Carbs (Read 6 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Carbs
04/15/06 at 04:32:37

I've been reading up (Thanks Lancer for the Sudco/Mikuni tuning manual)on the HSR42/45/48 series of carbs, Very nice.
If I had the time again I would probably get a 42 or 45 instead of My Keihin FCR41.
The 42 wouldn't need any porting but with the valve sizes on the KLX and a bit of port work the HSR45 has the makings of a good road carb.

Of course this is total rubbish to all you Savage Guys out there who would be better off with one of Lancer's 36/38mm Mikunis depending on pipe.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Carbs
Reply #1 - 04/15/06 at 05:58:07

I do wish Suzuki would put in a little bit of engineering time to redo the head of the Savage, throw in an EFI or at least a better stock carb, and a decent exhaust.  Some body work would be nice too.  They could jump right in to the cafe racer market coming up.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 04/15/06 at 07:36:58

oH YEAH!    Put the better breathing 650 single into the Tempter 400 frame and I'd get it in a heartbeat:

I would prefer a standard riding position to the cruiser.  But I prefer the Thumper over anything available in a late-model standard.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/15/06 at 09:26:09

Yep, yep yep.

The new Ninja 650 twin is a nice machine too...from what has been said so far, though I have not had the chance to ride one.  I do not care for the ninja body work but instead prefer the naked bike look.  That bike does temp me some.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 04/16/06 at 06:20:19

The KLX has a 100mm bore and 2x37mm inlet and 2x32mm exhaust valves.
The Savage is 94mm bore and 2x33in, 2x28ex.
Going off bore size the Savage's valves could go up 1.5 to 2mm.
Just my 2 pence worth.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/16/06 at 08:05:12

I assume you are speaking of intake/exhaust valve diameter?
If so, I certainly agree that the valves NEED to be larger for sure.
For that matter, the bore could go up as well.  If/when I get the time I want to try a 100mm piston in the Savage.  I finally have the parts necessary to give it a try since I picked up Torque's bike. klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The KLX has a 100mm bore and 2x37mm inlet and 2x32mm exhaust valves.
The Savage is 94mm bore and 2x33in, 2x28ex.
Going off bore size the Savage could go up 1.5 to 2mm.
Just my 2 pence worth.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 04/16/06 at 17:18:35

Really stinks when all you need is a pilot jet. The HD retards act like you are from Mars when you ask about jets. The Suzuki dealer will order it but its a 5.00 part and they want 10.00. Put on a pod air filter.......main jet at 155, 1 #4 washer for spacer. a little lean on the low end but running nicely.
What's the K&N part # for the breather????

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 04/18/06 at 07:24:10

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
What's the K&N part # for the breather????

If you are looking for a POD filter, from my post int he tech sect., mods thread: b)  cut up airbox with angle grinder so that I could fit a KN pod filter directly to the carb  KN part number RC 1250, I think (2.25" ID)

If you want a direct replacement, go to the kn website and they have a model specific search feature.

A small independent local reapair shop should have all the jets you need.  If it is saturday, bring them beer.

Lancer,  I also agree that the savage NEEDS those larger valves...  at least after I get my new carb working properly... Tongue  Now, I also remember a thread about HC pistons.  Now that you have Torques melted/exploded savage, you may be able to see if there really is room in there for that! 10:1, maybe 11:1...

Anyway, the 38 mm VM you (i.e. Lancer, who else?)  sent me seems to be really good in the midrange where I more or less have it tuned.  Very smooth and responsive.  Can't quite get the main tuned either...  Still think it has something to do w/ the float.  Running a 290 right now.  Still sputters and dies at WOT.  The 300 seemed a little better.  Once I get the float issue figured out, I am not above drilling out the 290 to a 305...  When I do get it tuned,  I think I'll take it and my stock carb down to the dyno for some comparisons...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 04/18/06 at 09:23:27

I just found some interesting info on float level and tuning and will get it posted here shortly.  I think it may help your situation.

OK, the guideline I found suggests that if the engine is acting like it is too rich at full throttle, then lower the fuel level by 1mm in the bowl.  Then test ride to see if you have improvement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:10:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carbs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.