross winds and semi vortexs they effect all riders, no matter what size bike they ride. IMHO, if you like the bike and the price is fair, buy it. Use the resources provided here and modify the bike for your riding needs. I budgeted $300 for upgrades and so far I am well under that even after shelling out around $50 for a new K&N air filter. check ebay for a sportster or softail muffler, they usually go for under twenty five dollars. Carb jets are a few dollars each and the spacer mod is pennies. hope that helps.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 05/06/06 at 06:46:11

I don't really see a problem with the road trip either. My 96 will do 70 for the couple hours between fill ups no problem. In fact I have ridden all day (8hrs) 60-65 on the country roads around here. Stopped to fill up a few times and twice to let my riding partner empty the coffee we had that morning.  If you buy it come on back and share with the rest of us.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/06/06 at 12:31:41

the #1 best thing you can do to make longer-distance rides more enjoyable is to buy a fairing. If money's an issue, strap your sleeping bag up on the handlebars to cheat the wind, so to speak.  I'd do a long ride on it, but not if I were in a hurry. This bike seems to ride well at 55 but the vibration gets to me at 65.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/06/06 at 18:58:38

I have taken my Savage for a week long road trip and enjoyed it. I had no big issues with the bike and I was comfortable enough. If you search all my posts and scroll down to Sept. 2005 you can read my 6 part story.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
chriss

Reply #5 - 05/07/06 at 01:14:55

This wednesday, Im leaving on a cross country trip from Portland Or to Virginia. Cruising at 60 to 75 mph, the bike will handle it all day and not break a sweat. The problem is even tho the bike handles well at these speeds , it is a very light weight bike and you cant relax as much as you can on heavier machines. You wil wear out before the bike does.  This is why we plan on limiting our rides to 250 to 300 miles a day. Which breaks down to 5 or 6 hrs a day. Plenty enough riding time for any size bike. Any more than that and you get physically and mentally tired and then its dangerous. The bike does not handle well in strong winds. I will not ride on those days but the normal buffeting from semi's on the interstate is no problem. You will not blow over.... The vibration is minimal. The addition of a fork brace helps for vibration. The stock grips are crap, so invest in better grips and wear gloves. You want to see some bad vibration, ride a Sporster for a day! I developed a stutter!

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 05/07/06 at 06:54:05

now that is f-f-f-f-funny!! Cheesy

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 05/07/06 at 10:20:54

ChrisS wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
This wednesday, Im leaving on a cross country trip from Portland Or to Virginia. Cruising at 60 to 75 mph, the bike will handle it all day and not break a sweat. The problem is even tho the bike handles well at these speeds , it is a very light weight bike and you cant relax as much as you can on heavier machines. You wil wear out before the bike does.  This is why we plan on limiting our rides to 250 to 300 miles a day. Which breaks down to 5 or 6 hrs a day. Plenty enough riding time for any size bike. Any more than that and you get physically and mentally tired and then its dangerous. The bike does not handle well in strong winds. I will not ride on those days but the normal buffeting from semi's on the interstate is no problem. You will not blow over.... The vibration is minimal. The addition of a fork brace helps for vibration. The stock grips are crap, so invest in better grips and wear gloves. You want to see some bad vibration, ride a Sporster for a day! I developed a stutter!  

You are so correct about the sportster vibration. I had a 1969 model and it would numb your arms up the shoulders on a long ride. It was the main reason I sold it and bought a CB550. Plus the brake and shifter being on the wrong sides was a bit confusing at first.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #8 - 05/07/06 at 10:45:24

u guys need to try the 2004 and up sportys our 06 1200c is smooth as silk while riding and just the right amount of rumble when u stop.the engines are rubber mounted now. i would'nt take the savage cross country just because i cant stand how high it revs at 65 in 5th gear.at about the same rpm the sporty goes 100mph in 4th. the savage sucks on the highway,u'll find this out when try to pass a line of cars Tongue

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/07/06 at 15:07:59

I did a few long days in the saddle with my 98.

The stock seat didn't work well for me, so I rebuilt it with ensolite and leather. Believe it or not, a harder seat will allow longer saddle times than a soft pillow seat.

The stock bars were a bit low, so it now has apehangers.

Simple carb tweaks will allow the bike to run smoother and more efficiently.

A set of Dunlop or Metzeler tires will work wonders in improving ride and handling. I rode mine from Long Beach MS to Baton Rouge LA on the stock IRCs. Once.

Spend some time and a little bit of money making the bike fit you properly. Invest in a good seat, shocks, and tires. Set the carb, exhaust and airbox up per the forum recommendations.

Where I work, people are always coming in with Savages/S40s. Never used to see them, now see 6 or 7 a week. All want windscreens, seats and new tires. Had one in Friday for tires, replacement lucite mini-fairing and new brake components. Not one of our forum members, but I told him about this site and he planned to check us out when he got back home... FWIW, his license plate was from Nova Scotia. I work in the Seattle area.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #10 - 05/07/06 at 17:11:43

My bike will go for hours at 70-75 and with minimal vibration.  Did add new grips and gel seat.  After mods I dont hit 4th until 60mph, and everything about the bike is much happier at higher speeds now.  We zoom zoom with the big boys just fine.  Infact I am sure we have more fun! Wink

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Chris Brown

Reply #11 - 05/09/06 at 21:30:30

Thanks for all the input, guys.  I ended up buying the bike.

CB

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 05/10/06 at 05:20:00

Welcome to the Savage family.

Put up a post or two about your experiences especially if you take a long ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:57:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage for long road trips?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.