Send Topic Print
Help on buying a S40 (Read 0 times)
dodd572001
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Help on buying a S40
05/02/06 at 18:08:46

Please help. S40 or S50 I am a male 5' 6" 150 pounds.     Want to ride on interstate some not to mutch. Please help. Thanks !

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Re: Help on buying a S40
Reply #1 - 05/02/06 at 18:20:10

The S40 should be a perfect size for you and very manageable. Don't know about the S50 but I assume it's heavier, maybe a bit faster. Probably work good, too, though a little less easy to handle for commuting, maybe a bit better for interstate/highway.

IP Logged
dodd572001
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/02/06 at 18:24:01

Thanks for your input. Smiley

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 05/02/06 at 18:35:35

S50 is a better bike. Has longer life, has more power, fits the common understending for a bike , it is V-twin,has better brakes, so overall it is more of a bike. I've had couple of them, and I still have one and I am selling it.
And after I said all of this, I'll say that I ride my Savage every day, I enjoy it more, I have way more fun on it, and I am NOT selling it.
To work on a Savage is a walk in the park, compared with work on the Intruder. If You have a GOOD mechanic to tune the carb's the Intruder runs SWEET, but there are not too many guys who can or who will care to do it corect.
If You will carry a person behind , may be the Intruder is better.
If You are talking FUN, I think Savage is the way to go.
Like an investment, I think it is about the same, but the Savage seems just a little better /I might not be right/.
If it was me, I'd watch for somebody in his midlife crisis, who bought his Savage couple of years ago and put 1000-2000 miles, and now he just wants to get rid of it, and I'd snatch it for about $2500. After that will ride the hell out of it and will sell it for about $2000.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #4 - 05/02/06 at 19:27:53

I would look at the features for both models, and the price and see what seems best for you.  

For me, being short and lightweight, the Savage is perfect.  Yet, a friend of mine wants a larger bike and is looking at the various 800s that are available.  Yet, you can't beat the Savage for price!!!  In fact, I got mine at a fabulous price - which was great because we don't have lots of money to spare right now. Grin

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #5 - 05/02/06 at 19:28:18

The S50 will give you more power and aftermarket support.  The S40 will give you superb handling and as little weight as possible.  Neither one should be a stretch for you at 5'6" and neither one is a particularly heavy bike.  The more interstate you do, the more you'll want the S50, I think.  The more winding roads you do, the more you'll want the S40.  

Like Slavy said, the Savage/S40 is a piece of cake to maintain and customize.  The S50 will take a bit more work and upkeep.

I think you'd be happy with either one.  Take the one that appeals to you the most.  If you don't get the one that most gives you that special gut feeling, you'll be second guessing it the entire time you own the bike.

You might consider dropping by http://www.intruderalert.com/ and talking to them a bit.

In a perfect world, you could have both.  Grin

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 05/02/06 at 19:31:56

For a person of your size and considering the type of riding you'll do, the S40 would be perfect. It has a very low seat height and is quite light and maneuverable. It's the perfect beginner's bike.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/03/06 at 00:21:25

Have one of each at home.

The Savage gets better mileage, handles better, rides better, is faster, and costs much less to buy/maintain/operate.

The Intruder sounds better (if piped properly, stock sound is horrible). Intruder seat sits better, but the cover is lower quality. Comes with non-adjustable handlebars, set up for internal wiring. Same lights as the Savage (cheap).

You are in the right height range for either. Test sit both, test ride both if you can find a metric dealer who allows that (extremely rare these days, non-existent where I live).

Like previously suggested, check out IntruderAlert.com, find a guy named Polar Pilot, and talk to him. Went from Savage to VS1400, which is the same chassis as a VS800.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/03/06 at 08:04:38

when i bought om 06 s40 the s50 was about $2k more
im 5'9" 185# wife is bout 150# never been lackin in power just crank the stock shocks up to  or 5 when we go double up..
mods mix screcw,dyno jet kit,hardly daves muff..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:33:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help on buying a S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.