Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ARE THE SBS CERAMICS THE BEST PAD UPGRADE? (Read 4 times)
The Newstrums
Ex Member

ARE THE SBS CERAMICS THE BEST PAD UPGRADE?
04/17/06 at 12:49:38

I'm not satisfied with my brakes and am going to upgrade pads, and probably swap to the stainless braided line, as well.  I'm not sure though if I should go with the ceramics or something else ( semi-metallics maybe ).  I've seen a few comments on here about the ceramics being hard on the rotor.  Is that true?  

Thanks,

Sarah

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: ARE THE SBS CERAMICS THE BEST PAD UPGRADE?
Reply #1 - 04/17/06 at 17:06:56

I've done both mods & for me it was worth it. Not a drastic change but at my weight (around 250) the front brake was scary weak. Biggest improvement with the SBS 581 pads is less fade doing a hard stop around 45 mph & up. I should have miked the rotor width when I switched last year. Doesn't look any thinner, just a little less shiny. Should be good for several more years I'd guess at this point.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 04/17/06 at 17:09:07

Sarah,

I've never used ceramic pads on my Savage or any motorcycle.  

I am, however, currently using ceramic pads on my car because they stop as well or better than the organic OEM pads and generate almost no dust.  On my car they provide good initial bite and good modulation.  I don't know if they are rough on rotors.  I've used them for a year and still like them better than any pads I've ever used.

Where can I buy a set for the Savage?  I'll be glad to test them out for you.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 04/17/06 at 17:12:39

I just this past weekend replaced my stock pads (which were almost completely worn out at 4600kms ... and I'm a very conservative Rider) with the SBS ceramics ... I've been told the SBS are a way better pad than the OEM pads ... I'll letcha know as the Riding Season unfolds how I'm feelin' about 'em ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/18/06 at 03:43:32

I have a set of the ceramics for my next change but I just put a set of sintered metal pads on her a little less than 18 months ago and they are holding up well.  I just changed the brake line to a braided stainless one last weekend and the difference is noticeable.  Some of that difference may be due to changing the fluid but I think the majority is due to reducing the expansion of the line during operation.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:53:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ARE THE SBS CERAMICS THE BEST PAD UPGRADE?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.