Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
electrical problem (Read 1 times)
stinger139

electrical problem
04/25/06 at 21:57:28

Im having a electrical problem and I cant figure it out.  Couldnt start my bike. Cranked over but would not start.  Hooked up a battery charger to the battery and it started and ran it for a mile.  Cruised into the garage and for some reason I used the  kick stand to shut the bike down which is not how I usually do it. I use the kill switch.  10 minutes later, it wont even crank over, it does nothing. Even with the charger hooked up. The battery is good, I had it tested under load. The lights work perfectly. So I guess Im having a electrical problem somewhere. I dont understand how it could run fine  and 5 minutes later absoultly nothing. Yes I have the kickstand up, the clutch in and ignition on.  I pushed the kickstand switch in and out and it looks ok.  I have my Clymer manual and Im going to try and trace the problem, any ideas where to start and has anyone had this problem before? Once again, when I hit the start switch, the lights work, the bike  is dead.. My Suzuki dealer will fix it but he's booked up till after the 15th of May, and probably charge me  $175,000.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: electrical problem
Reply #1 - 04/25/06 at 23:15:40

This is involved task. U probably have to follow the electrical schematic for trouble shooting. I would first check your ground from battery terminal's connection to the the frame. Then check for good continuity on each component(clutch switch, kickstand s/w, neutral s/w, cut-off s/w, starting s/w) that tie to the starting system. Even if you have everything in the correct position to start, it does not neccesary guaranty that 1 of these part is in perfect condition. As and aircraft mechanic, I think electrical problems give the most headache!@# Good luck Dude  Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/26/06 at 05:16:59

You need a digital voltmeter/multimeter - tested or not check the resting voltage of the battery after it's been sitting say over nite without the charger on it - 12.3 or less it's not going to work - 12.7 up it's aok and ensure you have good connections at the battery and all the connectors under the seat. Check the 2 20amp fusses while you have the seat off.

Do you get the initial click? that is the decompression slnd - if not - just as a quickie I'd likely bypass the kickstand kill switch.

IP Logged
stinger139

Re: electrical problemstinger
Reply #3 - 04/27/06 at 03:57:02

thanks! after checking out every possible circuit , i found the problem. under the kickstand is a small bolt. it was just lslightly loose. tightned it up and it fired right up.  i dontk know why, it has no electrical connections at all that i can see. once again thanks for the advice

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/27/06 at 06:28:57

Probably kept the sidestand from actuating its interlock.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/27/06 at 06:29:12

maybe it completes a ground or something.  I knew it was the kickstand switch!  Grin

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/27/06 at 12:48:03

One thing I do to any bike I get is to pull each electrical connector apart and fill the connector with silicone grease. This is available in an aerosol can as well as in tubes.
I do this because I live in the Pacific Northwest on the rainy side of the Cascades, and I ride a dirt bike. I've found it necessary to coat lightbulbs' contacts from time to time as well. It's just a good preventive measure in humid climates.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 03:27:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › electrical problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.