Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Park position on ignition. (Read 9 times)
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Park position on ignition.
04/17/06 at 20:16:07

Park is where you turn the key if you'd like to kill your battery while getting a coffee.
8)

Should I be posting my witty banter in the Cafe'. I do have a tendancy to turn it the wrong way though. Anyone replaced the ignition switch with an alternative?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Park position on ignition.
Reply #1 - 04/17/06 at 20:45:06

SeattleSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Park is where you turn the key if you'd like to kill your battery while getting a coffee.
8)

Guilty Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 04/18/06 at 03:57:35

I did that once.  I'm pretty conscious of the direction now.  However, the Odyssey battery is far more forgiving than the standard lead-acid types.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 04/18/06 at 07:00:40

This happens because:
1) Suzuki just HAD to position the ignition key in the most awkward spot  Angry, so that one can't even see to stick it in and pull it out (the key, folks! Grin)
2) We are accustomed to twisting our right hand upwards (towards the thumb) to kill the engine and pull out the key, and will do the same - twist upwards toward the left thumb - to kill  ??? we think  Shocked the Savage... the only thing we kill is the battery.

I am looking at repositioning the switch elsewhere, so it will be easier to rip the wires and jump start (and steal) her  Roll Eyes

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 04/18/06 at 07:10:30

you could just cut that lead and electrical tape it... If you change your ignition, you would have to carry the stock key for the gas tank too...  I doubt there would be any elecrtrical issues using an ignition from an HD.

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/06 at 10:03:37

Thanks vroom,

I would have changed the ignition and then realized I couldn't put gas in her. Ironic no? No dead battery, I just ran out of gas!

Kev

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/18/06 at 10:09:13

I hate where my ignition switch is !!  With my fat butt in the seat it sux to find the switch..  The older bikes had it by the center of the handlebars...  But I think they had probs. with water getting in...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 04/18/06 at 13:30:15

8)....

I've gone 10 minutes leaving the headlight on and still started strong.  A half hour coffee break with just the taillight burning should not have killed the battery.  You might consider a replacement.  AGM technology is good.

WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 04/18/06 at 15:59:46

8)

Should I be posting my witty banter in the Cafe'. I do have a tendancy to turn it the wrong way though. Anyone replaced the ignition switch with an alternative?

My old CB had the switch near the tank and it was exactly opposite from the savage. It took killing the battery twice for me to learn. I guess old habits die hard.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Park position on ignition.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.